PGT - Vegas at Vancouver - November 30 2023

PhillipBlunt

Despite a bad game, only 3 pts back of Vegas with same # games played.  

6-2-1 in Oct 

9-6 in Nov

Got 7 home games in Dec.  5 on the road. 1 back to back. Top teams include TB, Stars, FLA, Canes. 

Need to get back to a better performance.  5-5-0 last 10.   

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hogs thinks too slow without the puck. He’s a big liability. IMHAO we are going to trade him. 

Can't afford to trade him, he's on the verge of breaking into the middle or top six at a $1.1M cap hit. As long as Garland is on the team, and nobody seems to want him at least until the deadline, Hogs balances out his bloated cap hit. If he gets some reps with Petey and Laffy, good for him. I think Petey is overhandling the puck right now, put him with two guys who are great at puck retrieval, and Hogs can make plays, and can get the puck to Petey in scoring spots. If Hogs has the puck on his stick, that draws some coverage from Petey. Also, playing with Laffy and Hogs should give that line increased zone time, as opposed to Petey with Kuzy and Mic, where Petey is probably the best luck retriever of the three of them.

Stop the bed wetting. This team is a work in progress. Tocchet took over an undisciplined mess that played hard in spurts when it suited them. Those instincts do not change overnight, it takes time and repetition. Did the team shit the bed against the best team in the league, the defending cup champs? Yup. Is Vegas a better, more disciplined team at this point in the season? No doubt. On a good night, when healthy, the Canucks are just below the elite tier of teams, Vegas, Boston, Avs, Rangers, maybe LA and Dallas. This was not supposed to be their year. They still have some lineup building to do, PDG on the top line tells you that much. They will make the playoffs. They might even win a series. Given luck and a hot Demko, they could pull a Panthers from last year. The team that played last night is not healthy and still being molded, it's not the finished product. Put a diaper on, and have some patience. I know it's been a while, but this new administration had been in place for about ten minutes, this stuff takes time!

• Cheers 4

Okay. I'm not panicking. Sure. We lost. I did chime in earlier in this thread saying how I hate the Golden Knights. You'll be happy to know, that feeling has not changed. Okay.....so.........

Obviously, any Western Conference team knows they'll need to get by the Avs and Knights to get a chance at Lord Stanley; Canucks included. Obvioulsly we need work.

I think JR/PA's short term plan is to make a playoff appearance this season, perhaps wreak some havoc, and make Aquaman happy that he's finally gonna net some post season dough after almost a decade. Stanley Cup contention, I believe, is not in the plans for a while yet. 

I think we can play with the likes of the Oilers, Stars, Kings, Jets, Flames. And I'm not saying we can't compete with the Avs and Knights because we lost to 'em thus far this season; I say this 'cuz they're Stanley Cup champs the past two seasons. They've shown many a time since their respective Championships why they're so good.

Our Canucks will look much different yet again next season. Much different, AND, much better!

Edited by Sativika
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Okay. I'm not panicking. Sure. We lost. I did chime in earlier in this thread saying how I hate the Golden Knights. You'll be happy to know, that feeling has not changed. Okay.....so.........

Obviously, any Western Conference team knows they'll need to get by the Avs and Knights to get a chance at Lord Stanley; Canucks included. Obvioulsly we need work.

I think JR/PA's short term plan is to make a playoff appearance this season, perhaps wreak some havoc, and make Aquaman happy that he's finally gonna net some post season dough after almost a decade. Stanley Cup contention, I believe, is not in the plans for a while yet. 

I think we can play with the likes of the Oilers, Stars, Kings, Jets, Flames. And I'm not saying we can't compete with the Avs and Knights because we lost to 'em thus far this season; I say this 'cuz they're Stanley Cup champs the past two seasons. They've shown many a time since their respective Championships why they're so good.

Our Canucks will look much different yet again next season. Much different, AND, much better!

Also  the NHL did not do the Canucks any favours by having us play 1/4+ of the schedule before December with a brutal schedule in November that had them play 15 games in 30 nights.

The 15-games in November is finally over. The Canucks finished the month with a 9-6-0 record, which is pretty good considering the travel and number of back-to-backs they had to endure

Get our injured new players in the lineup, add in Zadorov and lower Myers min to 17 where he is more effective and i think we will be fine, (even with tough teams coming up)

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Stop the bed wetting. This team is a work in progress. Tocchet took over an undisciplined mess that played hard in spurts when it suited them. Those instincts do not change overnight, it takes time and repetition. Did the team shit the bed against the best team in the league, the defending cup champs? Yup. Is Vegas a better, more disciplined team at this point in the season? No doubt. On a good night, when healthy, the Canucks are just below the elite tier of teams, Vegas, Boston, Avs, Rangers, maybe LA and Dallas. This was not supposed to be their year. They still have some lineup building to do, PDG on the top line tells you that much. They will make the playoffs. They might even win a series. Given luck and a hot Demko, they could pull a Panthers from last year. The team that played last night is not healthy and still being molded, it's not the finished product. Put a diaper on, and have some patience. I know it's been a while, but this new administration had been in place for about ten minutes, this stuff takes time!

