[GDT] Around the NHL [December 2023]

Coconuts

On 12/6/2023 at 3:44 AM, Alflives said:

CBJ is a joke. LA sucks pucks. They rely on old guys. Not sustainable. Soon to fall off a cliff. Loser team in a loser city with loser fans. Only losers cheer for them to do well. 
#embracethehate

Except people here have been saying this about the Kings the last 2 seasons already. There's no logical argument to suggest that they will just drop off. As for relying on old guys, once Kopitar retires they are still pretty good in D and Byfield (if he ends up being a center) looks like he's taken the next step.

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Leafs have lost Joseph Woll.  Uh oh

The average Leafs fan:

dangle.gif.18f77d48ef790bef5af2ac83fab98e39.gif

....and DeSmith pitches a shutout last night....

Casey for Nylander straight up...and the Leafs retain 90%....

Make it happen PA! :classic_cool:

BTW: Apparently some folks (and by that I mean this sportswriter, whom I've never heard of) think that Austin Watson deserves a suspension for this.....:classic_rolleyes:

Video in the link.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/austin-watson-deserves-an-nhl-suspension-for-nailing-jeremy-lauzon-with-a-reckless-pointless-slap-shot/ar-AA1lcEu0?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4249b7c5b8814029a58cc72765717144&ei=61

Firstly, I don't see how you can prove Watson was trying to hit Lauzon and secondly I'm unaware of any rules against it. Back in the day, we used to "accidentally" fire pucks at the ref if we thought he made a shite call....

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

BTW: Apparently some folks (and by that I mean this sportswriter, whom I've never heard of) think that Austin Watson deserves a suspension for this.....:classic_rolleyes:

Video in the link.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nba/austin-watson-deserves-an-nhl-suspension-for-nailing-jeremy-lauzon-with-a-reckless-pointless-slap-shot/ar-AA1lcEu0?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4249b7c5b8814029a58cc72765717144&ei=61

Firstly, I don't see how you can prove Watson was trying to hit Lauzon and secondly I'm unaware of any rules against it. Back in the day, we used to "accidentally" fire pucks at the ref if we thought he made a shite call....

Here's an embedded link:

It's a bitch ass move by a bitch ass player.  He has always been a dirty scumbag on the ice and apparently is also a dirty scumbag off the ice.

No real way to discipline this move other than for teams to just fight this guy.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Here's an embedded link:

It's a bitch ass move by a bitch ass player.  He has always been a dirty scumbag on the ice and apparently is also a dirty scumbag off the ice.

No real way to discipline this move other than for teams to just fight this guy.

I have a hard time believing Watson is that skilled.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Here's an embedded link:

Yep. Teams police this kind of stuff all the time. No reason for DoPS to get involved.

And again, the shot was directed in the general direction the Nashville net. How do you prove he was trying to hit Lauzon. (I agree that he probably was, but I don't know how you suspend someone without proof)

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I have a hard time believing Watson is that skilled.

Tampa fans have a hard time understanding why they signed him too.

20 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. Teams police this kind of stuff all the time. No reason for DoPS to get involved.

And again, the shot was directed in the general direction the Nashville net. How do you prove he was trying to hit Lauzon. (I agree that he probably was, but I don't know how you suspend someone without proof)

Reminds me of the Alfredsson shot on Niedermayer in the Cup Final.  He was probably super pissed about Pronger assassinating Dean McAmmond with a flying elbow.  And it was also the Cup Final.  The Austin Watson shot came out of nowhere.

pronger.gif.6f373e3fad136a3bd35579be00a76b65.gif alfie.gif.f89478bebe45c3be10fee033fcb2ed98.gif

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Except people here have been saying this about the Kings the last 2 seasons already. There's no logical argument to suggest that they will just drop off. As for relying on old guys, once Kopitar retires they are still pretty good in D and Byfield (if he ends up being a center) looks like he's taken the next step.

Its just easier to tune him out sometimes tbh, he's never letting that shtick go

Kings have been very, very good and it's not as if they came out of nowhere after thr past couple seasons

Edited by Coconuts

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Its just easier to tune him out sometimes tbh, he's never letting that shtick go

Kings have been very, very good and it's not as if they came out of nowhere after thr past couple seasons

It will be a great measuring stick for us. Both teams are at the top of the league limiting odd man rushes. We have a goalie edge, they are better on d. Offence about equal.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It is interesting to see how a deal is win win. Doesn't happen that often, or at least right away.

Hard to say how he'll age but the Isles ultimately got their top line center for a middling 1st, a B prospect, and a cap dump 

I wouldn't have paid him what he got but that doesn't mean what they gave up for him wasn't good value 

Sometimes things just work out, I still like Bo and Hronek has been better than many of us probably thought he'd be thus far (even the biggest homers probably didn't see him having 25 points in 27 games)

The real question marks are what Detroit ends up getting out of it and how Hronek's value matches his next contract, because he's on pace to be quite pricy 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It will be a great measuring stick for us. Both teams are at the top of the league limiting odd man rushes. We have a goalie edge, they are better on d. Offence about equal.

