PGT - Vegas at Vancouver - November 30 2023

PhillipBlunt

33 minutes ago, Power-Forward said:

I hope the Canucks don't get to comfortable with where they are in the standings.  It's easy to fall down the standings if you take your foot of the gas every 2nd game.  

We'll be 4-5 in the West next week, the teams around us all have games in hand and have been playing better... maybe watching us drop a few spots will give them some motivation

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't understand why anyone would have any issues with Hogz this year.  He's been great and one of the very few to bring it every night

Agreed. While sometimes prone to misreads, he is definitely improving and has a higher ceiling than most in the bottom six. His tenacity and skill are a tantalizing combination. Watching him play, it is easy to see what RT means when he refers to Hogs as a “buzz saw”. Love his strength out there too.

Hogs will be a menace when he can consistently bring his game. 

1 minute ago, YourHuckleberry said:

Agreed. While sometimes prone to misreads, he is definitely improving and has a higher ceiling than most in the bottom six. His tenacity and skill are a tantalizing combination. Watching him play, it is easy to see what RT means when he refers to Hogs as a “buzz saw”. Love his strength out there too.

Hogs will be a menace when he can consistently bring his game. 

Hogs thinks too slow without the puck. He’s a big liability. IMHAO we are going to trade him. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hogs thinks too slow without the puck. He’s a big liability. IMHAO we are going to trade him. 

That is certainly part of why he’s being sheltered and I also see trading him as a possibility. I think it will come down to whether management thinks he’s got enough between the ears to put it all together and what alternative pieces are on the market. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

It's funny how we went from such a high to such a low... 

We were so fast, playing with pace, top 3 scorers in the league... 

Now it's frustrating and anger lol. 

Like how can they be so good and so bad? 

Maybe it's the few select "fans" that are so good then so bad??? As humorous as it is, don't read to much into the party parade route when they win, and the we need to trade so and so, acquire this and that, fire he and him, etec, etc, when they lose. 

Enjoy the games, have fun and cheer a beer with friends and fam, remember it's just a sport, like the real fans do. 

GO NUCKS!!!!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't know about you, but many of the people who say the support the team most because they believe they are real contenders are first in line to run Myers through the mud for every tiny mistake he makes, same with Juuls, same with Petey 

They have completely unrealistic expectations of the team and players and when their "faith" is shaken, they lash out

That is true... but it's called fandom... When people expect easy wins, pushovers, and they don't materialise, they get frustrated and lashes out.

I said before the Sharks game, that it might not be easy, and never to count your chickens till the eggs are hatched... No game in the NHL is straight forward. We should know that, cause when we sucked, we also pulled a few rabbits out of the hat.

Folks gets frustrated during the games, and say things in the heat of the battle, yet most of them are very level headed during post game discussions.

Myers getting a lot of stick, but that is mainly due to him being paid 6M and likely not playing up to his contract. It was the same with LE and also OEL...

Nothing new in that though. Burrows got slaughtered for his contract, so did Bieksa, Elder, Booth, Hansen, Gudbranson, Nate Schmidt, Beagle etc just to name a few...

Fans all think they know best, or at least have a good idea about what players are worth... As for Juuls, he is not a problem money wise, and is ok as a 7th-8th D man.. might even be ok on the bottom pairing, if he get settled... But I'm not sure he would be a mainstay on the bottom 6 on a contending team. However after watching Hutton play for Vegas, and Chartfield play for Canes, who knows.

Thing is, we all have the joy of hindsight.... 

As for supporting the team, because they are contenders... I've been getting up between midnight and 3am on countless occasions to watch this team, while dragging around the less fun end of the league, so I think, I can safely say, I'm not a fan, because they are real contenders. I'm a fan come thick and thin, and it's also the reason, I stood by Benning for so long, without feeling the need to shit all over him.

In hindsight, seeing how JR/PA has changed the team around in no time, I might have been wrong, but I am still great full for him picking Petey, QH and Demko, while trading for Miller...

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That is true... but it's called fandom... When people expect easy wins, pushovers, and they don't materialise, they get frustrated and lashes out.

I said before the Sharks game, that it might not be easy, and never to count your chickens till the eggs are hatched... No game in the NHL is straight forward. We should know that, cause when we sucked, we also pulled a few rabbits out of the hat.

Folks gets frustrated during the games, and say things in the heat of the battle, yet most of them are very level headed during post game discussions.

Myers getting a lot of stick, but that is mainly due to him being paid 6M and likely not playing up to his contract. It was the same with LE and also OEL...

Nothing new in that though. Burrows got slaughtered for his contract, so did Bieksa, Elder, Booth, Hansen, Gudbranson, Nate Schmidt, Beagle etc just to name a few...

