2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

18 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Any way to watch the game for those of us that work for a living? 

Yeah go to the youtube page of the opponent.  They kept the whole game.  Not sure if the Oilers are posting the games either though

Edited by BCNeil

Great series by Hirose who got better and better, McD whose shot was unreal and McWard. No surprise they had some NHL games last year and should get a lot more next year.

McWard and Willander coming through gives us somw real class on the right said. Everyone hyping up Woo and Johansson but I think McWard might be the best of the bunch, he's big and strong, good offensive IQ and a heck of a wrister.

As soon as Myers is out of here in a year, it'd be nice to give a bottom pairing spot to someone like McWard.

When injuries hit though, you know McWard or McD will get called up. I think Hirose starts.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Great series by Hirose who got better and better, McD whose shot was unreal and McWard. No surprise they had some NHL games last year and should get a lot more next year.

McWard and Willander coming through gives us somw real class on the right said. Everyone hyping up Woo and Johansson but I think McWard might be the best of the bunch, he's big and strong, good offensive IQ and a heck of a wrister.

As soon as Myers is out of here in a year, it'd be nice to give a bottom pairing spot to someone like McWard.

When injuries hit though, you know McWard or McD will get called up. I think Hirose starts.

Great post - it's really exciting to see the list of young D below and realize it excludes D Petey and Willander, who should be the best of the bunch. Do you think Hirose makes the NHL starting line-up over Wolanin? I'm not arguing either way - I think either have a great shot at it. Might come down to waiver-eligibility for the purpose of roster management, and Hirose is exempt. He could also hugely benefit from the weekend-heavy, weekday-light AHL schedule for off-ice training in his first year as a pro. 

Woo, Johansson, and McWard may be the staring three RD in Abby this year, depending on if Noah Juulsen makes the NHL roster out of camp as 7/8 D. I'd suggest the order I've put them in is the current depth ranking as well, especially since Woo had a very strong end to the year and a good playoffs. However, I think you're right that McWard will excel this year and surpass Johansson. I may need to watch the two Young Stars games that Johansson played in again, but I thought McWard was *less* noticeable in the D zone for all the right reasons. Johansson seemed to have more hesitation moving the puck. McWard just seems calm with the puck and his quick stick defensively stood out as well.

Speaking of Abby D, I just realized how fun it'll be to watch their development this year. It's full of youngish defensemen who all have a small but legitimate chance of playing NHL games in one of the next two years as an injury call-up.

Assuming Wolanin, Irwin + Juulsen are with Vancouver as 3LD and 7/8 D respectively:

Rathbone - Woo

Brisebois - Johansson

Hirose - McWard

In my mind, there's not a clear "best" pairing here; I think Brisebois is the steadiest defensive D of the bunch so I've put him with Johansson, who I feel (after two rookie tournament games, lol, talk about small sample size) may need some extra coverage from a conservative partner. Rathbone - Woo have familiarity but Hirose - McWard could outplay them in certain games due to how smart they both appear.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Guile said:

Assuming Wolanin, Irwin + Juulsen are with Vancouver as 3LD and 7/8 D respectively:

Rathbone - Woo

Brisebois - Johansson

Hirose - McWard

In my mind, there's not a clear "best" pairing here; I think Brisebois is the steadiest defensive D of the bunch so I've put him with Johansson, who I feel (after two rookie tournament games, lol, talk about small sample size) may need some extra coverage from a conservative partner. Rathbone - Woo have familiarity but Hirose - McWard could outplay them in certain games due to how smart they both appear.

Brisebois wouldn't clear waivers.  Irwin, much older and less in demand, would, I think

I think waiver exempt status will shape a lot of our starting roster (eg, I wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin and Hoglander start the season in Abby - after 1 more NHL game Hoglander loses exempt status)

Edited by Googlie

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Brisebois wouldn't clear waivers.  Irwin, much older and less in demand, would, I think

I think waiver exempt status will shape a lot of our starting roster (eg, I wouldn't be surprised to see Podkolzin and Hoglander start the season in Abby - after 1 more NHL game Hoglander loses exempt status)

Totally agreed, I think I said the same about waiver status earlier in a prior post. The recent Pearson trade might make a few of those decisions slightly less challenging, since I believe we can have a compliant 23-man roster without starting Hogs and/or Podz (and burying another vet) in Abby now. But, it might make sense anyway. 

Two questions, since I know you watched a ton of Abby games last year.

I'm with you on Irwin being a safe waive, but do you really think Breezer is in enough demand to be concerned about a claim? I'd be concerned about losing Wolanin on waivers, but Brisebois just feels (unsubstantiated by stats) like a fairly standard, good AHL defenceman, similar to any number of other AHL/NHL tweeners around the league. Not arguing, genuinely curious. 

Hogs and Podz. Hypothetical scenario where one stays in NHL, one goes to AHL - who's your pick? I'd probably take Hogs on the big club based on his offensive success last year. I LOVE Vasily and have high hopes that he becomes an excellent third line winger in a season or two, but I think he would benefit more than Hoglander from more AHL top-six and powerplay minutes. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Guile said:

Totally agreed, I think I said the same about waiver status earlier in a prior post. The recent Pearson trade might make a few of those decisions slightly less challenging, since I believe we can have a compliant 23-man roster without starting Hogs and/or Podz (and burying another vet) in Abby now. But, it might make sense anyway. 

Two questions, since I know you watched a ton of Abby games last year.

I'm with you on Irwin being a safe waive, but do you really think Breezer is in enough demand to be concerned about a claim? I'd be concerned about losing Wolanin on waivers, but Brisebois just feels (unsubstantiated by stats) like a fairly standard, good AHL defenceman, similar to any number of other AHL/NHL tweeners around the league. Not arguing, genuinely curious. 

Hogs and Podz. Hypothetical scenario where one stays in NHL, one goes to AHL - who's your pick? I'd probably take Hogs on the big club based on his offensive success last year. I LOVE Vasily and have high hopes that he becomes an excellent third line winger in a season or two, but I think he would benefit more than Hoglander from more AHL top-six and powerplay minutes. Thoughts?

I forgot that Beezers 2 year contract has a full one-way clause for the second year .... that may dissuade a team from claiming him off waivers.

Here's a nice write-up when he signed the extension ...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-reward-brisebois-for-perseverance-with-two-year-extension/

But I agree, based on his body of work in Abby, I think Wolanin has passed Beezer on the LHD depth chart.  I guess with Wolanin, Brisebois and Rathbone all now being waiver eligible we could possibly lose one or 2 when assigning to Abby - but that's no different from many other teams pruning their rosters so perhaps the risk is minimal of losing any.

I hope Tocchet gives the Swedish House Mafia a look during the exhibition season -  Aman between Hoglander and Karlsson was money in the bank for the few games they were together in Abbotsford. (Interestingly Capfriendly isnt showing Hogz as being waiver-exempt .. I understood he had 1 more game before he loses it.   See:  https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts/canucks).  For sure Aman and Karlsson wil be sent down plus, I'm  betting, Podz, unless he blows RT's socks off in camp.

Pearson's trade has certainly alleviated the winger logjam somewhat, but we still have too many chasing too few spots.  And as we can't assign Poolman to LTIR until opening game puckdrop, we still might have to start the season a man short to be cap compliant (barring further trades)

I got my tickets for the Oct 31st game between Abby and Coachella - US$74 - only a handful left in a 10,300 arena!!  I guess there are a lot of Canucks supporters who winter in the desert (although the Firebirds season ticket base is over 7000).. I went to a couple of their playoff games against Calgary ... great atmosphere 

• Like 1