[GDT] Around the NHL [December 2023]

Coconuts

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Hell of a goal celly.  It's a classic now but I don't think anyone is more entertaining to watch after scoring a goal than Patrick Kane.  Hundreds of thousands of American kids have grown up watching the way he plays and he has really helped grow the game in the USA.  It's no surprise that most young American NHLers view him as their idol.

pkane.gif.7af837b80b592b02cc1385deb6b6dca3.gif

I honestly don't think it was Joseph's hit that took him out.  It looks like Kelly's hand or the butt end of his stick hit Larkin's jaw clean.  It's like a boxing knockout where the jaw doesn't get hit hard, but just the right/wrong way.

larkinhit.gif.71d00d38f570e92a9c948564b36aacda.gif

Never liked the Hawks but he's one of the all-time American greats

Elite skill, an electric game, exciting to watch if you actually liked the Hawks 

I hope this comeback bit works for him, the game is better with him in it

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, I think folks are being too hard on him

Byfield is a great example of it sometimes taking time

You can tell he's gaining confidence with every game.  He also had his first NHL fight last night. He does a lot of thingscreslky well.  The points will come.  I dismiss anyone who's willing to label a 19 year old kid a bust after 70 games.  

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I honestly don't think it was Joseph's hit that took him out.  It looks like Kelly's hand or the butt end of his stick hit Larkin's jaw clean.  It's like a boxing knockout where the jaw doesn't get hit hard, but just the right/wrong way.

larkinhit.gif.71d00d38f570e92a9c948564b36aacda.gif

The KO might be the combination of Joseph's action and #27's shoulder. That's an abrupt change of direction for the noggin.

With the league appearing to punish headshots more, and it looking like a crosscheck at ice level perspective, I was expecting Joseph to get 5 and a game there. This overhead view makes it look tamer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

You can tell he's gaining confidence with every game.  He also had his first NHL fight last night. He does a lot of thingscreslky well.  The points will come.  I dismiss anyone who's willing to label a 19 year old kid a bust after 70 games.  

Considering this is not a Habs’ fan board then it’s not surprising there will be some here who hate the Habs and are happy Slafbustki stinks. 

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, I think folks are being too hard on him

Byfield is a great example of it sometimes taking time

Why should Canuck fans cheer for anything but Habs’ picks to bustaroo? It brings Alf great joy seeing any Habs’ player sucking pucks. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why should Canuck fans cheer for anything but Habs’ picks to bustaroo? It brings Alf great joy seeing any Habs’ player sucking pucks. 

Because some Canucks fans are also simply fans of the game, who have no issue respecting game when players and teams have it, and who genuinely enjoyed tracking hockey around the league. Being a Canucks fan doesn't mean an over the top Canucks bias always has to be applied. 

Hence the around the NHL thread existing within the general hockey discussion forum. I'm not saying you have to cheer for Slafkovsky but routinely referring to a 19-year-old former 1OA pick as a bust is a bit of a head scratcher, particularly when I know you're an intelligent hockey fan who's been watching for a very long time. Lot of highly drafted players take time to gradually figure it out, we're seeing that from players like Byfield, Kotkaniemi, and Lafrenière this season to mention a few. 

We have our own highly drafted player in Podkolzin who's still trying to figure things out, sometimes it simply takes some players time to figure things out. Lekkerimaki is looking good this season but he's also a 15OA pick, there's a good chance he'll take time to develop into a legit NHL top six player. We just drafted Willander 11OA and he's a fantastic prospect, but odds are it'll still take him time to develop and find his way in the NHL before he's a legit top four guy. 

Sometimes you've just gotta give young players the time and grace to develop, the NHL is called the world's best league for a reason. 

• Like 2

Wonder what kind of cap concessions the Panthers are going to have to make if they want to retain Reinhart, with four points today he's up to what.. 37 points in 27 games? Pending UFA. Lundell will be a pending RFA, both Montour and Forsling are pending UFA's. Bennett and Verhaeghe up after next season. Some tough decisions coming. 

They could buy out goalie Bob in 2025 but that'd only save them 3.3M in cap. Cap increases will help, but still. Tough going.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Some of us are hockey fans in general and are happy to see any player on any team doing well.  Especially the ones treated unfairly by the media.

Youre the only on here picking on a 19 year old kid who's done nothing wrong.