Fans all think they know best, or at least have a good idea about what players are worth... As for Juuls, he is not a problem money wise, and is ok as a 7th-8th D man.. might even be ok on the bottom pairing, if he get settled... But I'm not sure he would be a mainstay on the bottom 6 on a contending team. However after watching Hutton play for Vegas, and Chartfield play for Canes, who knows.

Thing is, we all have the joy of hindsight.... 

As for supporting the team, because they are contenders... I've been getting up between midnight and 3am on countless occasions to watch this team, while dragging around the less fun end of the league, so I think, I can safely say, I'm not a fan, because they are real contenders. I'm a fan come thick and thin, and it's also the reason, I stood by Benning for so long, without feeling the need to shit all over him.

In hindsight, seeing how JR/PA has changed the team around in no time, I might have been wrong, but I am still great full for him picking Petey, QH and Demko, while trading for Miller...

At the end of the day there are only 32 NHL Gm jobs in the world. You don't get there by fluke oe winning a draft. You get there because of the respect you have gained throughout all the bs and crap yu took from the big wigs. Bowman, Holland, etc can no longer buy there cups since the salary cap. Essentially best GM wins now.

I am no way justifying Benning and the mess he left here, as I feel the bad outweighs the good, but he did pay his dues and put in the work to get that once in a lifetime gig. 

He will never gm again in the NHL for obvious reasons, but I don't feel sorry for him and his bank account.

• Cheers 1

Im curious but we probably wont know untill season end player availability, where Milkheyev is at in his recovery.  He is also one of the key cogs in this line up.

On that note, how this team performs by the 82 game mark is intriguing as well.  It’s Tocchett’s first full season w this team.  If he cant get what he needs out of certain playets, I dont think PA is going to be shy about trying to improve the team.   

4 minutes ago, Vancan said:

At the end of the day there are only 32 NHL Gm jobs in the world. You don't get there by fluke oe winning a draft. You get there because of the respect you have gained throughout all the bs and crap yu took from the big wigs. Bowman, Holland, etc can no longer buy there cups since the salary cap. Essentially best GM wins now.

I am no way justifying Benning and the mess he left here, as I feel the bad outweighs the good, but he did pay his dues and put in the work to get that once in a lifetime gig. 

He will never gm again in the NHL for obvious reasons, but I don't feel sorry for him and his bank account.

Dubas and Gillis got gifted jobs despite not belong qualified.  It happens.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Vancan said:

I'm not feeling sorry for him neither, but he did a few good things... as you said, he'll never GM in this league again.

9 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jt-miller-owns-it-vegas-beatdown-canucks

The game was lost in the first period, on a pair of goals by the Vegas Golden Knights’ top line of Jack Eichel, Mark Stone, and Ivan Barbashev. Miller was on for both goals against, and he took ownership of that after the game.

“The challenge is the same every night, to outplay their line, and they outplayed us in the first period and that’s on me,” said Miller. “I played a little slow in the first period today and they were ready to play. They were desperate. They got their goals out of hard work and outworked us, and that’s on me.”

“We didn’t cover anybody,” Miller said. “I might as well not even been there, just standing there.”

The Canucks broke down defensively on the second goal, scored by Eichel. Miller was slow to get back on the rush, but Brock Boeser also left his defensive responsibility, causing a three-on-two down low.

Credit to the boy for taking ownership... now rectify it for next game...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

Im curious but we probably wont know untill season end player availability, where Milkheyev is at in his recovery.  He is also one of the key cogs in this line up.

On that note, how this team performs by the 82 game mark is intriguing as well.  It’s Tocchett’s first full season w this team.  If he cant get what he needs out of certain playets, I dont think PA is going to be shy about trying to improve the team.   

How we perform come game 82 will come down to health and confidence. How we perform after game 82??? 

We are getting into the playoffs no question. Vegas just gave us there A game last night. We never came close to even being slightly competitive.... ONE game, a best of seven series let's be realistic. They will likely repeat as cup champs, and this is not really something we should be ashamed of. By my estimates we are two years ahead of where we should be. We will get there, but last night made it blatantly obvious it won't be this year. 

14 hours ago, Diamonds said:

It wouldn't be linking them up as a permanent fixture, but to get Pettersson going again. Pettersson is off for whatever reason and Miller and Boeser are our next two best offensive forwards. It's not working with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko right now so who else would you suggest Pettersson play with to try and get him going? This team needs Pettersson to be on to be successful, otherwise we will likely continue to operate around the .500 mark.

The "reason" is that this kind of poor stretch has unfortunately been a consistent part of his identity over his career. 

