2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

Well took the foot off the gas and we deserved that loss. They weren't the better team but they just caught us sleeping and we can't do that. 

I was surprised by how un interested Barlow looked he looked Boeser esque he was a spectator most of the game then gets the tieing goal and pots one in the SO. Goal scorer's gonna score and obviously he knows how to be in the right place at the right time. Another guy was Lambert just a turn over machine so much skill no brains. Chaz Lucious looked huge He's gotta be 6'3 standing next to Alriksson he wasn't much shorter.   McClennon was a royal pain in the arse he pushed the emvelope too far and took the 4 minute penalty but on the flip side he seemed to be the reason the jets woke up. Chibrikov is electric w the puck pretty meh without it. 

On our side loved Hunter and Hirose though every time Hunter rushed the puck and his speed impressed me Ford was there to staple him and make him pay physically for every puck carry. Bains was by far our best fwd. Alriksson and Raty seemed to draw a ton of attention I was really impressed with Alrikssons poise he used his size well and didn't get suckered in. Klim and McDonough didn't do much. Kudrusteyev looked solid and played a young Tanev esque game. 

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

Well young is 6'3 -- 19 now -- 26 shots today in 3-2 loss

Tolopilo 6'6 age 24 - so several more year experience and only really had 1 difficult shot Friday on 13 shots

Don't read much into performance of Tolopilo with 13 shots.. Ty Young is one of the better goalies in CHL even got invite to Canadian JR U20 team this summer..  Young is 5 years younger ..

You are deciding better goalie on one game with structure etc..You are so wrong..Very very small sample ..Rediculous to even talk like this..

I mentioned in my post that it was a small sample size as well and said what I liked about what I saw from Tolopilo.  I did not once say I didn't like Young.  Him being 5 years younger makes sense, as I said, he looked overwhelmed when the Jets pushed back in the 3rd and there a holes to his game he needs to shore up, like every player in this tournament.

I think it's ridiculous to jump to conclusions based on one game and one of my posts.  Relax, again as I said, not a big deal they lost.  More so about seeing where the kids are in their development.  I made a similar comment about the defense but you didn't choose to defend them.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

I mentioned in my post that it was a small sample size as well and said what I liked about what I saw from Tolopilo.  I did not once say I didn't like Young.  Him being 5 years younger makes sense, as I said, he looked overwhelmed when the Jets pushed back in the 3rd and there a holes to his game he needs to shore up, like every player in this tournament.

I think it's ridiculous to jump to conclusions based on one game and one of my posts.  Relax, again as I said, not a big deal they lost.  More so about seeing where the kids are in their development.  I made a similar comment about the defense but you didn't choose to defend them.

You can't expect 23 guy to get together and look good..They might of had 2 practices together..

Should I say anymore??? Think about it????? These players don't play together? Power play -- PP -- PK _ reg lines

only 2 practices..This is not a team all individuals.

What are you. expecting at these games?????

Don't judge anyone ...Judege the players when there back playing in a team situation...

This is just a 3 game Young Star Tourney..OMG

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

It's time to rest the guys who stood out (Hirose, Raty).  We have so many players on our roster trying out.  Those two have nothing left to prove against prospects.  They should focus on making the main team, which is a distinct possibility.

Agreed, Hirose, Raty, Bains, McDonough, Johansson, and McWard should all sit IMO. They're locks for Abby with an outside chance at the Canucks. 

7 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Great game.  Good for the kids to face adversity after the game against Calgary. 

Raty & Bains showed great chemistry as they seemed to find each other all game.  Raty's vision really showed this game with slick passes, he's also a big boy, loved seeing the rough stuff from him and Bains, they backed each other up all game.  Klim was quieter today but still had a couple good looks, great backcheck to catch 2 players in OT, he looks faster this year, more engaged.  McDonough looks like he can score in the big leagues and may benefit from more structure/more skilled players to play with.  Sasson, just plain works hard and smart, had some nice plays with McDonough, took most of the defensive draws, can't seem to put my finger on who he reminds me of.  Didn't get to see much of the rest of the roster with all the special teams.

Felt the defense had a tougher game against the Jets vs the Flames.  Quite a few rookie mistakes but man can they all move the puck and skate.  Would love to see Johansson paired with Hirose as they looked good together last game.  Johansson seems like he'll also benefit from more structure/skilled players, he doesn't seem much of a distributor, more complementary offense, but he has good size and made few mistakes, would be great if we can unlock that canon of his.  In saying that, happy to follow the defense groups development this season, don't think we've had a defense prospect crop with this much talent in it.

Tough break for Young.  He looked overwhelmed when the Jets started to push back and they found holes in him quickly.  I liked Tolopilo's structure more, his movements seem more efficient, he looks bigger in net, though it is a small sample size and I feel they played better defensively for Tolopilo, never mind the run support he got.  Better goaltending and we win this one.  Jets got great goaltending and were able to climb back in.  Disappointing we lost but not a big deal.

Boys will be hungry to make up for this one.  Bring on the Oilers.

Great comments. (At least I have pretty much the same read.)

Focusing on just the skaters, the Canucks dominated both games overall, even with a disappointing 3rd  period against Winnipeg. 

Of course, the most impressive guys for the Canucks are some of the older guys out there, including Hirose (24), McDonough (turns 24 in Nov), Sasson (just turned 23), Bains (22), McWard (22), and Tolopilo (23). And Johansson is 23.  Having some older prospects is a natural consequence of the Canucks having rebuilt their prospect pipeline largely with "freebies" -- with undrafted or unsigned free agents.  This is not a criticism, as I think JR and Alvin have done a good job with the hand they were dealt. It is just a slight caution about how we interpret what we see.

