[GDT] Around the NHL [December 2023]

Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Some of us are hockey fans in general and are happy to see any player on any team doing well.  Especially the ones treated unfairly by the media.

Youre the only on here picking on a 19 year old kid who's done nothing wrong.

D4CEDBB9-5EDF-4ACD-85AD-67E3237E9CDC.gif.54d3f182b7c992a5572fcb69398a369a.gif

Alf is 100% certain Bustkofski isn’t reading our posts. And any Haberdoodle fans can go sing the praises of their bustaroo bonsai on their own board. 
#embracethehate;itfeelsgood

Edited by Alflives
  • ThereItIs 1

better watch out for the oilers.. they already gained 6 points on the canucks since the coaching change.. + the 3 games in hand let say they win 2 of the 3.. that's 10 points gained in 3 weeks... while i think we are safe at least a wc.. not sure getting vegas dallas colorado in the 1st round is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

better watch out for the oilers.. they already gained 6 points on the canucks since the coaching change.. + the 3 games in hand let say they win 2 of the 3.. that's 10 points gained in 3 weeks... while i think we are safe at least a wc.. not sure getting vegas dallas colorado in the 1st round is a good thing.

And if they lose a few they’ll undo almost all of their gains.

We saw how hard it was to make up points under Boudreau even when we went on a tear.

They’ll cool off soon I’m sure. They’re overachieving right now.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Oilers schedule will get harder after Christmas. They have played 0 back to back games and even had like a week off recently.  I think they are a good team but the schedule is skewing their record a bit here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Wonder what kind of cap concessions the Panthers are going to have to make if they want to retain Reinhart, with four points today he's up to what.. 37 points in 27 games? Pending UFA. Lundell will be a pending RFA, both Montour and Forsling are pending UFA's. Bennett and Verhaeghe up after next season. Some tough decisions coming. 

They could buy out goalie Bob in 2025 but that'd only save them 3.3M in cap. Cap increases will help, but still. Tough going.

Windows to win really are short

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We saw how hard it was to make up points under Boudreau even when we went on a tear.

Only if you view them as having to catch a divisional spot imo, which they don't 

The Oil squeaking into the playoffs with a wildcard spot would have to be considered a success this season given the hole they dug for themselves, and they're closing in on one 

They likely won't catch us but they've put themselves into a position to catch one of Arizona or Nashville 

In the end it doesn't really matter outside of home ice advantage (which doesn't always result in the home team winning the series), if the Oil catch a wildcard spot they're going to have to duke it out with a top conference team

Thing is, so long as we've got a divisional spot we're guaranteed to go head to head with one of Vegas or LA 

Isn't easy for us or the Oil any way you spin it, but the Oil are a team that has pressure to accomplish something before the looming McDavid and Draisaitl extensions become an actual cap factor 

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

In the end it doesn't really matter outside of home ice advantage (which doesn't always result in the home team winning the series), if the Oil catch a wildcard spot they're going to have to duke it out with a top conference team

Thing is, so long as we've got a divisional spot we're guaranteed to go head to head with one of Vegas or LA 

Isn't easy for us or the Oil any way you spin it, but the Oil are a team that has pressure to accomplish something before the looming McDavid and Draisaitl extensions become an actual cap factor 

I think the Oil gets to a divisional spot.  To me it's a question of who do they bump out

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the Oil gets to a divisional spot.  To me it's a question of who do they bump out

If one of the three divisional teams were to slide I'd guess it'd be us based on our recent inconsistent stretch but it's hard to say, all it'd take is a big injury or two to any of us, Vegas, or LA for things to suddenly look very different.

Lot of season left, Edmonton would need to stay hot and have one of the teams in front get injured, stumble, or some combination of both to grab a spot though imo. 

It's hard to gain ground when the points gap is as big as it is, but they've done well to get themselves back into the wildcard mix. 

Edited by Coconuts

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope. Soilers are in a coaching bump. They will soon enough return to the smelly puck suckers they truly are.We are getting 105 points. The empties have spoken. Kneel and bow 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If one of the three divisional teams were to slide I'd guess it'd be us based on our recent inconsistent stretch but it's hard to say, all it'd take is a big injury or two to any of us, Vegas, or LA for things to suddenly look very different.

Lot of season left, Edmonton would need to stay hot and have one of the teams in front get injured, stumble, or some combination of both to grab a spot though imo. 

It's hard to gain ground when the points gap is as big as it is, but they've done well to get themselves back into the wildcard mix. 

Well, they're only 11 points behind Van and 3 games in hand.  As you say, there's a lot of hockey left.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, they're only 11 points behind Van and 3 games in hand.  As you say, there's a lot of hockey left.

Games in hand are a factor but only if they win them, we'll see if they do, they've been winning a lot of late

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, 12 points behind with 3 games in hand.

Yes, they won 7 in a row, but 

I don't believe their defense and goaltending will  sustain this race for much longer. In a week they will have 3 games in 4 nights in NY area, we'll see

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I don't believe their defense and goaltending will  sustain this race for much longer. In a week they will have 3 games in 4 nights in NY area, we'll see

I think there's no keeping McD down now.  

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

it was hard to make up points because all the teams ahead of them were winning.. problem is none of the teams are winning right now.. most of them are in the .500 mode.. we saw them last year when they were able to go on this 15+ game unbeaten streak or something.. mcdavid and drai seems to be back and they are capable of carrying their team.

5 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

February, March, and April will be a brutal schedule for Edmonton. 

They need to catch us by the end of January to have a chance. They will be playing lots of 3 games in 4 nights after that. 

1. Vegas (1st in West, plays 2nd wildcard team) 

2. LA 

3. Vancouver

4. Edmonton (1st wildcard team, will play Colorado) 

That's how I see it playing out. La vs Vancouver in 1st round. Lots of 2-1 games, we probably lose in 5 or 6. Great growth year for us. 

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it was hard to make up points because all the teams ahead of them were winning.. problem is none of the teams are winning right now.. most of them are in the .500 mode.. we saw them last year when they were able to go on this 15+ game unbeaten streak or something.. mcdavid and drai seems to be back and they are capable of carrying their team.

We did the same thing.

Made up points while other teams were playing .500. Eventually those teams start racking up points again.

My point is it’s very difficult to make up ground in this league.

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Oilers schedule will get harder after Christmas. They have played 0 back to back games and even had like a week off recently.  I think they are a good team but the schedule is skewing their record a bit here. 

they have the 4th easiest schedule remaining in the league while the canucks are 17th so it's only going to get tougher for the canucks to keep the gap

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

they have the 4th easiest schedule remaining in the league while the canucks are 17th so it's only going to get tougher for the canucks to keep the gap

Where are you getting this from? Just curious. They have 10 back to backs coming, Canucks have 5.