PGT - Vegas at Vancouver - November 30 2023

PhillipBlunt

Shows how far off we are from being a contender, they're just so much deeper we are up front. Badly played across the board, we just don't seem to play well against Vegas every shot we get, plus they find a way to control the game every time.

We're really slumping here, let's hope Zadorov walks in and stabilises our D.

2 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

Last I checked Vegas has lost to Oilers and Flames and Blackhawks while beating Avalanche 7-0

Teams do lose some (even VGK)

Tough loss

Except the loses to Calgary and Edmonton were non regulation loses so it means Vegas kept it close.

And the previous one was with Arizona and, from the numbers, Vegas outplayed Arizona and only lost 2-0 and the last goal was an Empty netter

Vancouver's loses were mostly awful beatings including this one.

I dunno maybe it’s just me and I’m wearing rose coloured glasses but I really don’t think they were that far off. I’d say goals aside 1st period was pretty balanced as far as pressure goes. For most the 2nd half I felt we were really taking it to them before the 3rd before it where it was pretty much over. Couple broken plays and bang bang goals against Vegas are hard to come back from with such a defensive team but I wouldn’t say they dominated us. They can learn a lot from this. People are so quick to turn on Toch too jeez! If you can’t see the guy has done a great job but needs to make some adjustments then maybe you need to go watch some replays of the last few years. 

18 minutes ago, BornMello said:

I dunno maybe it’s just me and I’m wearing rose coloured glasses but I really don’t think they were that far off. I’d say goals aside 1st period was pretty balanced as far as pressure goes. For most the 2nd half I felt we were really taking it to them before the 3rd before it where it was pretty much over. Couple broken plays and bang bang goals against Vegas are hard to come back from with such a defensive team but I wouldn’t say they dominated us. They can learn a lot from this. People are so quick to turn on Toch too jeez! If you can’t see the guy has done a great job but needs to make some adjustments then maybe you need to go watch some replays of the last few years. 

Vegas made our team look ineffective.  The stats show it.  Tocchet has said it outright: “They’re Stanley Cup Champions for a reason. They were strong on the puck tonight. We had a few pushes but not enough.”

image.png.0c659ccb69ed29fb2429f6308d11e79e.png

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Vegas made our team look ineffective.  The stats show it.  Tocchet has said it outright: “They’re Stanley Cup Champions for a reason. They were strong on the puck tonight. We had a few pushes but not enough.”

image.png.0c659ccb69ed29fb2429f6308d11e79e.png

Fancy numbers and a pretty picture.

Old school;

Shot on goal - Van 22, Vegas 44, this indicates an ass whopping. Twice as long in Vancouver's end

Goals - Vegas 4, Van -1, Vegas one goal every ten shots - Van one goal in 22. this indicates shot quality and goaltender effectiveness. 

Hits  Van - 18 Vegas 23 - The "want it" factor, which team was the faster of the two

+/-, player luck and/or effectiveness.

AND the score 4-1. One team won! Captain Obvious! How long one team kept the lead

Not an ass kicking but certainly ownership.

Maybe the players were just shocked at the news of a trade?

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Okay, okay, okay,  we get it .... you dislike Tocchet 

Every second post these last 4 pages is you blaming our coach.  Enough already. One post would be sufficient to identify those that agree with you.  30 negative posts on 3 pages isn't  going to convice we other 3000 online to agree with you. 

He's a troll....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Old school;

Shot on goal - Van 22, Vegas 44, this indicates an ass whopping. Twice as long in Vancouver's end

Goals - Vegas 4, Van -1, Vegas one goal every ten shots - Van one goal in 22. this indicates shot quality and goaltender effectiveness. 

Hits  Van - 18 Vegas 23 - The "want it" factor, which team was the faster of the two

AND the score 4-1. One team won! Captain Obvious! How long one team kept the lead

They got beat all over the ice.... tonight...

Tonight....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Old school;

That picture looks pretty ugly to me.  Almost the entire team had a below average performance.  Here's the Vegas statcard:

image.thumb.png.eb8b6a0ac3fe2ae7329875f3589816b1.png

The graph has been completely skewed thanks to those top guys.  We got pumped this game.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Shows how far off we are from being a contender, they're just so much deeper we are up front. Badly played across the board, we just don't seem to play well against Vegas every shot we get, plus they find a way to control the game every time.

The game did expose some warts. Even though Boeser has all those goals he was totally ineffective, the lack of size everywhere and mostly on the back end was magnified, the effects of playing at a playoff intensity at the beginning of the season was showing where more trades need to be worked on.

Why is Petey sprawling all over the ice so often? Not shooting from the dot? Is Hughes starting to be too selfish on the PP?

Need to get bigger all over.

Two more players. A different 6.6 million dollar man, one that can do more than stand in front of the net and another large mean defenceman with a long reach. I know nobody likes to hear this or dredge up old news but another Tryamkin sized dman with his "power" would be great. If in doubt just look how he handled some of the toughest players physically, hits and truculence and how he smothered McDavid and Draisatl. Zadorov is close but another one would/could be team altering. Zadorov alone WILL make a difference. Ristolainen?

