[GDT] Around the NHL [December 2023]

Coconuts

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Devils got embarrassed by the Sharks. Devis are way too soft. Selfish players too. They suck pucks. Love seeing them loose. 

Hey, we also lost to San Jose.  And New Jersey has suffered with literally all of their stars missing games at some point - and we're only a quarter of the way through.

Imagine if Hughes, Miller and Petey all missed games this season.  It wouldn't be pretty.

15 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Hey, we also lost to San Jose.  And New Jersey has suffered with literally all of their stars missing games at some point - and we're only a quarter of the way through.

Imagine if Hughes, Miller and Petey all missed games this season.  It wouldn't be pretty.

Alf hates all teams except us. So he gets great joy when any team loses. But that joy is magnified when it’s some hyped up club (full of softies) like the Devils, Sens, and Sabres. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf hates all teams except us. So he gets great joy when any team loses. But that joy is magnified when it’s some hyped up club (full of softies) like the Devils, Sens, and Sabres. 

I like it when healthy teams lose.  Like the Oilers.  That's just pure choking.  That joy is diminished when a team's players are injured.  That's just rooting for people to get hurt.  I have no respect for fans like that.

The Devils are not a healthy team.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

I like it when healthy teams lose.  Like the Oilers.  That's just pure choking.  That joy is diminished when a team's players are injured.  That's just rooting for people to get hurt.  I have no respect for fans like that.

The Devils are not a healthy team.

No one wants to see players get injured. But watching teams lose (other than us, of course) is fun! I don’t care why or how they lost; it’s that they lose. Then their fans suffer. All that losing and suffering brings Alf joy. 
#embracethehate

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I've thought about this before, I was just kinda following up on what Vintage used to do as he'd make one every week back on CDC and format the title this way. I've kinda left the title the way it was and used the graphic they always used as a bit of a tip of the hat. 

I'll think on it, I already switched the thread from a weekly format to a monthly format so I don't see why things couldn't be altered further if that's what folks want. 

If @Vintage Canuck ever wants his thread back he's more than welcome to take over, haha. But I don't think we'll see them around more until CDC finally goes down, although I suspect we'll never see them around to the extent we did on CDC. 

I was just on CDC just to make sure it was still there.  I decided to look for one of Vintage's old threads because I was absolutely convinced they just had the title 'Around the NHL'.  And I was totally wrong.  I rescind my silly suggestion and offer an apology for causing a fuss.   Tradition is tradition.

Of course this could all be just be proof of the Mandela Effect and multiple universes but that's fuel for another thread not this one.

Edited by Satchmo
sp

48 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Barrie going back to Toronto?

Seems like the wrong kind of fit imo, if their goal is to decrease their goals against he's likely not the guy for the job. Preds would have to retain in any case. Usually I'd poke fun at the Leafs for refusing to address their weakness, but they did add ROR and Schenn last season so you never know.. 

18 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I was just on CDC just to lake sure it was still there.  I decided to look for one of Vintage's old threads because I was absolutely convinced they just had the title 'Around the NHL'.  And I was totally wrong.  I rescind my silly suggestion and offer an apology for causing a fuss.   Tradition is tradition.

Of course this could all be just be proof of the Mandela Effect and multiple universes but that's fuel for another thread not this one.

No need to apologize, really! 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seems like the wrong kind of fit imo, if their goal is to decrease their goals against he's likely not the guy for the job. Preds would have to retain in any case. Usually I'd poke fun at the Leafs for refusing to address their weakness, but they did add ROR and Schenn last season so you never know.. 

image.thumb.png.b56fe8e5a4e05cd28b292df14118e8d1.png

Keefe got the most out of Barrie but it still wasn't enough for them to keep him.  And that was when Barrie was younger and better than he is now.  From Barrie to Klingberg and now back to Barrie?  Steve Dangle is going to lose his voice again.

• ThereItIs 1

59 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Barrie going back to Toronto?

I've never understood why a player as talented as Barrie refused to learn how to play defense. Most of his career he's had the worst +/- of regulars in his defense corps despite usually having the highest offensive zone start %. That's hard to do. It's also pretty telling that he lead the league in points by a defenseman one year and didn't receive a single Norris vote. If he just became average defensively he probably could have made a lot more money.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I've never understood why a player as talented as Barrie refused to learn how to play defense. Most of his career he's had the worst +/- of regulars in his defense corps despite usually having the highest offensive zone start %. That's hard to do. It's also pretty telling that he lead the league in points by a defenseman one year and didn't receive a single Norris vote. If he just became average defensively he probably could have made a lot more money.

Fully disagree.  It is a great ordeal for young offensive D-men trying to make the transition to a 2-way game.  It takes many years and you don't look super great doing it.  And you don't get paid.  Justin Schultz and Mike Green are two examples of guys who successfully made that transition.  They got shuffled to a bunch of teams in the process.  And they made less money than Tyson Barrie.

Think of the money Klingberg declined.  This was before his body completely broke down, but his defence was already nonexistent.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I mean if they want to trade 1:1 for Garland I'd do it, to clear future cap space. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not really, Friedman isn't really a great option. If we can get creative to move Garland without paying a lot in assets I'm all for it. 

Sure, but we also have Juulsen and Irwin as depth RD options. With a RD contingent of Hronek, Myers, and now Zadorov I'm not sure where Barrie would fit unless the idea is to have him displace one of Cole and Soucy. 

I'd like to open up Garland's cap space too but I'm not sure diminishing our forward depth to add another large D cap hit we don't need is the way to go about it. If we make another trade involving sizeable cap hits I think it'll involve swapping forwards with someone imo. 

A three-way-deal, where we take Barrie and flip him while Nashville gets Garland, is the only Barrie deal that makes sense for us imo. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, but we also have Juulsen and Irwin as depth RD options. With a RD contingent of Hronek, Myers, and now Zadorov I'm not sure where Barrie would fit unless the idea is to have him displace one of Cole and Soucy. 

I'd like to open up Garland's cap space too but I'm not sure diminishing our forward depth to add another large D cap hit we don't need is the way to go about it. If we make another trade involving sizeable cap hits I think it'll involve swapping forwards with someone imo. 

if it were an option tho, its worth figuring it out. Its so hard to move term. 

H-H

Cole-Barrie

Z-Myers

until Soucy is back. At that point we can make a decision on moving Cole or retain 1/2 on Barrie and regain some assets potentially. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

if it were an option tho, its worth figuring it out. Its so hard to move term. 

H-H

Cole-Barrie

Z-Myers

until Soucy is back. At that point we can make a decision on moving Cole or retain 1/2 on Barrie and regain some assets potentially. 

Could approach it as an interim move, certainly, the risk is getting stuck with him