[GDT] Around the NHL [December 2023]

Coconuts

23 minutes ago, Kragar said:

What ever happened to calling 3rd man in? Seems to remember it all the time back in the 80s, but never seems to get called now.

Brave ol Marshmallow there.

It's called the instigator now. I've seen it several times this season 

8 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

It's called the instigator now. I've seen it several times this season 

No, they're different.

Instigator is first person in, starting the fight when the other is unprepared and/or unwilling (more or less). Basically, if the gloves aren't dropped at the same time or punches start at the same time, someone will get the instigator

3rd man in is when two people are already fighting, and someone else joins in, hitting, holding or tackling someone already engaged in the fight.  Big safety concern, aside from just being unfair.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Leaf-lovin refs in Columbus tnite.

Nice goal by Tavares (with Johnny Hobbit watching nicely), but Leafs shoulda been on the PK instead of 4-on-4 due to a lame embellishment call.

You are always watching the wrong games my friend

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm torn between blown away by the skill, and thinking that's an unfair advantage.

The Michigan/lacrosse is a high skill, high risk move compared to the wraparound.  It takes a bit more time to set up and there is no rebound, but the conversion rate is higher in today's NHL.

It is a also move that can be stopped.  Goalies have largely eliminated the wraparound as a high-danger move, and now through scouting they have developed techniques to stop the lacrosse goal (ie. pinching the near post).  This one's on Binnington, who clearly wasn't paying attention at all behind him and paid the price.

But again, great credit to Bedard for noticing Binny's lack of attention on that play.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm torn between blown away by the skill, and thinking that's an unfair advantage.

Ya. I was originally against these types of goals, but now? Screw it. It's a hockey play and skilled, and if it puts my team up a goal, go for it. Conversely, if you don't like it, defend it, and if you want to take a number as a player and blow a guy up in the corner later or next game? Do it. Goals a goal. Up to the other team to defend it, not cry about how it shows them up. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Ya. I was originally against these types of goals, but now? Screw it. It's a hockey play and skilled, and if it puts my team up a goal, go for it. Conversely, if you don't like it, defend it, and if you want to take a number as a player and blow a guy up in the corner later or next game? Do it. Goals a goal. Up to the other team to defend it, not cry about how it shows them up. 

Someone is going to get blown up admiring the puck on their stick while attempting this. I just hope it's not Hogs.