I have to disagree, it should be this year because if not. The organisation is wasting our big 4 of their prime break out age just to be out of the playoff. 

I’m not too worry here, because it’s a small slump need to overcome (every teams deal with slumps all the time) and this match up is like a test what they need to make improvements on. 

2 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

I have to disagree, it should be this year because if not. The organisation is wasting our big 4 of their prime break out age just to be out of the playoff. 

I’m not too worry here, because it’s a small slump need to overcome (every teams deal with slumps all the time) and this match up is like a test what they need to make improvements on. 

Neither Petey nor Quinn are at their peak. Petey will enter his peak window in about two years, Quinn in four or five (defensemen develop later). They are both improving every year. Thatcher is in his peak window; let's hope it's a long peak like Fleury's, but the injuries Thatcher has suffered so far in his career will likely shorten his window. Miller is in the second half of his peak, but he takes care of himself, keeps improving, and hasn't suffered any serious injuries, so he might be one of those ageless wonders who continue to contribute after age 35. Over the next three years, we have the best prospects in the system ready to break in: Pods, who scored again tonight, Raty, Karlsson, Lekkerimaki, D Petey, Willander, and Brzustewicz, all making this roster a lot deeper and more skilled. This team's window is at least two years down the road; that's when we can expect they'll have a chance to win every night, no matter the competition. 

17 hours ago, stawns said:

I think your expectations for Zad arent realistic.  He's a bottom pairing guy and his play is inconsistent. 

Zad has been hyped up a bit too much. He has some shades of Myers in his game.  But the fact remains, he is a massive upgrade on Juulson. And it will bump Myers minutes down which will improve his game a lot

10 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

When healthy, the Canucks are better on paper than the Kings or Vegas. 

Colorado and New York has a slight advantage but that's about it

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

When healthy, the Canucks are better on paper than the Kings or Vegas. 

Colorado and New York has a slight advantage but that's about it

Disagree, Vegas' top line is better than either of the Canucks top two as they are currently built. Their defense is big and mobile, and the top four are better than the Canucks top four. They play their system better than Canucks currently play Tocchet's system. And they play with more confidence. Until somebody shows me otherwise, the are the favorite to repeat.

26 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Disagree, Vegas' top line is better than either of the Canucks top two as they are currently built. Their defense is big and mobile, and the top four are better than the Canucks top four. They play their system better than Canucks currently play Tocchet's system. And they play with more confidence. Until somebody shows me otherwise, the are the favorite to repeat.

That's because you are basing it all on one game. You probably wouldn't be saying this after watching their losses to Chicago , Arizona, Anehiem or Philly. 

We have the top goal differential in the league. Not Vegas

Petrianjelo is 33. Anyone would take Hughs and Hronek over the Vegas pair. Plus Soucy/Zadorov move pretty good for bigger guys. Even Myers can play a solid game at lower minutes. 

Vegas's top line is not as dynamic as ours either. But it's all about what have you done for me lately.

Edited by Blue

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

Remember the narrative was that the Canucks weren't that good bc they feasted on the Sharks ?

Until the Canucks play Vegas close, they don't necessarily have to beat them, just not get run over by them, I might change my mind. I never said Pietrangelo was better than Hughes, but they are better as  group, they use their size and mobility to keep everything outside, and they do an impressive job of limiting second and third chances. They are better, right now. There is lots of season to go, but Tocchet has to find a way to get more out of the top two lines, because lately they suck. Eichel's line feasted on Miller's line.  And Petey hasn't been right for a few weeks, and lately has been a huge minus out there. Miller also doesn't look quite right, but I'm sure fatigue from the November torture test was a thing.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan

8 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Until the Canucks play Vegas close, they don't necessarily have to beat them, just not get run over by them, I might change my mind. I never said Pietrangelo was better than Hughes, but they are better as  group, they use their size and mobility to keep everything outside, and they do an impressive job of limiting second and third chances. They are better, right now. There is lots of season to go, but Tocchet has to find a way to get more out of the top two lines, because lately they suck. Eichel's line feasted on Miller's line.  And Petey hasn't been right for a few weeks, and lately has been a huge minus out there. Miller also doesn't look quite right, but I'm sure fatigue from the November torture test was a thing.

Again. One game. The Miller line destroyed Mcdavid and Draisitle 3 times. And the top line in Toronto 

Edited by Blue