2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

Just now, stawns said:

It's good, but not the years leading up to 2011 good, imo.

I think prospect depth wise it’s arguable better with siloves, tilapia in goal

wolonin, woo, juulsen breezer, Willander, Hirose, mcward, Bruzer 

D petey 

Wingers- Bains, McDonough, klimo, hogz, Podz, Karlsson, Vilmy 

crnter - raty, sassons, (C is thin)

gillis never had ahl depth like this but at nhl level he had incredible depth at D - best 1-6 d corps in nhl - edler, erh off, salo, Bieksa, Hamhuis (just drooling over that top 5 which is literally 5 number 2 d men )…and Ballard 

gillis had Henrik, Kes, Manny - I swear if manny doesn’t get hurt we win the cup but no 4 C

unfact our 4th line was worst in nhl - he made a mistake taking Peter Schafer over Brendan Morrison after both took PTOs- Morrison got picked up by calgary and had a good year 

wood have been perfect 4C for us 

our winger deity organizationally was not good then either 

Just now, canucks curse said:

I think prospect depth wise it’s arguable better with siloves, tilapia in goal

wolonin, woo, juulsen breezer, Willander, Hirose, mcward, Bruzer 

D petey 

Wingers- Bains, McDonough, klimo, hogz, Podz, Karlsson, Vilmy 

crnter - raty, sassons, (C is thin)

gillis never had ahl depth like this but at nhl level he had incredible depth at D - best 1-6 d corps in nhl - edler, erh off, salo, Bieksa, Hamhuis (just drooling over that top 5 which is literally 5 number 2 d men )…and Ballard 

gillis had Henrik, Kes, Manny - I swear if manny doesn’t get hurt we win the cup but no 4 C

unfact our 4th line was worst in nhl - he made a mistake taking Peter Schafer over Brendan Morrison after both took PTOs- Morrison got picked up by calgary and had a good year 

wood have been perfect 4C for us 

our winger deity organizationally was not good then either 

I'm meaning the years in Manitoba leading up to the Gillis run........kesler, burrows, bieksa, Hansen, schneids etc

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm meaning the years in Manitoba leading up to the Gillis run........kesler, burrows, bieksa, Hansen, schneids etc

Fair enough he also had… Tanev, but I think most, but not all were Burke finds - kes, burrows, Schneider, Hansen (?), Tanev was a Gillis find I think I’d have to google 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think the sheer number of nhl potential players in our system has gone from bare bones with JB to really solid - yes we lack some more high end game breakers but I have been very impressed with the pro scouting and amateur scouting 

not to mention a lot of the ahl guys had good years 

colliton seems like a real positive add 

there seems to be top to bottom synergy 

ex - we went out and got exact type of pro and amateur players we need and typically not just 1 

ex - bottom 6 C - Aman, then Bluegger then Suter with Sassons as well 

versatile big physical D with PK experience- Hronek, Cole, Soucy we really need another D man in top 4

pesce rumours seem appropriate 

we needed two way speed and PK wingers- Milky

more skill up front - Kuzy

imo the scouts and GMs have done an awesome job

we need one more D man and there are is some fat to trim off the bloated winger contracts - garland, Pearson left over from Benning era 

• Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Fair enough he also had… Tanev, but I think most, but not all were Burke finds - kes, burrows, Schneider, Hansen (?), Tanev was a Gillis find I think I’d have to google 

That was a Nonis/Burke combo group and the best group to come through the team, imo.  

I love the group they have now and I watched all the Abby games from Dec on......likely will again this year.  That said, I don't see the same high talent depth here, yet.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

That was a Nonis/Burke combo group and the best group to come through the team, imo.  

I love the group they have now and I watched all the Abby games from Dec on......likely will again this year.  That said, I don't see the same high talent depth here, yet.

You're right we're not close to the Moose yet talent wise but it's growing. I think that's what I appreciate about the AHL the most is just watching player development and seeing guys grow into bigger roles. It keeps me interested every year who comes in and surprises you. Big difference I see now is in Utica our player development was muted and didn't have much direction, with our new management there is a laser like focus on development. Something I haven't seen since the Moose days. Which gives me lots of hope for the future.

