[GDT] Around the NHL [December 2023]

Coconuts

3 hours ago, Darius said:

Where are you getting this from? Just curious. They have 10 back to backs coming, Canucks have 5. 

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nhl/strength-of-schedule.php

based on teams avg ranked they've played and avg rank on the remaining games. kinda like how NFL does it for their tiebreakers.

most of their back to back have like minimal travel like maybe 1hr travel time.. honestly it's not really that big of a deal.. every team will go thru all these back to backs.. and 6 of those back to back the 2nd game is against a team that's not in the playoff currently

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

http://powerrankingsguru.com/nhl/strength-of-schedule.php

based on teams avg ranked they've played and avg rank on the remaining games. kinda like how NFL does it for their tiebreakers.

most of their back to back have like minimal travel like maybe 1hr travel time.. honestly it's not really that big of a deal.. every team will go thru all these back to backs.. and 6 of those back to back the 2nd game is against a team that's not in the playoff currently

Thanks for the link, I didnt know that they dynamically ranked schedules like this.  Looks to me like they are ranking by quality of upcoming competition, and they come up with those ranks dynamically.   Thats fine, and could provide some insight, but if Im interpreting this correctly the actual schedule/travel are not really considered.

For example suppose Vancouver plays 4 top 10 teams on an eastern road swing in 6 nights while Edmonton plays 4 top 10 teams at home in 8 nights-  Vancouver's schedule could be deemed easier if the 4 teams rank lower on the rankings.    This is not realistic IMHO.

I think that Edmonton's recent record has been helped by their cushy schedule.  They have played less games than practically anyone, no back to back games, and even had a week off recently.  Nice time to recover, practice and stay rested. 

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How the hell did Cousins' 5 minute major get rescinded for that hit on Gudbranson?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/blue-jackets-gudbranson-to-have-hearing-for-altercation-with-panthers-cousins/

Maybe if Gudbranson turtled the same way Cousins did, he'd have gotten the favourable call

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Maybe if Gudbranson turtled the same way Cousins did, he'd have gotten the favourable call

I spend a lot of time defending officials, but it's baffling to me how the call on Cousins was rescinded. Even in slo-mo, it's a clear hit from behind and right into the boards. Very dangerous.

I thought the league was supposed to trying to eliminate these types of plays, but somehow they deem this only worth 2 minutes? No wonder EG felt he had to take matters into his own hands.

There was a similar hit by Evander Kane on Jonas Brodin that went uncalled as well, even though there was a zebra about 15 feet away, looking right at it.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Darius said:

Thanks for the link, I didnt know that they dynamically ranked schedules like this.  Looks to me like they are ranking by quality of upcoming competition, and they come up with those ranks dynamically.   Thats fine, and could provide some insight, but if Im interpreting this correctly the actual schedule/travel are not really considered.

For example suppose Vancouver plays 4 top 10 teams on an eastern road swing in 6 nights while Edmonton plays 4 top 10 teams at home in 8 nights-  Vancouver's schedule could be deemed easier if the 4 teams rank lower on the rankings.    This is not realistic IMHO.

I think that Edmonton's recent record has been helped by their cushy schedule.  They have played less games than practically anyone, no back to back games, and even had a week off recently.  Nice time to recover, practice and stay rested. 

You are correct, so Edmonton's real life schedule with travel and back to backs factored in, will be quite a bit harder. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I spend a lot of time defending officials, but it's baffling to me how the call on Cousins was rescinded. Even in slo-mo, it's a clear hit from behind and right into the boards. Very dangerous.

I thought the league was supposed to trying to eliminate these types of plays, but somehow they deem this only worth 2 minutes? No wonder EG felt he had to take matters into his own hands.

There was a similar hit by Evander Kane on Jonas Brodin that went uncalled as well, even though there was a zebra about 15 feet away, looking right at it.

AND Guddy gets suspended for 1 game on top of it.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

AND Guddy gets suspended for 1 game on top of it.

AND it could have been avoided with competent officials. They keep the major a major. Cousins gets a game and guddy does nothing. But instead they put him back in the game when they know guddy is going to do something. Cousins could have been hurt. Guddy could have been hurt and the league just doesn't give a shit. 

They have totally lost the plot