2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

Yeah didn't come out in the 3rd. Either thought they had it won or had one eye on tomorrow. Still not really acceptable given this is the Canucks M.O. 

Also the Refs were absolute dogs**t in the 3rd - total 'game management' helped the poor looking Jet with all the first round talent back into the game.

Tough to make measured assessments given the last part of the game... they did play them off the ice through 2 tho so here goes. 

Raty - looks all around tidy, while not spectacular again - sure he will have a NHL career, i think its weather its 4C or higher at this point.  Looks like a year in the A tho to be sure. 

Klimovie - the shootout kinda sums up this kids game - tries to galaxy hands almost every play and sometimes looks like a rock star - but often looks like a liability.  Still young hopefully he can develop. 

Kudryastev is developing great - i can see him being a promising D prospect. 

Hirose - was one who noticeably ran outta gas - but everything he did oozed class through the first 2 - be shocked if he didn't make the squad this year at least. 

McDonnagh - Same as first game - class hands and a bullet of a shot, but still a bit slow and sometimes the game passes him by. If he really commits this year i think he could make the NHL, his raw skill is very nice. 

Butchsweizchesex ( i wish we would draft players with simpler names lol) - Looks very cool and has a great tool box. For a first-year prospect he looked on par with the much more developed D out there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Eddie said:

Yeah didn't come out in the 3rd. Either thought they had it won or had one eye on tomorrow. Still not really acceptable given this is the Canucks M.O. 

Also the Refs were absolute dogs**t in the 3rd - total 'game management' helped the poor looking Jet with all the first round talent back into the game.

Tough to make measured assessments given the last part of the game... they did play them off the ice through 2 tho so here goes. 

Raty - looks all around tidy, while not spectacular again - sure he will have a NHL career, i think its weather its 4C or higher at this point.  Looks like a year in the A tho to be sure. 

Klimovie - the shootout kinda sums up this kids game - tries to galaxy hands almost every play and sometimes looks like a rock star - but often looks like a liability.  Still young hopefully he can develop. 

Kudryastev is developing great - i can see him being a promising D prospect. 

Hirose - was one who noticeably ran outta gas - but everything he did oozed class through the first 2 - be shocked if he didn't make the squad this year at least. 

McDonnagh - Same as first game - class hands and a bullet of a shot, but still a bit slow and sometimes the game passes him by. If he really commits this year i think he could make the NHL, his raw skill is very nice. 

Butchsweizchesex ( i wish we would draft players with simpler names lol) - Looks very cool and has a great tool box. For a first-year prospect he looked on par with the much more developed D out there. 

Yes I saw that too 

Game Management for sure.

W's are just a bonus. The players are trying to showcase themselves and the coaches are assessing. They should get a better idea of where guys are at in a tight game like this than in a blowout win. A little adversity is good for them.

I don't like soft calls to even up for obvious penalties though. To me it takes away from the integrity of the game. Okay, I was chuckling when I typed that last bit.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Great game.  Good for the kids to face adversity after the game against Calgary. 

Raty & Bains showed great chemistry as they seemed to find each other all game.  Raty's vision really showed this game with slick passes, he's also a big boy, loved seeing the rough stuff from him and Bains, they backed each other up all game.  Klim was quieter today but still had a couple good looks, great backcheck to catch 2 players in OT, he looks faster this year, more engaged.  McDonough looks like he can score in the big leagues and may benefit from more structure/more skilled players to play with.  Sasson, just plain works hard and smart, had some nice plays with McDonough, took most of the defensive draws, can't seem to put my finger on who he reminds me of.  Didn't get to see much of the rest of the roster with all the special teams.

Felt the defense had a tougher game against the Jets vs the Flames.  Quite a few rookie mistakes but man can they all move the puck and skate.  Would love to see Johansson paired with Hirose as they looked good together last game.  Johansson seems like he'll also benefit from more structure/skilled players, he doesn't seem much of a distributor, more complementary offense, but he has good size and made few mistakes, would be great if we can unlock that canon of his.  In saying that, happy to follow the defense groups development this season, don't think we've had a defense prospect crop with this much talent in it.

Tough break for Young.  He looked overwhelmed when the Jets started to push back and they found holes in him quickly.  I liked Tolopilo's structure more, his movements seem more efficient, he looks bigger in net, though it is a small sample size and I feel they played better defensively for Tolopilo, never mind the run support he got.  Better goaltending and we win this one.  Jets got great goaltending and were able to climb back in.  Disappointing we lost but not a big deal.

Boys will be hungry to make up for this one.  Bring on the Oilers.

Well young is 6'3 -- 19 now -- 26 shots today in 3-2 loss

Tolopilo 6'6 age 24 - so several more year experience and only really had 1 difficult shot Friday on 13 shots

Don't read much into performance of Tolopilo with 13 shots.. Ty Young is one of the better goalies in CHL even got invite to Canadian JR U20 team this summer..  Young is 5 years younger ..

You are deciding better goalie on one game with structure etc..You are so wrong..Very very small sample ..Rediculous to even talk like this..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Did I miss O/T or the last minute? My friend gave me a call at the final minute of the 3rd. 

Lol I thought you did that on purpose. The shoot out was hard to watch. Klim had a reeeaaallll awkward shoot out 😂 thought you wanted to forget it…I know I do!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1