2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Filip Johannson had a missile of a shot, didn't get to catch the Calgary game. He look good to anyone's eye? My guess is he'll be at main camp, that's what I really want to see. 23 years old, so you want to see what he looks like at the big boys camp. Alriksson is intriguing too. Really happy he committed to the CHL. From being a head scratching pick to a possible steal if he develops decently well. Size, good skater. I say this every time we get new prospects. But they're always exciting to watch and have positive hopes about their development.

Yup, solid game for FJ.  I thought he was probably their best dman last night, but it was a quiet game for all the D last night.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

But he was starting from a deep, dark hole and it took a lot to even get to even.  He doesn't get enough credit for where he ended compared to where he started.

Much like Gillis, Allvin gets the shine of someone else's work to build on.  

Yeah he definitely was lol. It took over 3 years to see any prospects of his make the team. There was literally nothing at the start in Utica, the team was made up of older canuck property players/fringe nhlers and a bunch of echl fodder to fill the holes.

Where I started getting let down was after year 3 when his prospects finally started coming in. They got minimal playing time and were left in the dark it seems. It just seemed like Benning thought they would show up to the team and figure it all out themselves. That’s when Ryan Johnson stepped in and started working with the kids. Once he arrived I started to see development in the young kids on the team.

I’m probably being too harsh as well, NY is a million miles away from the main club do I could only imagine the challenges and hurdles that involved to try and keep your prospect pipeline growing.

Anyways love that we have our farm club close now. It will only do good for our young guys.

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Nonis gets a lot of flak when he shouldn't. He fixed the major issue with the Canucks by getting Luongo. He even stood up to ownership, on not making a bad trade with Tampa.

Why do you think he hasn’t gotten another GM job? Seems weird with all the recycled guys around the league that he hasn’t gotten another shot.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Why do you think he hasn’t gotten another GM job? Seems weird with all the recycled guys around the league that he hasn’t gotten another shot.

Actually he was senior VP and head of hockey operations in Toronto from December, 2008. January 2013 he was GM of the Leafs until April of 2015.

He was a consultant for Anaheim as of July 2015. He was promoted to Assistant GM in 2019, then let go in February 2022, when Pat Verbeek took over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Nonis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Great to watch some quality hockey again and a great win. Clearly, we were the more experienced team with some existing chemistry, but still some good players on show. 

Here are some of my observations on players from the game : 

Raty : Some good signs, slick hands, nice vision,  good on the boards, but didn't really blow you away. To be fair his wingers, Bains and Bloom, were really fighting the puck offensively which limited his O-Zone showing. His lack of pace is still noticeable. I can see a whole year in the A unless injuries hit.

McDonnaugh : Great hands and shot for the goal, his tight control was really noticeable and looked the best on the ice in that department. Sadly he also still looks slow and weak on his skates. If he could really improve his skating he would be in NHL for sure. 

KlimOvie : Same as everytime I've watched him - has moments where he looks like a game breaker but then struggles to stitch it all together into a complete error free, consistent performance. Still young and lots of promise for the future - if he can take another step and dominate in the A this year he's got everchange of making the Canucks. 

Brzustewicz : First time seeing the kid.  Skates well and all around defends well for a smaller guy. Has a bright future.

Plasek : Great IQ and Vision - a clearly smart player. His lack of physical assets likely limits his career. 

Sasson : Also really good IQ and Vision - good all rounder, I could see him having a career as a tweener for sure. 

Hirose / McWard : Both looked a class above - clearly the extra experience helped a lot there.  At worst call ups this year i think. 

Johannson : Rery nice vision and shot, but like the playoffs last year his almost complete lack of physical strength means he won't play in the NHL - i can see why Mini moved on from him. Similar trajectory to Rathbone. 

Hopefully, that doesn't all sound to harsh after a demolishing of the flames, just trying to provide a balanced view of what in reality are largely lower round draft picks or college free agents. 

Finally, i do like the direction here - great to get off to a convincing winning start and like that we appear to be building an group identity on the farm this year. Lets see how it helps support the big club as we move forward. 

Interesting comment from Danila - it’s harder to play against the young players. They run around without a system so you can’t predict where they are going.