One could say we have wasted so many draft picks over the years since our team left Manitoba...Chicago Wolves years were the absolute worst, nothing good came out of that program, Utica while having a great hockey team and amazing fans didn't amount to much development wise, the Abby Nucks are sure making those 2 previous AHL installments look like idiots development wise. Glad we're on the right track again and no longer wasting our draft picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You're right we're not close to the Moose yet talent wise but it's growing. I think that's what I appreciate about the AHL the most is just watching player development and seeing guys grow into bigger roles. It keeps me interested every year who comes in and surprises you. Big difference I see now is in Utica our player development was muted and didn't have much direction, with our new management there is a laser like focus on development. Something I haven't seen since the Moose days. Which gives me lots of hope for the future.

One could say we have wasted so many draft picks over the years since our team left Manitoba...Chicago Wolves years were the absolute worst, nothing good came out of that program, Utica while having a great hockey team and amazing fans didn't amount to much development wise, the Abby Nucks are sure making those 2 previous AHL installments look like idiots development wise. Glad we're on the right track again and no longer wasting our draft picks.

Though I understand his motivation, Gillis did a number on the org with his poor drafting, sacrificing youth to go for it and handing out ntc's like candy.

For all the hate JB gets, he found a path out of that desert 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Though I understand his motivation, Gillis did a number on the org with his poor drafting, sacrificing youth to go for it and handing out ntc's like candy.

For all the hate JB gets, he found a path out of that desert 

JB I think drafted some great talent...that much is obvious. But I was always let down with his decisions on how to develop players in the AHL. I feel like we lost out on all that quality he drafted and just let it slide through his hands. At least like you said he got us some huge pieces to build on moving forward and we gotta thank him for that at the very least!

McWard, Mcdonough, Zlodeyev, Klim stood out

Bains and Hirose were solid as expected. Hirose should have a really good chance with the bigs.

I'm cheering for Bains to take another big step this year. He did leaps and bounds from the start of last year. Smart defensive sense, good PK and can put up points, and local kid

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

JB I think drafted some great talent...that much is obvious. But I was always let down with his decisions on how to develop players in the AHL. I feel like we lost out on all that quality he drafted and just let it slide through his hands. At least like you said he got us some huge pieces to build on moving forward and we gotta thank him for that at the very least!

But he was starting from a deep, dark hole and it took a lot to even get to even.  He doesn't get enough credit for where he ended compared to where he started.

Much like Gillis, Allvin gets the shine of someone else's work to build on.  

Great to watch some quality hockey again and a great win. Clearly, we were the more experienced team with some existing chemistry, but still some good players on show. 

Here are some of my observations on players from the game : 

Raty : Some good signs, slick hands, nice vision,  good on the boards, but didn't really blow you away. To be fair his wingers, Bains and Bloom, were really fighting the puck offensively which limited his O-Zone showing. His lack of pace is still noticeable. I can see a whole year in the A unless injuries hit.

McDonnaugh : Great hands and shot for the goal, his tight control was really noticeable and looked the best on the ice in that department. Sadly he also still looks slow and weak on his skates. If he could really improve his skating he would be in NHL for sure. 

KlimOvie : Same as everytime I've watched him - has moments where he looks like a game breaker but then struggles to stitch it all together into a complete error free, consistent performance. Still young and lots of promise for the future - if he can take another step and dominate in the A this year he's got everchange of making the Canucks. 

Brzustewicz : First time seeing the kid.  Skates well and all around defends well for a smaller guy. Has a bright future.

Plasek : Great IQ and Vision - a clearly smart player. His lack of physical assets likely limits his career. 

Sasson : Also really good IQ and Vision - good all rounder, I could see him having a career as a tweener for sure. 

Hirose / McWard : Both looked a class above - clearly the extra experience helped a lot there.  At worst call ups this year i think. 