In assessing his value, people (including the media) seem to choose to only remember the peaks (which are great, no doubt) and forget the prolonged periods of poor play peppered throughput.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yup.  Vegas was compelled to play their very best hockey. To defend their position in the standings, and to stop their losing streak. Add to that a few lucky bounces with two quick goals, the Myers non-penalty penalty call goal, the Knights rode the highway all night. 

It was a loss, but a great lesson for the players and for Tocchet to use for the team as to how much more they need to commit to.  There's a lot of season left. That's why the good start was crucial.

I'm not worried at all yet. Other years we have run into roadblocks with no hope on the horizon. This management group is quick to fix and make moves. Trouble/injuries with our defensive game? Zadarov is brought in.  Soucy will get better and be a big factor. Then we always have a backup plan in Bear, if we need him when he's available, as I think Vancouver would have a leg up on getting him back.  Allvin is slowly building some defensive depth we haven't had for a long time.

Petey will get back in form, just like he did last time some were wringing their hands with that bad start.  I wonder if contract issues are affecting his play.  I really hope its not his wrist because that's been talked about for years already...every time he goes into any kind of slump.  Which implies, if it is true then its some kind of injury that will never really heal properly.

If this team plays back down to a .500 record I will start to get flummoxed.  And my posts will be accused of being "negative". But as of now I think they have the talent to use this cushion to get healthy, get back to Tocchet basics, and get more confidence back. 

Get a few wins in a row again, and this place will be rockin.

Really well said. I agree. Everything is going in the right direction. Management is obviously committed to not only building the right lineup to win but also guys that can play the right way within a structured system and within an identity.

Laat night and our recent showings against top tier teams shows us where we need to go. It's games like Vegas, despite losing, that pull us forward. Right now we're not beating those top teams. I'm fully confident, though, that we will in the second half.

Petey is a concern. Especially if it's a nagging injury. We've all seen his hot and cold streaks but we actually have more skill and offensive talent that should offset his slump. Contract issues shouldn't be impacting his play because he's the one who took a stance on negotiations before the season. If he's going to take a hard line to wait and see - ie: winning culture - he has to do his part. No excuses. 

I'm not worried at the moment. We are a much better team. That's obvious. But yeah, if we fall to .500 the frustration will real and justified. Especially knowing that this team has the talent and management is doing the right things.

The thing is, though, we're not .500, we have a lot of positives this season, so any doom and gloom negativity as if we are a .500 team is unnecessary negativity. Negativity shouldn't be the primary narrative given where we are right now.

We're 15-8-1 with the most goals in the league. Concern doesn't mean it HAS to be negative. It just means there's cause for some concern.

If we do wind up at .500 then the "negative" posters will have more of a case.

And you're right. Other years we have run into roadblocks with no hope on the horizon. This year is different. I agree, they do have the talent to use this cushion to get healthy and get back into winning and doing it consistently. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Shows how far off we are from being a contender, they're just so much deeper we are up front. Badly played across the board, we just don't seem to play well against Vegas every shot we get, plus they find a way to control the game every time.

We're really slumping here, let's hope Zadorov walks in and stabilises our D.

That game is a one off. 

It doesn't show shit. 

This team can compete as is, especially with a couple more additions. 

Their main issue is learning how to play a consistent, hard game. Plus were missing a couple of guys who play a big part. 

Vegas just snapped a 3,4 game losing streak... 

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Garland is too tiny. He’s a Benning stain that needs to be cleansed. 

Garland is a useless tiny piece of craperolla (Benning stain, of course) that must be cleansed. He just might be one of the worst players (for their contracts) we’ve ever had. Alf is talking LE territory. He must go! Pay the price Allvin and dumperoo this garden gnome. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

It's funny how we went from such a high to such a low... 

We were so fast, playing with pace, top 3 scorers in the league... 

Now it's frustrating and anger lol. 

Like how can they be so good and so bad? 

The team is probably playing like before - its the opposition that has adjusted their strategy - this is where input from Foote / Gonchar may be very helpful - the opposition besides blocking shots + pressuring Hughes / Hronek like crazy- are all driving to the Canucks net with force, disrupting Demko and getting those close in goals. 

Lets see how the Canucks respond to these games starting tomorrow- might as well get use to it since LA + others will probably do the same thing.

Just Win.jpg

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Garland is a useless tiny piece of craperolla (Benning stain, of course) that must be cleansed. He just might be one of the worst players (for their contracts) we’ve ever had. Alf is talking LE territory. He must go! Pay the price Allvin and dumperoo this garden gnome. 

You are out of your mind Alf! Comparing Garland to LE is absolute ludicrous. 

Lay off the pineapple juice! 

Garland is actually contributing in a positive way. 

You keep digging on Benning. Let it go. What a fricken' joke. 

• Upvote 1