2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

Jess

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I think we're seeing what good coaching finally looks like in the AHL. I really really like Jeremy Colliton. He just has a way to get the best out of any team he is handed. I do not want to see him walk from this organization.

Both Travis Green and Trent Cull were very similar coaching wise, the concepts barely changed all those years in Utica. I thought they did good with what they were given but they both had a hard time getting the young kids to buy in and get more ice time...i'm not sure what the problem was there. But then a coach like Colliton comes in and gets these kids up to speed quick and they all are playing some amazing hockey for how young they are. It's a big difference!

I agree. I also believe the move from Utica to Abby has done wonders for prospect development. The focus has changed to developing our own prospects and picks. I believe in Utica we shared the team (Comets) with St. Louis? or another NHL team. Being so close to the big club and it's support staff, coaching, skating, Ian Clark and so on has helped IMO. The Sedins getting involved in prospect development has helped immensely.      

28 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Alriksson man with his reach, size, and mobility make a very imposing forechecker.

If he can piece all that raw skill together with his body type, he could be a player. Showing well so far.

25 minutes ago, Bane said:

Aatu Raty is looking great, makes a smart decision with puck almost every time he has possession. 

Not a big surprise, but Raty, Hirose, and Bains have looked very good. And, Alriksson looks intriguing. Could be a great find late in the draft.

Klim and Sasson have also been good.  Canucks are dominating again and unlucky to be only one goal ahead at this stage.

Brzustewicz has not looked as good today with a few misplays in his own end.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Truefan99 said:

Anyone remember our saviour Prab Rai lol 

I don't recall him being our savior lol. In fact he was a major let down, I remember seeing him in pre season thinking he'll never make it. Too soft. That's what his main issue was. Weak on the puck, shyed away from contact in the corners.

Not the same player IMO if that's the comparison you're trying to make. If you're referring to him and Bains being comparable.

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I agree. I also believe the move from Utica to Abby has done wonders for prospect development. The focus has changed to developing our own prospects and picks. I believe in Utica we shared the team (Comets) with St. Louis? or another NHL team. Being so close to the big club and it's support staff, coaching, skating, Ian Clark and so on has helped IMO. The Sedins getting involved in prospect development has helped immensely.      

We only shared with St Louis during the covid season because the Blues AHL team did not participate that year.

It was tough development wise having a team in NY state that's for sure tho.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, SISMIM said:

That’s what I suspect too. Seems like our team is doing better on details/structure and also consistency of energy/effort. That stuff screams good coaching.

I’ve been really impressed with Colliton since day one of his hiring. He’s really an NHL quality coach and we’re lucky to have him on the farm. 

He really is an NHL quality coach. Even his seasons in Chicago he kept that team above water and it was a tire fire over there because of the Beach situation. He was put in as a lame duck coach and no one ever gave him much to succeed while he was there. Glad their loss is our gain...just gotta get creative to keep him. As I think he's only signed till end of this season.

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Ouch... The only thing they share is cultural background.  Tell me if I'm wrong, but I recall Prad being one of the first of full Indian heritage to make it pros.  Other than that, there is no comparing their skill level.  Bains is lightyears ahead.

Prab felt like a gratuitous draft pick, Bains is a very good low level trade acquisition I think.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was worried being closer to home was going to screw up player development. Clearly it's the opposite. I'm glad to be proven wrong.

I definitely had the same worries. I was wrong too lol. It's been an amazing journey so far. I plan to travel south this season and try to make it to a few Abby games. My dad lives in Fort Langley.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1