PGT - Vegas at Vancouver - November 30 2023

PhillipBlunt

8 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Basically our core group needs to be better than their core group. Zadorov might help prevent players getting to Demko's crease with ease. We may need more though, some more players who plays big.

I agree. Zadorov will definitely help. We're getting bigger, our D is getting stronger. Our core are just now stepping into their own maturity, their prime, which brings greater awareness and confidence. The previous years of adversity should soon start paying off.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I think the biggest thing right now is just the fact that we were forced to overplay Hughes and Hronek because they didn’t trust the other D.

Those two were a massive part of our success early but now they’re a bit rundown. We need to spread the minutes for the next stretch of games and let those guys power up.

Adding Zadorov should help with shaving minutes off Hronek and Hughes icetime. If they are bagged already and just a 1/4 into season that's not good for the long stretch unless minutes are spread out better. When Soucy comes back and if Bear comes back that should help too. Maybe we're another trade away still to address those concerns 

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think the loss to Cgy, Seattle and the sharks hurt. 

Wed prob feel a lot better about things had we won those games but yeah, perspective is important. We're dealing with injuries and admittedly haven't played well yet we are 6-6. We just added a key D man and hopefully our injured guys will be back soon

Winning all 82 games would feel great, but is it really possible? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Negative people hide behind losing because it gives the illusion that their negativity is justified.

Criticism is completely different. Made all the more credible when one has the ability to also point out the positives.

Last night's game is exactly what we need to learn from to raise our game to the next level. It's a positive within the negative.

Yup.  Vegas was compelled to play their very best hockey. To defend their position in the standings, and to stop their losing streak. Add to that a few lucky bounces with two quick goals, the Myers non-penalty penalty call goal, the Knights rode the highway all night. 

It was a loss, but a great lesson for the players and for Tocchet to use for the team as to how much more they need to commit to.  There's a lot of season left. That's why the good start was crucial.

I'm not worried at all yet. Other years we have run into roadblocks with no hope on the horizon. This management group is quick to fix and make moves. Trouble/injuries with our defensive game? Zadarov is brought in.  Soucy will get better and be a big factor. Then we always have a backup plan in Bear, if we need him when he's available, as I think Vancouver would have a leg up on getting him back.  Allvin is slowly building some defensive depth we haven't had for a long time.

Petey will get back in form, just like he did last time some were wringing their hands with that bad start.  I wonder if contract issues are affecting his play.  I really hope its not his wrist because that's been talked about for years already...every time he goes into any kind of slump.  Which implies, if it is true then its some kind of injury that will never really heal properly.

If this team plays back down to a .500 record I will start to get flummoxed.  And my posts will be accused of being "negative". But as of now I think they have the talent to use this cushion to get healthy, get back to Tocchet basics, and get more confidence back. 

Get a few wins in a row again, and this place will be rockin.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Blue said:

It's funny. Ppl think we will go at an 82/0 pace once Soucy and Zadorov are in the lineup

Like I've said before, the Canucks are a very good team finally coming into their own. They still have some mountains to climb and will encounter valleys along the way. How they respond to losses (which will happen, especially against a team like Vegas) is what helps to define them. 

Some fans are really bipolar

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I agree. Zadorov will definitely help. We're getting bigger, our D is getting stronger. Our core are just now stepping into their own maturity, their prime, which brings greater awareness and confidence. The previous years of adversity should soon start paying off.

If we had Big Z last night. Baby Eichel wouldn't be on his feet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

This I don't understand Stawns. 
I think, I'm fairly open minded, but yes probably leaning towards beingp positive, and calling out negative posters. 
I don't get, how I am trashing the actual players?

Last night they laid an egg, no doubt about it, but it happens. If poster said some players were poor its fair, cause they collectively were. 

And yes, they have not had the same kind of jump, as they did from the start of the season, but from there to totally slag off the coach and the management is a joke. 

Its the coach job to rectify this, but it doesn't take 5 minutes....

Last night looked like some of the days under Bruce with lazy back tracking, players running into one another, passing to nobody amd in general very little structure... to me at least it looked like a few of the, unfortunately, core players reverted to their old ways. 

It's correct, that it is the coach job to rectify this, but he is changing the mindset of them, and it obviously takes time. 

Maybe in the long run, the players we have, can't play the kind of hockey Tocchet want, and heads may roll, but we haven't been as bad as yesterdday during the spell of average hockey. 

And I have noticed a fair few posters crawling out from under their rocks to start posting, slagging of the team, the coaching staff or senior management. Posters that never posts after a win. 

That suggests to me, they are waiting for the team to fail, and I can only speculate, as to why that is. 

I personally think its because they either don't like the management, the coaching staff or are blatant trolls, enjoying the misery of a very loyal and tired fan base. 

A few people here are still unhappy with Horvat been the guy traded away instead of Miller, but they should all remember, that Horvat was offered a deal after Millers deal, but he said no and moved on. 
I am very greatful, we didn't sign Bo to the deal he got with Islanders, and I am also in general happy with Miller and his contract, as he is often the driver of this train. 