From me - that’s exactly what it looked like yesterday. Young Canucks played system and young Flames were running around.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Interesting comment from Danila - it’s harder to play against the young players. They run around without a system so you can’t predict where they are going.

From me - that’s exactly what it looked like yesterday. Young Canucks played system and young Flames were running around.

It's like poker.  Sometimes its harder to play against people that suck.  Good players are at least predictable. 

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Great to watch some quality hockey again and a great win. Clearly, we were the more experienced team with some existing chemistry, but still some good players on show. 

Here are some of my observations on players from the game : 

Raty : Some good signs, slick hands, nice vision,  good on the boards, but didn't really blow you away. To be fair his wingers, Bains and Bloom, were really fighting the puck offensively which limited his O-Zone showing. His lack of pace is still noticeable. I can see a whole year in the A unless injuries hit.

McDonnaugh : Great hands and shot for the goal, his tight control was really noticeable and looked the best on the ice in that department. Sadly he also still looks slow and weak on his skates. If he could really improve his skating he would be in NHL for sure. 

KlimOvie : Same as everytime I've watched him - has moments where he looks like a game breaker but then struggles to stitch it all together into a complete error free, consistent performance. Still young and lots of promise for the future - if he can take another step and dominate in the A this year he's got everchange of making the Canucks. 

Brzustewicz : First time seeing the kid.  Skates well and all around defends well for a smaller guy. Has a bright future.

Plasek : Great IQ and Vision - a clearly smart player. His lack of physical assets likely limits his career. 

Sasson : Also really good IQ and Vision - good all rounder, I could see him having a career as a tweener for sure. 

Hirose / McWard : Both looked a class above - clearly the extra experience helped a lot there.  At worst call ups this year i think. 

Johannson : Rery nice vision and shot, but like the playoffs last year his almost complete lack of physical strength means he won't play in the NHL - i can see why Mini moved on from him. Similar trajectory to Rathbone. 

Hopefully, that doesn't all sound to harsh after a demolishing of the flames, just trying to provide a balanced view of what in reality are largely lower round draft picks or college free agents. 

Finally, i do like the direction here - great to get off to a convincing winning start and like that we appear to be building an group identity on the farm this year. Lets see how it helps support the big club as we move forward. 

I agree with assessment. What were your thoughts on Marc Gatcomb? 

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Who all is in Penticton right now this weekend for the games?
With the forum closing down I'd like to invite everyone to my bar tonight for a drink.

I can be found at The Hub on Martin bartending from 8 pm to 3 am.

https://www.thehubonmartin.com/

We serve food until 11 pm and live music starts at 9 pm.  Cover is $10 at the door and all proceeds go to the band.

I'll come visit you one day and I won't bring up politics 😉

4 hours ago, PickleCanuck said:

Oh how I miss my Jensen,Schroeder and Shinkaruk. Atleast I'm better at noticing talent and skills now and not pumping every prospects tires...

I definitely at one point was pumping the tires of all three of those players. Thought without a doubt they would be good nhl players. Lol I really used to back shinkaruk. Argued til I was blue in the face that he was going places. Turns out the places he was going was home. 

I definitely don't put much stock into the young stars tournament anymore. It just gives me an idea of who is up to speed and who is falling behind. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, stawns said:

Yup, solid game for FJ.  I thought he was probably their best dman last night, but it was a quiet game for all the D last night.

I'm pulling for Johansson.., he moved the puck well and his goal was a rocket. He did get stuck out there too long and lost his check which led to the Calgary goal though. Truth be told, Hirose, McWard and Hunter all looked good throughout the game. One of them is going to have to elevate their game and REALLY stand out from the pack to get an opportunity to crack the Canucks roster.  

Add those guys to the AHL regulars: Wolanin, Rathbone, Woo, Juulsen, Brisbois  (perhaps Irwin) and we almost start to get a logjam of quality prospects in Abby. That's without D-Petey, Willander, Kurdryavtsev, Jurmo and Truscott coming in the next season or 2. The future is starting to look bright for our Defensive depth. IMO   

Edited by Blitz-Pix