I really like Raty. He is only 20 and I think he looked great in both games. He was good on both the PK and  PP. He has good size and seems to have very good all-round skills. The "knock" on him is supposed to be skating but I read that he made quite a lot of progress this summer and his skating certainly fine at this level of competition. 

Looking forward to seeing a lot of these guys in Abby this year. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Great comments. (At least I have pretty much the same read.)

Focusing on just the skaters, the Canucks dominated both games overall, even with a disappointing 3rd  period against Winnipeg. 

Of course, the most impressive guys for the Canucks are some of the older guys out there, including Hirose (24), McDonough (turns 24 in Nov), Sasson (just turned 23), Bains (22), McWard (22), and Tolopilo (23). And Johansson is 23.  Having some older prospects is a natural consequence of the Canucks having rebuilt their prospect pipeline largely with "freebies" -- with undrafted or unsigned free agents.  This is not a criticism, as I think JR and Alvin have done a good job with the hand they were dealt. It is just a slight caution about how we interpret what we see.

I really like Raty. He is only 20 and I think he looked great in both games. He was good on both the PK and  PP. He has good size and seems to have very good all-round skills. The "knock" on him is supposed to be skating but I read that he made quite a lot of progress this summer and his skating certainly fine at this level of competition. 

Looking forward to seeing a lot of these guys in Abby this year. 

Agreed. Gotta say even though it was somewhat expected for the Canucks older prospects to have the edge this weekend it felt good to actually see them do it, instead of playing ‘down’ to the opponents. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Some images and takeaways from yesterdays game

Klimovich.  Engaged, but genuinely a non factor on the score sheet or offense.  Defensively sound though.

Gatcomb.  Pest everywhere.  Drew a beauty penalty and was visible most places on the ice.

McDonough.  Stood out for the right reasons.  Looked like a vet

Brusteweicz.  Wanted him as early as last year, super intelligent looking on the ice.  Genuinely stood out well didn't make many mistakes

Raty.  Slickest little no look pass to set up the 2nd goal.  Was one of the smartest players on the ice for both teams

Maillet.  Smart on the dot when used and a quick stick

Alrikssen.  He's so damned big but got lost and was caught looking more than engaging.  Needs to read the play better and not just stand there waiting for the puck

Mynio.  Defensively sound.  Didn't stand out at all but that's not a bad thing

Bains.  Looks and acts a bit like young burrows without the swagger but needs to tighten up the post whistle stuff to be more effective

image.thumb.jpeg.451cd8afbf13a56d1be7b4c4cb6ad1ea.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a6e0e2d62502f2ed991a8c0fce4cc9e8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4b5167c1a2120719c4852cb235aa40cf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b81810371d4e135be250537888d101bf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.922d23e79fe6c96677d9490f69ae0459.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eba37ee7ed99e412d4a50ad60a0ed6d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.06b3e4c656df73106506cd1bbc97666d.jpeg

Great shots, dude!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Some images and takeaways from yesterdays game

Klimovich.  Engaged, but genuinely a non factor on the score sheet or offense.  Defensively sound though.

Gatcomb.  Pest everywhere.  Drew a beauty penalty and was visible most places on the ice.

McDonough.  Stood out for the right reasons.  Looked like a vet

Brusteweicz.  Wanted him as early as last year, super intelligent looking on the ice.  Genuinely stood out well didn't make many mistakes

Raty.  Slickest little no look pass to set up the 2nd goal.  Was one of the smartest players on the ice for both teams

Maillet.  Smart on the dot when used and a quick stick

Alrikssen.  He's so damned big but got lost and was caught looking more than engaging.  Needs to read the play better and not just stand there waiting for the puck

Mynio.  Defensively sound.  Didn't stand out at all but that's not a bad thing

Bains.  Looks and acts a bit like young burrows without the swagger but needs to tighten up the post whistle stuff to be more effective

image.thumb.jpeg.451cd8afbf13a56d1be7b4c4cb6ad1ea.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a6e0e2d62502f2ed991a8c0fce4cc9e8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4b5167c1a2120719c4852cb235aa40cf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b81810371d4e135be250537888d101bf.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.922d23e79fe6c96677d9490f69ae0459.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eba37ee7ed99e412d4a50ad60a0ed6d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.06b3e4c656df73106506cd1bbc97666d.jpeg

These are awesome photos, especially the 1v1 showdown between Hirose and Milic. Thanks for sharing! 

Any comments on Sasson or McWard?

I'd really like to see a Bains - Raty - Klimovich line this afternoon, even if the wingers aren't necessarily on their strongest sides (believe Klim has been playing LW). You're right - rewatched the whole stream this morning and Raty looked so poised when in possession. I think he could get Klim the puck in dangerous spaces.

38 minutes ago, Guile said:

These are awesome photos, especially the 1v1 showdown between Hirose and Milic. Thanks for sharing! 

Any comments on Sasson or McWard?

I'd really like to see a Bains - Raty - Klimovich line this afternoon, even if the wingers aren't necessarily on their strongest sides (believe Klim has been playing LW). You're right - rewatched the whole stream this morning and Raty looked so poised when in possession. I think he could get Klim the puck in dangerous spaces.

The only time I noticed Mc Ward was when his jersey was in front of my camera. I don't have anything good or bad to say about him. Sasson was definitely engaged and in the play as much as possible but his pot control was truly questionable at times. He caught it up and bobbled it a number of times, that could be a tributed to the ice surface but it is hard to say

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1