Time for a Co-Head Coach situation

Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

We all knew Rick wanted bigger, rougher and tougher play. 

With our team , mostly finess as of late, he works with what he is given.

Would enjoy Garland taller and heavier. But he is doing his job.

PDG is not what we expected.

DJ is doing his thing,yet ,not the bruiser we thought.

Surprised at lafferty. His play sticks out at times. Needs room to fly.

BB has come back.

Miller is a soldier. 

EP40 needs motivation to help his overall game.

Kuz needs more ice time with a line that he will thrive. He's being held back.

Our 2 top d are facing burnout.  Hopefully Big Z can alleviate some pressure. 

When we get healthy, l see a team that is a threat to 31 others. 

22 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

So the Canucks had a goalie Captain are they now ready to have CO-head Coaches.

Disagree with me all you want if you wish but IMO Tocchet is inexperienced and has yet to prove anything as a coach. To me he is another TG or WD except he has way better players to coach.

But I'm fine with keeping him because there might be a solution. Co-head Coaches. The second coach has to have experience with winning and most importantly have had playoff success and would need to want or have to coach in a Co-Head Coach situation. Mike Babcook. Who knows more about coaching hockey and winning in the NHL then Bobcock. He is old school and rubs players the wrong way ok I get it. But he won't be the Head coach he would be Co-Head coach and will have to coach players side by side with Tocchet AKA no 1 0n 1 meetings. Why Tocchet does it. Well I could see a respect thing. Tocchet played old school and was coached old school. Plus it is Mike Babcock. No one can deny Mike Bobcock has coached some very talented players. But I can't over look the fact and people will comment on it he hasn't had recent success. I agree he hasn't but those teams AKA Tor also had bad defensive and goaltender personnel. 

I will, thank you!

RT is experienced. He had more NHL coaching experience than WD and TG put together. In fact, I believe both WD and TG actually having none before coaching the Canucks. And no. He's not another TG or WD. 

TG and WD were centres in their playing careers. Perhaps they have similar coach thinking with regard to "playing the right way" and leaning towards defensive styles. But I think Tochs is different in that he was a fighter/power forward in his playing career, (A type of winger that the Canucks could use!) and therefore looks at the game slightly different.

His many experiences as assistants, NHL head coaching, minor league coaching, and as an NHL TV analyst; I believe gives him a firmer grasp of what success in the NHL entails. 

• Cheers 2

Mike Babcock will never coach again in the NHL, and for overwhelmingly good reasons. He is an absolute idiot that has publicly proven he is morally and emotionally incapable of being in any type of leadership position, over , and over , and over.  How his name comes up in any conversation that doesn't include narrasism , or the generational talent he displays in alienating himself from anyone that's worked for him is beyond me. His last NHL employer had to publicly issue an apology for " making the mistake of hiring him" for F sakes. He is probably one of the most hated , and incapable coaches in NHL history, so thinking you should lay off on eating paint chips,  or whatever else it was that made you suggest him. 

Edited by cuporbust

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Mike Babcock will never coach again in the NHL, and for overwhelmingly good reasons. He is an absolute idiot that has publicly proven he is morally and emotionally incapable of being in any type of leadership position, over , and over , and over.  How his name comes up in any conversation that doesn't include narrasism , or the generational talent he displays in alienating himself from anyone that's worked for him is beyond me. His last NHL employer had to publicly issue an apology " making a mistake hiring him" for F sakes. 

Yes, Babs is weird, especially with that whole “let’s share photos” thing with almost complete strangers. But the player (young guy) who went to th Ed media because he felt uncomfortable with Babs is exactly why the Jackets are losing so much. There’s no trust between players there. IMHAO their room is quiet. Yes, fire Babs. But they should get rid of that young pkayer who went to the press too. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, Babs is weird, especially with that whole “let’s share photos” thing with almost complete strangers. But the player (young guy) who went to th Ed media because he felt uncomfortable with Babs is exactly why the Jackets are losing so much. There’s no trust between players there. IMHAO their room is quiet. Yes, fire Babs. But they should get rid of that young pkayer who went to the press too. 

