PGT - Vegas at Vancouver - November 30 2023

PhillipBlunt

Just now, CanucksJay said:

I wouldn't put Colorado game in the same group as Toronto or Vegas game. 

Colorado game could have gone either way. I thought we showed ok there. 

Van played a pretty decent game against the AVs, but that outcome was never really in doubt, imo.  Colorado outplayed them, mostly, across the board

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Van played a pretty decent game against the AVs, but that outcome was never really in doubt, imo.  Colorado outplayed them, mostly, across the board

I think we may have outshot them and our expected goals for vs against was better than theirs

I thought it was a really close game actually and could have gone either way. 

I definitely disagree that the game was never in doubt. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

They've been waiting forever with sharpened knives...

They either don't like the Tocchet over Bruce hire, or the they traded away 'my Bo Horvat'....

Several posters hardly ever post after a win... must be hard to be this miserable...

Alternatively, there are a few trolls...

Or some people are objective.  Tocchet had them playing well and they definitely snuck up on teams for the first 15 games, but teams are ready for them now and the coaching staff hasn't adjusted, at all. 

The even strength scoring is almost gone and the PP has cool down........isn't it up to the coaching staff to make those adjustments?  

To me, the negative people are the ones who were oblivious or willfully blind as to what was happening on the ice since the Dallas game and wanted to shout down anyone with a different perspective.

I'm one of the people who's been concerned, but objectively and, I believe, rightly so.  Yet, I stay positive about the players and about their playoff chances. 

The people who are calling others out for bring negative are the ones trashing the actual players because it's now blatantly obvious that the team isn't who they thought they were

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I think we may have outshot them and our expected goals for vs against was better than theirs

Petey is absolutely off, but no one is scoring 5v5

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I wouldn't put Colorado game in the same group as Toronto or Vegas game. 

Colorado game could have gone either way. I thought we showed ok there. 

Colorado game was certainly the best/closest of the three.

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Just different perspectives I guess.  I thought they played well for two periods, but id classify it as "hanging in there".  I never once felt that the outcome of that game was going to be any different than it was.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Just different perspectives I guess.  I thought they played well for two periods, but id classify it as "hanging in there".  I never once felt that the outcome of that game was going to be any different than it was.

I think what your saying has an inherent bias built in. 

If you say they played well for the first 2 periods but you never once felt that the outcome would be any different, it means your bias is clouding what you are actually seeing on the ice.  I believe canucks scored the first goal as well. 

You were ultimately right in that your bias was correct and that Colorado outplayed us in the 3rd and won the game but to say it was never in doubt after watching 2 periods of very competitive hockey where I thought it was a coin flip isn't accurate either. 

• Cheers 1

Silver lining in this stretch is it gives management a lot of leverage in the Pettersson negotiations.  There is no way he is worth anywhere close to 12 million per year if this lasts much longer.  I almost think this play could be a the stress of worrying about that contract.  Sometimes when you gamble you lose.  Maybe he settles for  8.5 million Miller sort of contract and then he can be the good guy and relax and just play.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Vegas was really good last night,, absolute team clinic..   vancouver is still a nice team that will have off nights..  the concern is, our defensive depth is clearly not there ( working on it) and if you ask our very best players to do all the heavy lifting it wont hold up..   miller cannot and should not be the only one on his line banging  hitting and working in the corners.  He is a terrific player but he will wear down quickly…. Its a physical game and we lack size and speed with wingers.   Canucks are not built to be a dump and chase team,, they have more of a carry the puck and pass skill game..  i just hope toch doesnt try too hard trying to make them into something they are not built to be.   We are wearing our skill players out and playing them too much..  petey is obviously hurt as well.   They are better for sure but need to play to their capabilities and skill level.  Cant bang with the big teams.  

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Or some people are objective.  Tocchet had them playing well and they definitely snuck up on teams for the first 15 games, but teams are ready for them now and the coaching staff hasn't adjusted, at all. 

The even strength scoring is almost gone and the PP has cool down........isn't it up to the coaching staff to make those adjustments?  

To me, the negative people are the ones who were oblivious or willfully blind as to what was happening on the ice since the Dallas game and wanted to shout down anyone with a different perspective.

I'm one of the people who's been concerned, but objectively and, I believe, rightly so.  Yet, I stay positive about the players and about their playoff chances. 

The people who are calling others out for bring negative are the ones trashing the actual players because it's now blatantly obvious that the team isn't who they thought they were

Pretty much this.

I don't know that people have been coming out of the woodwork to "troll" or be negative.  It's just that after a loss, or a run of games where the team is W1/L1, it's easier to speak about some of the cracks that have been papered over with the hot start.  It holds less merit, or comes across as more agenda-driven, to point out those flaws when the team is winning.  "Negative for the sake of being negative" is what would be said.  Believe me, I know from experience.

And the last point is pretty much bang on.  People should know what we have in guys like Miller after watching him for five seasons.  I was hearing Selke shouts a couple weeks ago.  Respectfully, they have never belonged in the same sentence and don't belong together this year, either.

People turning on Pettersson when it's pretty obvious he's been playing through something.  Not a coincidence his offence at 5v5 has really slowed down.  That's not down to ability or consistency - just take a look at McDavid now that he's healthy again.