The only question slowly developing for me is if Peteys start was a flash in the pan, and he now have found his natural level, or something else is wrong.

He is a shadow of himself just now with little to no confidence. 
This matters, when the future of this team and his contract is being looked upon. 

Team was easily man handled yesterday, and lost all over the ice. However, it happens...

The fact, we looked like, we were in dire need of a bigger rugged player(s) up front, that could play on either of the two top lines, was nothing new and has been discussed several times here. 

Now it remains to be seen if Petey and Co. Can roll up their sleeves and get back to winning in these sort of games.
Otherwise JR/PA won't hessitate making changes. 
Nevertheless they need to be given time to prove if they can hack it or not. 

Again it was one game in which they looked really bad. 

Fun fact, I remember the team under AV going through the same issues, and there were several Fire AV threads at the time, together with trade the Sedins for chopped liver, Burrows do we need him, Hansen suck, and Fire Gilles...

Baby steps and maybe give them some leeway before jumping over the cliff edge or giving them all the knife. 

That how I see it, but thats just me... 

Maybe a blind fan, but a fan nevertheless...

I don't know about you, but many of the people who say the support the team most because they believe they are real contenders are first in line to run Myers through the mud for every tiny mistake he makes, same with Juuls, same with Petey 

They have completely unrealistic expectations of the team and players and when their "faith" is shaken, they lash out

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2

Vegas really wanted to beat us.

Cassidy said it was their best game. The Toronto coach said the same thing when they beat us. He said it was their most complete game

Coaches get all horney when they beat us 

Edited by Blue
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Well said

It wasn't sustainable to play Hughes 28min a night. 

Add in that Petey has been in a funk. 

Already thin D corps lost Soucy and is relying on Juulsen and Friedman in the top 6. 

This in turn adds stress on Cole and Myers who aren't good enough to be the leaders of their pairings and were seeing more mistakes from both of them. 

PDG back down to earth. 

3rd line C who was scoring clutch goals got injured. 

It's inevitable that we'll go through some bumps. 

I still have a huge amount of faith in RT and managent. 

Bringing in Z was a huge move and will hopefully stop the bleeding and stabilize the D

Some bright spots. 

Juulsen is looking pretty good. I would be ok with him as the 7D going forward whereas I thought he was AHL fodder. 

Same for Friedman. 

Nice to know we have some depth on D with X coming in and Soucy returning in a few weeks. 

Hogz has been great. 

So has Joshua. 

We're really close to turning it around again. 

Thank goodness we built a good record the first 15 games. It allows us to go through a rough patch like this and push through. 

All good but IMHAO Hogs is not a guy we can win with. Management is for sure trying to move him. Too many mental mistakes. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't know about you, but many of the people who say the support the team most because they believe they are real contenders are first in line to run Myers through the mud for every tiny mistake he makes, same with Juuls, same with Petey 

They have completely unrealistic expectations of the team and players and when their "faith" is shaken, they lash out

This whole debate about which posters are the most negative is dumb. You have made a lot of posts that could be regarded as quite negative. And I don't even mind it.  The board needs opinions from all angles to make it interesting here. To make an arbitrary distinction between calling out individual players vs. the team play as a whole is not realistic.  Both can happen, and both are understandable. It depends on the situation.  I also think there is a difference between the GDT, where immediate emotions are involved, and the PGT where folks have had some time to reflect more.  

What goes on in the GDT...stays in the GDT

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

This whole debate about which posters are the most negative is dumb. You have made a lot of posts that could be regarded as quite negative. And I don't even mind it.  The board needs opinions from all angles to make it interesting here. To make an arbitrary distinction between calling out individual players vs. the team play as a whole is not realistic.  Both can happen, and both are understandable. It depends on the situation.  I also think there is a difference between the GDT, where immediate emotions are involved, and the PGT where folks have had some time to reflect more.  

What goes on in the GDT...stays in the GDT

Mostly, I just reply to posters who address me directly.  Other than that, I give my thoughts about how the team is playing, which hasn't been good for 12 or so games.  I also always add that I like the paty they're on and that they're probably a playoff team.  

You're confusing objectivity with negativity.  I don't trash players and I don't trash the team 

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Blue said:

Some of these are borderline illegal . He's one of the nastiest bastards left in the league 

Yeah, some of them look more than borderline.  I've searched for his NHL suspension history,

but I haven't been successful so far.

Here's another reason to like this guy...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-zadorov-first-russian-nhler-war-ukraine

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Mostly, I just reply to posters who address me directly.  Other than that, I give my thoughts about how the team is playing, which hasn't been good for 12 or so games.  I also always add that I like the paty they're on and that they're probably a playoff team.  

You're confusing objectivity with negativity.  I don't trash players and I don't trash the team 

Yeah but one person's objectivity can be seen as another person's negativity.  And vica versa. 

IMO, other than a few rare cases, no one here really sets out to "trash" the team. We are all fans. Its mostly frustration in the moment. The closest place that happens is the GDT, which as I said, has to be taken with a grain of salt.....because we may be salty after some dumb play by a particular giraffe player.