"Weird" isn't the way I'd describe him. Cee U Next Tuesday maybe .  Weird is unconventional.  Mike Babcock isn't unconventional,  he's totally incapable.  It's like,  what point is there in having product knowledge if a publicly convicted rapist tries to get a sales job? He can know everything there is to know about widgets , but absolutely nobody is Guna buy one from an active sex offender. That's almost how much people in the NHL hate this guy. 

Edited by cuporbust

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Weird isn't the word I'd pick

The point is that the young player on CBJ who went to the press because he was ‘uncomfortable’ with Babs’ weird photo sharing is why that club is F’d. That player should have been sent packing, regardless of who he was. There’s no trust in that room. Anything said could be passed on to the media. They pretty much have a spy (rat) in their room. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The point is that the young player on CBJ who went to the press because he was ‘uncomfortable’ with Babs’ weird photo sharing is why that club is F’d. That player should have been sent packing, regardless of who he was. There’s no trust in that room. Anything said could be passed on to the media. They pretty much have a spy (rat) in their room. 

He's been a prolific prick for decades. Do some reading . There is a good reason nobody will hire him. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He's been a prolific prick for decades. Do some reading . There is a good reason nobody will hire him. 

Agreed. Babs is a total creep. But the player who went to the press undermined the sanctity of the club’s room. No trust there now. That young pkayer, who whined to the press, should have been moved out. Now there’s no trust in the room. A guy says something and that young guy will leak it to the press. No trust. No team. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed. Babs is a total creep. But the player who went to the press undermined the sanctity of the club’s room. No trust there now. That young pkayer, who whined to the press, should have been moved out. Now there’s no trust in the room. A guy says something and that young guy will leak it to the press. No trust. No team. 

Ya, so what does players going to the press , breaking unwritten rules tell you? Ya, he is that bad.

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Ya, so it wasn't one " rat player ". 

Screenshot_20231203_231028_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_230912_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_230709_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_230228_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_225852_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_230055_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_225713_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_225544_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_225358_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_230521_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_231407_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cuporbust

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And those weren't even all of them. 

On 12/1/2023 at 8:20 AM, DrJockitch said:

It took 3 coaches for this team to start listening intermittently.

‘Young teams take time to learn consistency.

We are where the Kings were 2 seasons ago really. 

Huh?  Completely disagree.   The Kings are where we could have been, circa 2017-2018 or so IF we moved everyone we could off the team as soon as JB took over.   Heck they even moved their younger guys like Toffoli and Pearson who were lightweight support players in their cup years, and just entering their primes.   

The Kings did exactly what we COULD of done, if everyone wasn't shackled to the club.  Even Hansen was clauses up.   It wasn't at all popular at the time in LA.  They picked Doughty, Kopitar and Quick, and traded the rest away.  Blake is proving, like Sakic, he's just as an awesome GM, as he was a player.  

Instead the Sedins had to toil during their final contract.   IF we traded Hansen, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, right off the hop, they might of also had a chance of winning a cup.  Maybe even signed another deal. 

As of right now, Blake is creating a succession plan for Doughty and Kopitar as well im sure.   Smart guy.   Our core is ahead of their core by 2-3 years though.  Age wise.  What do you think Doughty and Kopitar will be doing in a few years?  And who's replacing them.  

Edited by IBatch

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Huh?  Completely disagree.   The Kings are where we could have been, circa 2017-2018 or so IF we moved everyone we could off the team as soon as JB took over.   Heck they even moved their younger guys like Toffoli and Pearson who were lightweight support players in their cup years, and just entering their primes.   

The Kings did exactly what we COULD of done, if everyone wasn't shackled to the club.  Even Hansen was clauses up.   It wasn't at all popular at the time in LA.  They picked Doughty, Kopitar and Quick, and traded the rest away.  Blake is proving, like Sakic, he's just as an awesome GM, as he was a player.  