They will or should make the playoffs this year. 

5 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I don't understand how people are blaming the core Miller and Pettersson in particular. 

The team structure comes from the Coach

Take a look at how Pettersson has played of late, and think about how much people believe his next contract will be worth. You can't just chalk this up to a brief slump. Poor stretches like this have been a consistent part of his career.

• Cheers 2

They are a better team.
We have been playing poorly and have been believing our press clippings. 

We have played mostly very well though haven’t dealt with injuries well.

‘Other than playing an almost perfect game against Dallas we have mostly not been very good against the elite teams. 
‘Hopefully they see that and see the consistency of effort put in by the elite teams and adjust. 
‘I would hope most of us realized that we would be coming back to earth somewhat, but then again we collectively have the tendency believe that we are what we look like during a hot streak and conveniently ignore every other game. 

Edited by DrJockitch

Think of the last month as a evaluation of the team to see where the warts are and how our back up do in different positions.

One month ago Allvin talked about a reward. Then we got into a slump. 
I don’t believe that is a coincidence but a strategic decision before the reward.

Now we can go into winning mode again until a month before TdL…

NHL is a long game, not a short game as some here seem to think.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The boys struggled, mostly thru the neutral zone. The Meyers penalty and resulting PP goal was a killer. I thought the Canucks were building early in the 3rd. There are different ways of looking at this loss. I think it sends a message to the players that RT can verbalize but self analysis probably confirms. Miller's post game was really aware and bang on. 

I am anxious to see Zadorov play. Big guy. Starts as a LD with many pairing him with Cole. I understand the importance of pairing him with a vet to begin with. Like a broken record I say again that Juulson is rounding into a solid 3RD. Freidman is on the other side but IMHO Juulson is the better d-man. He had another good game last night. With Zadorov added and Sousy returning at some point the Canucks are getting some bite on the back end. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jt-miller-owns-it-vegas-beatdown-canucks

The game was lost in the first period, on a pair of goals by the Vegas Golden Knights’ top line of Jack Eichel, Mark Stone, and Ivan Barbashev. Miller was on for both goals against, and he took ownership of that after the game.

“The challenge is the same every night, to outplay their line, and they outplayed us in the first period and that’s on me,” said Miller. “I played a little slow in the first period today and they were ready to play. They were desperate. They got their goals out of hard work and outworked us, and that’s on me.”

“We didn’t cover anybody,” Miller said. “I might as well not even been there, just standing there.”

The Canucks broke down defensively on the second goal, scored by Eichel. Miller was slow to get back on the rush, but Brock Boeser also left his defensive responsibility, causing a three-on-two down low.

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 4

6 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

What is the goals against playoff teams and non-playoff teams.

I'm not denying this team isn't going to the playoffs they can beat non playoff teams that 50%. They are good against bad teams for the most part.

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have finally found Mike from Surrey on our very own messageboards. 

• Haha 2

I had a feeling this game would go this way. Probably helpful in the room to realize that we aren’t quite there yet. Coaches can point to exactly how demoralized you can make another team feel when you play the right way and give them nothing, just like Vegas did to us. 

We are a good team. Not a great team yet. All part of the journey. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Golden Knights head coach Bruce Cassidy was effusive in praising his team's effort playing the eighth of their last nine games on the road.

"This was probably one of our best games of the year," he said. "I thought overall the way we checked, kept Vancouver's top players, made them really work to get space, converted our chances, special teams were good.

"We just had no weaknesses tonight and so as a coach those are the games you love."

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/vegas-golden-knights-turn-up-heat-with-win-over-vancouver-canucks-1.2043141#:~:text=Golden Knights head coach Bruce,the year%2C" he said.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Golden Knights head coach Bruce Cassidy was effusive in praising his team's effort playing the eighth of their last nine games on the road.

"This was probably one of our best games of the year," he said. "I thought overall the way we checked, kept Vancouver's top players, made them really work to get space, converted our chances, special teams were good.

"We just had no weaknesses tonight and so as a coach those are the games you love."

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/vegas-golden-knights-turn-up-heat-with-win-over-vancouver-canucks-1.2043141#:~:text=Golden Knights head coach Bruce,the year%2C" he said.

C828916E-9ADE-494C-8AFC-599AEE60D7A0.gif.7783fde8fccc8a5a4fa620f8259cbeb9.gif

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, SV. said:

Can't say I was shocked to see the team lose, and lose as lopsided as they did, at that.

It is what it is.  Same story that happened in Toronto, Colorado, and now tonight.

Hopefully, a bounce back in Calgary with the new acquisition.

I wouldn't put Colorado game in the same group as Toronto or Vegas game. 

Colorado game could have gone either way. I thought we showed ok there. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Except the loses to Calgary and Edmonton were non regulation loses so it means Vegas kept it close.

And the previous one was with Arizona and, from the numbers, Vegas outplayed Arizona and only lost 2-0 and the last goal was an Empty netter

Vancouver's loses were mostly awful beatings including this one.

That's part of the issue for van over this stretch of 12ish gamed........when they lose, they lose in regulation and not getting any loser points.  That might bite them in the ass in april

• Cheers 1