Agreed, and if they want to advance they'll likely have to go through one of them or Vegas

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hard to say how he'll age but the Isles ultimately got their top line center for a middling 1st, a B prospect, and a cap dump 

I wouldn't have paid him that but that doesn't mean what they gave up for him wasn't good value 

Sometimes just work out, I still like Bo and Hronek has been better than many of us probably thought he'd be thus far (even the biggest homers probably didn't see him having 25 points in 27 games)

The real question marks are what Detroit ends up getting out of it and how Hronek's value matches his next contract, because he's on pace to be quite pricy 

Yep the full analysis isn't in yet.

As far as the det pick tho even if S-P turns into a stud 5 years from now it doesn't match our current window. He doesn't need to be a bust for this to be a great trade for us.

In fact this could be a win-win-win for all teams involved.

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, and if they want to advance they'll likely have to go through one of them or Vegas

Our guys are going to have match their discipline. Or Demko does Demko things. Maybe both.

If we're sloppy at all I think they'll handle us easily.

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep the full analysis isn't in yet.

As far as the det pick tho even if S-P turns into a stud 5 years from now it doesn't match our current window. He doesn't need to be a bust for this to be a great trade for us.

In fact this could be a win-win-win for all teams involved.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was, kinda hope it is 

I see nothing to be bitter about, Bo was a good soldier here and the return has worked out for all teams thus far

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Our guys are going to have match their discipline. Or Demko does Demko things. Maybe both.

If we're sloppy at all I think they'll handle us easily.

Yeah, this could be one the better teams LA's ever had and Vegas still looks dangerous 

Pretty much identical to their championship roster and they've got loads of playoff experience at this point 

Won't be easy, but it rarely is

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

For both teams, he's been very good for the Isles

Horvat was on pace for 60 points up until a week ago. He’s a streaky scorer who will end up with 65-70 points. His faceoff % is below 50% for the first time in his career. He is the same as Petey this year.  His shooting % is now around 12.5%. So he’s no 50 goal scorer. Even with those 2 goals last night, he’s on pace for around 30 goals. He’ll probably end up with 25.

He doesn’t kill alot of penalties either. Definitely not a two way forward. 

Definitely not worth anything near $8.5 million. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat was on pace for 60 points up until a week ago. He’s a streaky scorer who will end up with 65-70 points. His faceoff % is below 50% for the first time in his career. He is the same as Petey this year.  His shooting % is now around 12.5%. So he’s no 50 goal scorer. Even with those 2 goals last night, he’s on pace for around 30 goals. He’ll probably end up with 25.

Definitely not worth anything near $8.5 million. 

Still a 1C, even if a lower end one, they got at a good price, even if he is overpaid by a bit 

If you're gonna overpay players it may as well be your top players, even Lou said it was too much for too long

But so long as he's productive it'll probably work for NYI

Last year was more an anomaly, he's always been more a 25-30 goal guy

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt after having him on ignore the last year and a half at CDC, but I only lasted a couple weeks here before I put him back on ignore. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

For both teams, he's been very good for the Isles

he has but the people here will continue to say islander took a L.. islander got what they wanted someone that can produce.. which he is with barzal at almost a ppg. someone that can faceoff etc etc.. sure his contract is a tad high.. but their older guys are coming off in a year or 2 with the cap going up and they don't really have any big names they need to sign imminently.. they essentially gave away a mid/late 1st a cap dump that turned into a 5th and raty.. not looking at what that 1st turned into ie hronek.. that's a different trade that's completely irrelevant to the islanders nor would they have traded the 1st for hronek themselves regardless.. it's a very good trade for them.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he has but the people here will continue to say islander took a L.. islander got what they wanted someone that can produce.. which he is with barzal at almost a ppg. someone that can faceoff etc etc.. sure his contract is a tad high.. but their older guys are coming off in a year or 2 with the cap going up and they don't really have any big names they need to sign imminently.. they essentially gave away a mid/late 1st a cap dump that turned into a 5th and raty.. not looking at what that 1st turned into ie hronek.. that's a different trade that's completely irrelevant to the islanders nor would they have traded the 1st for hronek themselves regardless.. it's a very good trade for them.

Yeah, I view the NYI trade and the Detroit trades are two completely separate deals. Tethered together? Sure, but different deals. Isles needed a center, went out and got one, Yzerman deciding he was willing to cut Hronek loose is something else entirely. The pick looked more appealing at the time because it was a potential lottery pick if the Isles continued to slide, but they didn't. 

Most of their big money deals up front will be off the books sooner than later: Palmieri, Nelson, Pague, and Lee will all be up within the two seasons and a bit. All of them are in their early 30's now, there's a good chance NYI moves on from most of them although maybe one or two come back for less. But yeah, cap flex up front sooner than later if they want to reset. 

They'll need to extend Dobson and Romanov sooner than later but they'll benefit from cap increases the same way every other team does. Plus, Palmieri and Nelson expire just as they become pending RFA's. 

Isles will have to be a little careful about the term they give out, but having Horvat a bit overpaid doesn't hurt them too much when him, Barzal, Cizikas, and Engvall (still a weird one) are the only guys up front on longer term deals. 

Folks talk about Bo being overpaid, and he is by a bit, but if he'd gone to UFA someone else would have probably at least given him 8M. Isles wanted a sure thing as opposed to waiting and getting nothing.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2