Instead the Sedins had to toil during their final contract.   IF we traded Hansen, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, right off the hop, they might of also had a chance of winning a cup.  Maybe even signed another deal. 

As of right now, Blake is creating a succession plan for Doughty and Kopitar as well im sure.   Smart guy.   Our core is ahead of their core by 2-3 years though.  Age wise.  What do you think Doughty and Kopitar will be doing in a few years?  And who's replacing them.  

I meant more of a stage of where they are coming off a retool and starting to learn to win and put in the consistency of effort. 
Not debating the efficiency of their retool vs Benning’s shit show. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I meant more of a stage of where they are coming off a retool and starting to learn to win and put in the consistency of effort. 
Not debating the efficiency of their retool vs Benning’s shit show. 

Got it.   I see this as what a proper re-tool looks like.   They will get a couple modest years to go for it now.   Then likely have some down years again, and regroup around those picks as a result.     Their core is still vet reliant.   HHOFers for sure.    Talbot is also playing out of his mind.    And they did it right for sure.  

Edited by IBatch

So much about Babcock.

To me his big failing was not knowing how to use the various social media.

Probably everything he found on a phone was already in some media form out there.

This is a transition time from privacy being important to "look at me, look at me".

Coaches got to know players by going to the bar, out for dinners, spending time with players.

That has all changed now for various reasons.

Coaches have always been known to be able to ruffle feathers of players most of the time comments were not taken so seriously or literally.

That he ASKED to see a phone is not demanding with an "or else". Is it any different than asking to see a picture of the family that a player might carry in his wallet?

Coach time has been redefined by the CBA, can't mingle as much. 

Many old timer coaches that are the most successful of all time could not tow the line with the new limitations.

Some old timers were brutal but if the public look at AHL coaches they have much more direct command of their players, do what I say or don't have a career.

Babcock knows hockey, he knows how to win games, he just hasn't adjusted to the "new" social sensitivities. From what I got was BitNasty felt a player or two felt scared to show pics that were likely on social media? And of all of the 230 players Babs coached there was what 5 that had an issue?

Didn't a few players say no and nothing happened? What ever happened to "just say no" or "no means no"? The NHLPA would have supported any complaints but once it reached the power of social media Babs was doomed.

Still if he could be a behind the scenes never have direct player contact or power over a player, say a coach mentor at distance, his vast knowledge could be useful still. But the stain of social media will condemn any organization that gets within 10 feet of him now.

So for old coaches, get your grand kids to raid social media to find out information about your players instead of meetings or questions because pretty soon there will be a complaint about questions either taken the wrong way, interpreted wrong or felt to be too personal.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

The Kings did exactly what we COULD of done, if everyone wasn't shackled to the club.  Even Hansen was clauses up

ALL the Gillis clause contract guys waived EXCEPT the two that could have been the biggest asset returns and all for 5 weeks and 4 home games. And they were not asked. The Sedins. 

The best chance for the Sedins to be rewarded to win a cup would have been to trade them as a pair to a cup contender. Retain 50% would have allowed just about every team ability to sing them. What would they be worth as a instant line? Still potent especially in the east they could have had a very good chance to win a cup, then re-sign them to retire in Vancouver. For some teams what was a cup worth. 1rst,2nd and 3rd? AAA prospect or two?

What would Winnipeg given? A young Roslovic? 2020 first? Both?

Actually there was the other option for the Sedin chance, one more year of sucking without trading away everyone. Don't sign Miller or Vrbata. Draft the guy Gillis wanted Larkin and the next year sucking, have a chance at Eichel, McDavid or the other top five, Marner, Hanifin, ? They already had Markstrom and the rest of the 2014 draft apart from Virtanen were selected by the scouts so Demko, McCann, Forsling were all set. IF, IF, IF it was all sitting there in Benning's lap.

ALL Gillis clauses waived, all the others that would not waive were ALL Benning signings.

Benning just didn't have a clue. he couldn't see beyond his own ego.

He punished the Canuck fans.

Edited by TheGuardian