And so on.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AmyTheGma said:

Silver lining in this stretch is it gives management a lot of leverage in the Pettersson negotiations.  There is no way he is worth anywhere close to 12 million per year if this lasts much longer.  I almost think this play could be a the stress of worrying about that contract.  Sometimes when you gamble you lose.  Maybe he settles for  8.5 million Miller sort of contract and then he can be the good guy and relax and just play.  

Thats how I see it too. 

Last time Petey was in a funk like this was the preseason he missed holding out during contract negotiations. 

I thought he learned his lesson but apparently not.

I do hope he signs a worry free contract and goes back to being the toast of the town without worrying about earning his keep after maximizing his dollars. 

Safe to say the PDG experiment should come to an end?? He has achieved far more than expected but he's really suited for bottom 6 crash & bang role.... for the time being, I think it'd help our offense more if we put Garland on 2nd line with JT and Boes!! 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think what your saying has an inherent bias built in. 

If you say they played well for the first 2 periods but you never once felt that the outcome would be any different, it means your bias is clouding what you are actually seeing on the ice.  I believe canucks scored the first goal as well. 

You were ultimately right in that your bias was correct and that Colorado outplayed us in the 3rd and won the game but to say it was never in doubt after watching 2 periods of very competitive hockey where I thought it was a coin flip isn't accurate either. 

Why is there a bias?  They stuck with the Avs, but I never felt that they were doing anything but hanging in there for two periods, then in the third, they were outclassed

A fan is either a true fan of our team and our team only, or they have other teams they cheer for. Hate all others. That’s a fan. Old Alf don’t get those who think they are fans but cheer for other clubs than ours. IMHAO those are sunny day fans. Embrace the hate. Cheer against all other clubs. 15B8420B-D79C-4031-BD26-D0F806A18A91.gif.3534ddd232e2862d3253a67f8edc3a94.gif

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Safe to say the PDG experiment should come to an end?? He has achieved far more than expected but he's really suited for bottom 6 crash & bang role.... for the time being, I think it'd help our offense more if we put Garland on 2nd line with JT and Boes!! 

Don’t think they should mess with that third line. Only line that’s going consistently.

Put Kuzmenko or Hoglander there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Garland is too tiny. He’s a Benning stain that needs to be cleansed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Garland is too tiny. He’s a Benning stain that needs to be cleansed. 

Now that we have our defence (assuming we also sign Bear) can we turn the Garly trade ideas to obtaining a F?

We need another big body in the top 6, Miller is really the only physical player 

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Now that we have our defence (assuming we also sign Bear) can we turn the Garly trade ideas to obtaining a F?

We need another big body in the top 6, Miller is really the only physical player 

Yup. Big, fast, smart, and hard to play against. Hogs can go too. Not smart enough (especially without the puck). 

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm one of the people whose being labeled as "negative". But I'm saying the same thing you are about pk, pp and 5on5 issues. The only difference is I'm pointing these things out during the game, when other people's emotions are high so they get upset easier.

I admit I post less when the team wins or plays well... but lately that's not happening so I guess I'm posting more.

I feel that I'm being very objective. I'm not hating on the team or players because I'm emotionally unstable. I'm pointing out issues I'm seeing, and the same issues are showing up night after night unfixed. Mostly to do with the teams lack of compete and energy in games like last night.

It's also because I believe this team can be, and should be better.

To me it's the folks being blindly positive that seem out of touch. Refusing to acknowledge the issues with this team doesn't make them better fans, and getting upset with posters for being frustrated with poor play lately also doesn't help.

Fact. Canucks are clearly struggling to get back to their winning ways. Their goals for average has plummeted, their pk has plummeted, their pp has plummeted. We are 4-6 in the last 10. 

I think posters have a right to be concerned because we all want playoffs, but are trending quickly in the wrong direction, and the teams chasing us are doing the opposite.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I'm one of the people whose being labeled as "negative". But I'm saying the same thing you are about pk, pp and 5on5 issues. The only difference is I'm pointing these things out during the game, when other people's emotions are high so they get upset easier.

I admit I post less when the team wins or plays well... but lately that's not happening so I guess I'm posting more.

I feel that I'm being very objective. I'm not hating on the team or players because I'm emotionally unstable. I'm pointing out issues I'm seeing, and the same issues are showing up night after night unfixed. Mostly to do with the teams lack of compete and energy in games like last night.

It's also because I believe this team can be, and should be better.

To me it's the folks being blindly positive that seem out of touch. Refusing to acknowledge the issues with this team doesn't make them better fans, and getting upset with posters for being frustrated with poor play lately also doesn't help.

Fact. Canucks are clearly struggling to get back to their winning ways. Their goals for average has plummeted, their pk has plummeted, their pp has plummeted. We are 4-6 in the last 10. 

I think posters have a right to be concerned because we all want playoffs, but are trending quickly in the wrong direction, and the teams chasing us are doing the opposite.

So are the Canucks your only club? If so then being negative if fine. But if you have other clubs you cheer for then (IMHAO) you’re not a true fan. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. Big, fast, smart, and hard to play against.

It will probably have to be another two step process, ditch Garlands cap first? Dunno. Even AZ seems to think they have a wildcard chance now.

Just now, Alflives said:

Hogs can go too. Not smart enough (especially without the puck). 

Careful you may get mobbed for suggesting that 😄

I like his dog on a bone tendencies.