[Article] Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss

RWJC

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-new-vp-communications-community-loring-phinney

The Vancouver Canucks have made a key addition off the ice.

The team announced Loring Phinney as their new vice president of communications and community today. It’s a similar role that Chris Brumwell held until June 2022 and was vacant for the past season.

Phinney will lead the communications and community engagement teams and reports to Canucks president of business operations Michael Doyle.

“Loring will work collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team to enhance how we communicate with our internal and external stakeholders while reinforcing the significant role we play as part of our broader community,” the Canucks announced in a media release.

EDIT: This is from Sept. 6 2023

Edited by RWMc1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-new-vp-communications-community-loring-phinney

The Vancouver Canucks have made a key addition off the ice.

The team announced Loring Phinney as their new vice president of communications and community today. It’s a similar role that Chris Brumwell held until June 2022 and was vacant for the past season.

Phinney will lead the communications and community engagement teams and reports to Canucks president of business operations Michael Doyle.

“Loring will work collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team to enhance how we communicate with our internal and external stakeholders while reinforcing the significant role we play as part of our broader community,” the Canucks announced in a media release.

Would be pretty crazy to make such a drastic decision two weeks into the job, but who knows.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Would be pretty crazy to make such a drastic decision two weeks into the job, but who knows.

reports to Canucks president of business operations Michael Doyle.

“Loring will work collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team

It's more likely that the decision was already made.

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

reports to Canucks president of business operations Michael Doyle.

“Loring will work collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team

It's more likely that the decision was already made.

Yeah, probably the case.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I thought about changing my user name to Vintage or Oldnews...  😄

Oh man, could you imagine somebody finally beating Vintage....to Vintage

Edited by nzan
  • Haha 1

I think ownership and management are very thin-skinned now.

Frankie's Family Court topics did not sit well with him.

JR's personal issues were also aired and his handling of beloved Bruce "There it is" Boudreau was horrible and he got beaten up pretty good there.

I personally, and many of us here, attacked the local idiot media types many of which work(ed) for Rogers SportsNet.

It goes on; but now they have even less control over the general public's publicly-posted opinions, so they haven't really done themselves any favours.

Sometimes you get what you deserve out of life, and in this case, ownership and management might finally realize that, karma is a bitch.

All said though, this new site is GREAT!  Thank you very much. And, GO CANUCKS GO!!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Well, that wasn't really a huge issue when I was admin there. If it was because of that, I think I'd know. I'll post more when I've had more time to think, but I believe control is the main driver.

I'd be surprised if the majority of traffic to the Canucks site wasn't forum-related. They may gain some control, but it seems like they're going to lose a lot of direct engagement. And if the wave of registrations continues here, this site will have more traffic than the official site and they're effectively losing control. Feels short-sighted, but since other teams don't have official fan forums either, it must make some sense from a business perspective. 

7 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Well, that wasn't really a huge issue when I was admin there. If it was because of that, I think I'd know. I'll post more when I've had more time to think, but I believe control is the main driver.

I didn't know you were a mod there.

I thought the board did a good job of allowing us to discuss sensitive things without letting it get out of control. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I appreciate the efforts of @VegasCanuck and others. But honestly, it's not that bad that we've been released from the shackles of CDC.

This site is just fine. And it keeps growing. Ownership is basically shooting themselves in the foot. I would not be surprised if it's a directive from the NHL to

eventually close all team message boards. It just so happens CDC was one of the most popular ones.

If we can figure a way to get funds going to Ribs to help pay for everything that's great. As I stated I'm even ok if Ribs makes a profit off of the site.

Ownership and the NHL says no to message boards. So be it. This community might wind up being smaller but just as active.

I just hope Vintage isn't trapped in the Matrix.

To me I don't see any noticeable difference. Site looks the same, functions the same. The biggest thing is to somehow get all the users, especially the infrequent ones, transplanted to the new site. Then it would be like nothing is different except the URL. That's my biggest worry is that some users will fail to ever realize there is a new site that's exactly the same.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If we can figure a way to get funds going to Ribs to help pay for everything that's great. As I stated I'm even ok if Ribs makes a profit off of the site

This, a nominal annual fee is just fine and if Ribs can eventually make some profits, good on him. An annual fee may also have the side benefit of keeping the riff raff away. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• RWJC changed the title to [Article] Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss
4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

CDC wasn't the thing.

We were the thing.

We put the roof on top this bitch.

We decide what the Canucks future will be. 

We are the buying public, we are the bosses

We, the fans.

Without us, the Canucks dont exist. Without us CDC was an empty room.

This brass is attempting control. Going toe to toe with the hand that feeds.

Don't forget your worth fellow fans.

The Canucks are ours, they were with the last 'owner' and they will be with the next. 

^ this.

I don't know how the business model works to keep something like this going, is 1,000 regular users enough ad revenue? it would be nice if this could be self-sustaining based on the regulars. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I appreciate the efforts of @VegasCanuck and others. But honestly, it's not that bad that we've been released from the shackles of CDC.

This site is just fine. And it keeps growing. Ownership is basically shooting themselves in the foot. I would not be surprised if it's a directive from the NHL to

eventually close all team message boards. It just so happens CDC was one of the most popular ones.

If we can figure a way to get funds going to Ribs to help pay for everything that's great. As I stated I'm even ok if Ribs makes a profit off of the site.

Ownership and the NHL says no to message boards. So be it. This community might wind up being smaller but just as active.

I just hope Vintage isn't trapped in the Matrix.

Agreed.......we're here and we're clear.

As a season ticket holder.  Season ticket holders don't renew for the following reasons.  The teams performance over the last decade and if they can resell extra tickets and at least break even.  I know lots of season ticket members.  I don't know any that dropped their tickets, because of racism on CDC.  

1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

As a season ticket holder.  Season ticket holders don't renew for the following reasons.  The teams performance over the last decade and if they can resell extra tickets and at least break even.  I know lots of season ticket members.  I don't know any that dropped their tickets, because of racism on CDC.  

ie. out of touch management is out of touch.  😶‍🌫️

• Thanks 1