[Article] Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss

RWJC

39 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I know I don’t!

By the way, on that note, there are definitely members who will put the ass in "class" (and "crass") in that forum's final days.  I haven't decided yet to what extent (or even if) I will continue to participate in that.  On a scale of "zero" to "goatse.cx man", I'm more naturally inclined to be closer to the side of "zero" but it really depends on what @VegasCanuck reports back from his discussions with team brass.  I'm unlikely to go full "goatse.cx man", but stranger things have happened. 🤷‍♂️

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, nzan said:

I read a bunch of Twitter folks laughing at CDC recalling how they haven't been there since they were teenagers, and it was so crappy cause everyone was so toxic and how they loved to always be in there trolling.

I was like - oh yeah, it became way better and more mature when you all left to do this same toxic crap on Twitter.

Oh well - I expect this place will be even better! Here's to the future...

My biggest regret about all of this is losing my lng and distinguished ignore list.  A veritable "who's who" of CDC villains

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, nzan said:

I read a bunch of Twitter folks laughing at CDC recalling how they haven't been there since they were teenagers, and it was so crappy cause everyone was so toxic and how they loved to always be in there trolling.

I was like - oh yeah, it became way better and more mature when you all left to do this same toxic crap on Twitter.

Oh well - I expect this place will be even better! Here's to the future...

thats about the depth of analysis I'd expect on crap heap formerly known as twitter. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/16/2023 at 6:58 PM, RWJC said:

Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss

"It really kept me in the loop and I feel like I'm going to be lost without it now…. Kind of a shocking day," said one fan.

IMG_8847.webp.b4e3e9384697e6f2f7352dc100c626f4.webp

Published Sep 16, 2023  • Last Updated 2 hours ago  

It was about giving the fans a voice and that’s what made it so incredibly powerful. It created an online community around the brand,” Kinghorn told Postmedia.

Creating a space for fans to interact was good for the Canucks’ business, he believed. There had been smaller, niche spaces like Usenet newsgroups before, but what Canucks.com came to offer was a central hub. There was some moderation in place, mostly administered by the users themselves, and commentary of all sorts, positive or negative, critical or surface-level cheerleading — all of it welcomed.

“We always looked at it as a place for the fans, managed by the fans. What was really important was we gave people a place to communicate about the team. It was very hands off,” he added.

“It was really just about fan-building.”...............

..........................At times, senior team executives would push to shut down the message boards because they’d come across a thread critical of the team,...............

..................With the rise of Twitter, Youtube and Reddit, the CDC forums have declined in prominence, but for years it was the only outlet for fans to gather online..............................

I edited the article to make it easier for me to respond................

The whole idea behind forums in general is to bring together those of like mind regarding the subject matter. I'm sure we all agree on that. As Klinghorn mentioned above, ".............It created an online community around the brand,........"  That in a nutshell, is what it's all about.

In any forum, there's always those who will critique the brand/product. It's part and partial to the whole aspect of, if you will, free speech. I mean like...........We're by and large, Canadians, yes? Not to diss anyone, but being such. Well.......we love hockey and we love our home team; whatever team that may be. 

With the huge popularity of mobile media, I certainly sensed the death knell of online sites such as forums because of apps and such mentioned above. That being said...............however one chooses to follow our beloved Canucks, more power to ya"! However, I choose a forum. This one. In short................

We're Canuck fans. We love 'em to death! Good or bad. By and large, if they suck, you still wanna see 'em win, Yes? Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” I dunno who said this. But it sounds good don't it! I'm soooo excited for the new season to start!

Go Canucks Go.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm going to approach this discussion as a choice for the team. They have treated the forum as the ugly stepchild. 

There are 100,000+ registered users of the forum and they could easily have over 500k or even 1 million if they engaged it instead.

If they want to engage, the Canucks could become a league wide blueprint on fan community building, engagement and empowerment. I've watched the NHL for years, make what I think are some questionable decisions around marketing. They are often stuck in thought processes that are rooted in the 70's and not the 21st century.

I find the idea of throwing away a part of your structure that would allow you to communicate with 100,000 registered users, ludicrous! It's an immediate degradation of team valuation, and it's crazy that no one in management sees that.

If they'd engaged they'd have made CDC the go-to for Canucks fans

Not HF, not reddit, their own board

The other places would still exist but the search of news or engagement would have driven more CDC traffic 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

I edited the article to make it easier for me to respond................

The whole idea behind forums in general is to bring together those of like mind regarding the subject matter. I'm sure we all agree on that. As Klinghorn mentioned above, ".............It created an online community around the brand,........"  That in a nutshell, is what it's all about.

In any forum, there's always those who will critique the brand/product. It's part and partial to the whole aspect of, if you will, free speech. I mean like...........We're by and large, Canadians, yes? Not to diss anyone, but being such. Well.......we love hockey and we love our home team; whatever team that may be. 

With the huge popularity of mobile media, I certainly sensed the death knell of online sites such as forums because of apps and such mentioned above. That being said...............however one chooses to follow our beloved Canucks, more power to ya"! However, I choose a forum. This one. In short................

We're Canuck fans. We love 'em to death! Good or bad. By and large, if they suck, you still wanna see 'em win, Yes? Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.” I dunno who said this. But it sounds good don't it! I'm soooo excited for the new season to start!

Go Canucks Go.

I don't think forums are dying, they've just changed, sports fans and other kinds of fanbases will always look for somewhere to gather 

They've just evolved and changes from what they were in the 90's, 2000's, 2010's

Discord, Facebook groups, other socials, they have a place now as well though, no question 

There's room for different models too, CDC is more personalized than the reddit model for example 

Edited by Coconuts

Here's the thing.  We do lament the loss.  Then we did lament the loss.  Now we've moved on.

Management and ownership need to start realizing that moving on for this fan base is a real possibility if this mediocrity and complete ignorance and neglect of the fan base continues.

Obviously CDC was watched by media AND management.  It had some genuinely brilliant hockey minds who have now moved on to here.  Canucks just lost a great amount of intelligence and a source for the heartbeat of the fan base within their own front yard.

That information and those statistics are now gone.  Much like so many amazing conversations and information will be gone as of Oct 1st.

Smart move Aquaman

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1