[Article] Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss

RWJC

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

My question is if the organization did an about face and decided to keep CDC running how many people would go back?

I'd go back if Ribs advices us to. It must be a lot of work, and now they don't have the same type of support (I assume) as they did before. If keeping this up isn't realistic and CDC comes crawling back, I'd take that as a win. It shows we could rally together and save something we all so clearly cared about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well they obviously don't think much of these fans.

Quoted: We're all full of "negative messaging and even some stuff that they consider racist".

Obviously some people there have been targeting cdc a long time I think.

I bet a lot of disgruntled banned members made those complaints. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Hate to say it but I don’t blame the org for deciding time was up. They funded and operated a message board that, in today’s day and age, could be considered gatekeeping some very unfavourable speech and perspectives. It’s not their responsibility to be having to harbour or defend that and is so much safer to simply cut ties with it.

What I had hoped is that there could be some compromise. Unfortunately I would expect that would involve some of the favoured board areas (eg. Off-topic section) being removed so as to limit any liability. 

Regardless, there’s a respectful level of freedom of speech here already. Change happens…sometimes it’s far better to accept that and then make the most of it. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, RWJC said:

Hate to say it but I don’t blame the org for deciding time was up. They funded and operated a message board that, in today’s day and age, could be considered gatekeeping some very unfavourable speech and perspectives. It’s not their responsibility to be having to harbour or defend that and is so much safer to simply cut ties with it.

What I had hoped is that there could be some compromise. Unfortunately I would expect that would involve some of the favoured board areas (eg. Off-topic section) being removed so as to limit any liability. 

Regardless, there’s a respectful level of freedom of speech here already. Change happens…sometimes it’s far better to accept that and then make the most of it. 

Some extreme views were connected to the club simply by them being the ones who sponsored the site. But why not keep the hockey part of CDC going and do away with all the off topic stuff? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Well they obviously don't think much of these fans.

Quoted: We're all full of "negative messaging and even some stuff that they consider racist".

Obviously some people there have been targeting cdc a long time I think.

They should know that its not about if some newby dick on a message board...any message board.....will try some racist slur, That will happen anywhere.

its about how the admins and moderators deal with it and how quickly. And from my time at CDC, nothing like that lasted more than a few minutes before the post and sometimes the member, was removed.  So that excuse is total BS

I was going to ask if anyone that was in contact with the CDC site asked them nicely if they would at the very least...maybe for the first month or so...keep the menu item for the message board but that it simply had a link to this site.  The could even put up a disclaimer that they are not affiliated with it in any way. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/24/2023 at 11:04 AM, DeNiro said:

My question is if the organization did an about face and decided to keep CDC running how many people would go back?

Not me. I prefer a fan run site, like this one, as opposed to one that is monitored and possibly censored by tge team. This is my new home.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:39 PM, RWJC said:

approx. 40-48”  directly above the truck nuts 

image.jpeg.5aef7c17a774e442226640b13994e62a.jpeg

Oh god I effing hated those lol.

I was raised in a red neck northern bc town and there were a bunch of guys around town that started throwing those in their hitches…definitely a certain type of character thinks those are cool.

I’m cool with camo and lots of other red neck things…but that’s just out right trashy lol

Thanks for the trip down memory lane lol

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2