PGT - Vegas at Vancouver - November 30 2023

PhillipBlunt

Starting to lose a bit of confidence tbh.

We'll see how they respond on Saturday but they seem to be clearly lacking against top team (expected to some extent), but even against lesser teams can't put together a full effort anymore.

I have alot of faith in Tocchet but to see this team consistently fall apart when met with a bit adversity is very discouraging, don't think they've had 1 significant comeback win this year. 

26 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I don't understand how people are blaming the core Miller and Pettersson in particular. 

The team structure comes from the Coach

Maybe because the team is in its 3rd coach in 3 years. how many times are we going to keep blaming the coach and not the core?

You know the old saying 

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quack likes a duck ...

basically at this point this team is what it is. 

31 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Because the Defensive Structure has never been fixed. 

Scoring hides a lot from fans but if you played this game in the higher tiers you could see this coming a mile away.

Still missing 2 more tier 2 defensmen. I'm not expecting Zadorov to be the answer as he only play 12-15 miniutes on average per game and is a 3rd liner D, but he should be better that Jewelson or FriedMan so it should help somewhat and is a move in the right direction - but slightly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

JR and AV has already made 11 roster regular changes only the core remain. So who needs to go Miller, Pettersson, Hughes, Demko who. 

Myers I will give you but who else.

If you start naming JR an AV players they brought in we are having a different discussing

We need to add a top 4 D that can eat 20+ minutes at a high level. We got two right now.  

We need to add a top 6 forward that brings elements we lack and can help elevate the core. 

We need 2-3 better bottom 6 forwards.  Some speed, size, bite , heart, pushback. 

If they had the cap they would have done a whole lot more. They are restricted because of our cap situation. That’s why management had tempered expectations going into the year. 

That’s why I said next year will also be a big year as they will probably continue to try and add pieces they feel fit. 

Once they get players that fit in better and help round the roster a coach can work magic. 

Right now we gotta bunch of puzzle pieces that don’t fit together. 

Team composition and more talent. That won’t happen till we got cap so it’s a waiting game. So far they’ve made some good additions but they’ll need to continue to do so. There’s a lot of work ahead. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We need to add a top 4 D that can eat 20+ minutes at a high level. We got two right now.  

We need to add a top 6 forward that brings elements we lack and can help elevate the core. 

We need 2-3 better bottom 6 forwards.  Some speed, size, bite , heart, pushback. 

If they had the cap they would have done a whole lot more. They are restricted because of our cap situation. That’s why management had tempered expectations going into the year. 

That’s why I said next year will also be a big year as they will probably continue to try and add pieces they feel fit. 

Once they get players that fit in better and help round the roster a coach can work magic. 

Team composition and more talent. That won’t happen till we got cap so it’s a waiting game. So far they’ve made some good additions but they’ll need to continue to do so. There’s a lot of work ahead. 

Who do they replace.

Which players currently on the roster goes.

I don't know why people are so surprised and upset.

Every building contender goes through this.

It is very common for younger teams on the cusp to come out of the gate really fast, then slow down.

As others have said, this team is miles better than it was last season or the seasons before... when Markstrom or Demko had to stand on their head for the team to win.

I expect this team to make the playoffs, but likely they won't finish top of the division... or even second, not with Vegas and LA in the division.

I would be happy if they finish third... but they may need to do it the Wild Card route.

Team needed defense improvements... size and skill... now they have Zadorov... lets hope Foote and Goncharev can teach him positioning and discipline.  If that happens, the team will improve.  And we need to have more defensive discipline at the front of the net and better control of the boards.

They also need more speed and size up front... when I was watching this game the thing I noticed was how quickly the Vegas players caught up to the Canuck forwards on the backcheck... Vegas has a fast team.  So either the Canucks get more speed, or they start to work on their passing game so they can use puck movement to accelerate the attack.

Overall I am happy with the progress of the team this year.

• Cheers 2

Just now, CanuckFanForever said:

Do poor defensive teams win in the playoffs

Ask 

EDM or Tor

Wait, I thought you were bitching about the coach?

Now you are moving to the D?

Better stop chasing the rotgut with Red Bulls.  All that anger boosted with energy ain't a great mix.

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Still missing 2 more tier 2 defensmen. I'm not expecting Zadorov to be the answer as he only play 12-15 miniutes on average per game and is a 3rd liner D, but he should be better that Jewelson or FriedMan so it should help somewhat and is a move in the right direction - but slightly. 

Agree with this, Juulsen Friedman in the lineup forces Myers to play more...its not a recipe for success when half the D is suspect.  Getting a couple legit NHL regulars back into the lineup will settle the D down and will help Myers ...if he is in a limited role he actually is not that bad. 

IMHO its unrealistic to expect this team to beat up on the top tier NHL teams with this sort of hole in the lineup right now.  I wont even get into the fact that one of the top 2 lines looks like it has no chemistry and isnt doing much.  Some big disadvantages that make it hard to keep up with the better teams.  The star players can probably overcome these holes against avereage/below average teams but it will be hard to beat the Colorado/Vegas type teams till they get healthy on the back end and figure out whats going on with EP's line.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

SO in you mind good coaches can only work "magic" when things are perfect.

Vegas is missing there top d-MAN AND THEIR #3 D-MAN. They ran over us

• Haha 1