Johannson : Rery nice vision and shot, but like the playoffs last year his almost complete lack of physical strength means he won't play in the NHL - i can see why Mini moved on from him. Similar trajectory to Rathbone. 

Hopefully, that doesn't all sound to harsh after a demolishing of the flames, just trying to provide a balanced view of what in reality are largely lower round draft picks or college free agents. 

Finally, i do like the direction here - great to get off to a convincing winning start and like that we appear to be building an group identity on the farm this year. Lets see how it helps support the big club as we move forward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

But he was starting from a deep, dark hole and it took a lot to even get to even.  He doesn't get enough credit for where he ended compared to where he started.

Much like Gillis, Allvin gets the shine of someone else's work to build on.  

OMG This new forum isn't going to turn into the Benning redemption tour is it?

"deep dark hole"?  lol. 

He had a bevy of Stanley Cup finalist players to trade for foundational pieces to begin a much needed rebuild of a "stale" team.  (more creative GMs find ways around NTC's) With Gillis's additions of a young Tanev and Horvat already in the mix.

JB had two first round picks Gillis set him up with.  (Lazy Jake was his first pick, and McCann, who he promptly gave up on and traded for Gudbranson) Forsling in the fifth round could have been a steal, but JB in his wisdumb also gave up on and immediately traded away.

Demko.  Yes a good choice.

Next draft Boeser was a good choice. 

Note..both those players were scouted and recommended by the rising amateur scout exec Brackett as he specialized in the American East Leagues where he followed them.

Brackett would be raised to Chief Amateur scout under rec of Linden.....who was promptly fired.

And when the talented Brackett who was here before JB, was showing up his boss too much when he pushed for Petey vs Glass, JB's choice, and it worked out, he was also fired for the flimsy excuse of wanting to have a say in who he hires and fires of his own staff. Minnesota, as of last year, has now the highest rated prospect pool in the league after three years with Brackett.

Hughes was a no brainer. and a good choice.

Hogs and Podz are no longer considered shoe ins.

For 8 years of a GM touted as a drafting guru that's pretty sparse. He traded away half of his first and seconds for washed up has beens for some deluded dream of squeeking into the playoffs and going on a miracle run...f..k the future.

Then there's the development of the players from lower rounds he did get. A pretty pathetic job there.

Then there's the free agent history with JB I won't get into. The cap hits and term hits for 'foundational' pieces that went through the club like a revolving door.

His coaching hires.

Benning was a greedy coward who was happy to entertain the whims of an arrogant owner who thought he knew how best to build an instant contender.

Yes....in eight years he landed a few good men. That's par at best. News flash....other teams also added young stars to their rosters during that time. I will give thanks to Benning for not screwing up totally and giving us Demko, Petey, Hughes and Miller. I am truly thankful for them.  Its just that there were so so many other screw ups and lost opportunities, that to rate Benning, on balance, for eight years of work, he's a C- at best. It was a long slog, and he left the cupboards completely bare on the farm. Talk about leaving a dark hole. JR and PA have done a remarkable job to where we are now more mid pack in ratings for our farm up from the bottom where we dwelt for pretty much all of Bennings term.  So glad we are rid of that dumb pos.

Who all is in Penticton right now this weekend for the games?
With the forum closing down I'd like to invite everyone to my bar tonight for a drink.

I can be found at The Hub on Martin bartending from 8 pm to 3 am.

https://www.thehubonmartin.com/

We serve food until 11 pm and live music starts at 9 pm.  Cover is $10 at the door and all proceeds go to the band.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Filip Johannson had a missile of a shot, didn't get to catch the Calgary game. He look good to anyone's eye? My guess is he'll be at main camp, that's what I really want to see. 23 years old, so you want to see what he looks like at the big boys camp. Alriksson is intriguing too. Really happy he committed to the CHL. From being a head scratching pick to a possible steal if he develops decently well. Size, good skater. I say this every time we get new prospects. But they're always exciting to watch and have positive hopes about their development.