2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

WIll really depend on if he can outcompete Irwin and Wolanen as the main competitors for the last D spot. He might just make the NHL straight up. Wolanen was pretty insane in the AHL though; however, Hirose might have a stronger defensive game.

That's a good call - I was thrown off by Hirose playing RD today, but I double checked and he's a lefty. I actually think you're right, Wolanin wins 3LD out of camp and Hirose starts top four in Abbotsford. Irwin probably makes sense as 7th or 8th D staying on the NHL roster. Wouldn't be surprised if Hirose plays well enough this year to make Wolanin halfways redundant before the start of the 2024 season. Hughes and Soucy seem fairly locked in as our top two LD for the next three years, but 3LD is up for grabs.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Guile said:

That's a good call - I was thrown off by Hirose playing RD today, but I double checked and he's a lefty. I actually think you're right, Wolanin wins 3LD out of camp and Hirose starts top four in Abbotsford. Irwin probably makes sense as 7th or 8th D staying on the NHL roster. Wouldn't be surprised if Hirose plays well enough this year to make Wolanin halfways redundant before the start of the 2024 season. Hughes and Soucy seem fairly locked in as our top two LD for the next three years, but 3LD is up for grabs.

Great points.  I like Wolanin too and he has size but he and Rathbone could get leaped by Hirose.  All of a sudden our d depth is looking better than it has in a decade and this is all without mentioning Willander.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

WIll really depend on if he can outcompete Irwin and Wolanen as the main competitors for the last D spot. He might just make the NHL straight up. Wolanen was pretty insane in the AHL though; however, Hirose might have a stronger defensive game.

Hirose is waiver exempt so keeping him up rather then Wolanen could weigh into it, and his composure is NHL ready stuff for the defensive side. See him playing on 3rd pairing with Myers to balance the size disadvantage he may have, plus giving the Chaos Giraffe a calming defensive partner.

Beating out Irwin for opening night would be a challenge though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Guile said:

Yep, beauty. Hirose in for a full year in Abby (or at least until TDL) and then 3LD afterwards, perhaps? So smart.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

One thing that won't happen is Hirose on the big team as 7th man. Obviously he needs to play. And it would be good to seem him get a lot of PP time and PK time as he has potential in both areas. That factor pushes in favor of him starting in Abby.

I think it is between Hirose and Wolanin for the 3LD spot on Vancouver and Irwin will likely be 7th man.  Between Hirose and Wolanin it will just depend on who looks better in preseason. Right now, I would bet on Wolanin but if Hirose can outplay Wolanin, that would be impressive.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

One thing that won't happen is Hirose on the big team as 7th man. Obviously he needs to play. And it would be good to seem him get a lot of PP time and PK time as he has potential in both areas. That factor pushes in favor of him starting in Abby.

I think it is between Hirose and Wolanin for the 3LD spot on Vancouver and Irwin will likely be 7th man.  Between Hirose and Wolanin it will just depend on who looks better in preseason. Right now, I would bet on Wolanin but if Hirose can outplay Wolanin, that would be impressive.

Agreed. It's very likely that Irwin gets the #7 spot since he's so tailor made for that role. The winner between Hirose and Wolanin probably gets 3LD and the loser gets a 1st pairing job in Abby with either Woo or Rathbone I guess.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Don't forget about Beezer  -  of all the young LHD's he's the most Tanev-like in demeanour and composure, and showed well in his few games last season with Myers

He'll be claimed if waived

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Don't forget about Beezer  -  of all the young LHD's he's the most Tanev-like in demeanour and composure, and showed well in his few games last season with Myers

He'll be claimed if waived

Plus he's the best of the bunch on the PK.