[Article] Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss

RWJC

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Well put and I don't want to disrespect anything built by @Ribs either. If the net result is, we all wind up here, great!

If we all wind up here but with a much stronger relationship and communication bridge to the team? Even better.

No problem with this. But now that they've pulled the trigger, I really wouldn't want to see us go back. Hate to keep quoting old sayings, but I'll give one more and that's "once bitten, twice shy". 

Edited by Crash The Crease
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Mr. E. man's grandchild here: as someone who always has problems with social media, i think Ribs did an incredible job with the UI (user interface) of this site and I'm super impressed, instagram and reddit better be taking notes, cause those sites are so annoying.  🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr. E. Man said:

I think Ribs has done an awesome job setting this site up.I have no problem paying a reasonable yearly fee to support it. I won't be going back to CDC even if they back track and reinstate it.

Yup, me either. I say screw the old forum. This was all about the great posters here. This is the future! It would be a total mistake to go back but I'am sure we don't have to worry about that anyway.

• Cheers 3

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not going to stop being critical of the team if I believe they deserve it, I refuse to try and put a positive spin on everything, sometimes there are reasons to criticize or be "negative"

Here's the thing ... and I'm not saying this is you at all ... I'm speaking in general here ...

The problem is when a person is just chronically negative, at times toxically negative, negative all the time, and can never acknowledge the positives, it overshadows and devalues their criticism (even if it's warranted and justified).

There's a big difference between being critical and being negative.

No one's expecting anyone to put positive spins on anything but it is important to acknowledge the positives and see the positives when they occur.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Here's the thing ... and I'm not saying this is you at all ... I'm speaking in general here ...

The problem is when a person is just chronically negative, at times toxically negative, negative all the time, and can never acknowledge the positives, it overshadows and devalues their criticism (even if it's warranted and justified).

No one's expecting anyone to put positive spins on anything but it is important to acknowledge the positives and see the positives when they occur.

Upon this we can agree, there is room for varying forms of feedback

It just seems the Canucks have been trying to mitigate critical and more negative feedback, which is a shame 

There is always going to be a wide range of opinions and views amongst the fanbase, the media, and so on, things like shutting down a fan forum and controlling which media have access to the team or channeling their messages through in house media present as a desire to grab control of narratives 

It's a futile effort, boards like reddit, HF, and others are beyond their reach, other socials like twitter/x and so on are as well

Varying feedback exists throughout all of it, it did on CDC, and likely will here as well 

If the Canucks are shutting down CDC in part because of discussions, views, and so that they don't like that's a shame because those things will always be present one way or another 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The problem is, who is the authority on what is fine criticism? CDC was very hard on the team, yes. But why wouldn't we be? What has the team done in 10 years to make us ultra positive. Being critical of the team is our right as fans especially when the team has been as bad as it has been with no real light at the end of the tunnel. Obviously racism and threats and what not are not okay, but that wasn't a huge deal on CDC that I noticed. The negativity on CDC was in line with how poorly the team was playing. It wasn't nearly as bad as the garbage I read on Twitter or what I see on Reddit.

Sounds like subterfuge to shift blame onto us for CDC shutting down. Like them saying CDC was negatively effecting season ticket holders. Which might be the dumbest thing I heard in a long while. CDC shutting down will probably work out better for us in the long run anyway. A lot of us have no problems donating to keep the new forum going. And being unofficial our topics can be whatever we want them to be. Of course, the mods here are incredible so it won't devolve into Reddit/Twitter hate filled garbage. But having the freedom to critique the team is huge. Freedom of speech has to mean something. Not to get super dramatic. But if they're trying to censor criticism, well yeah. Not ideal for a discussion board.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The problem is, who is the authority on what is fine criticism? CDC was very hard on the team, yes. But why wouldn't we be? What has the team done in 10 years to make us ultra positive. Being critical of the team is our right as fans especially when the team has been as bad as it has been with no real light at the end of the tunnel. Obviously racism and threats and what not are not okay, but that wasn't a huge deal on CDC that I noticed. The negativity on CDC was in line with how poorly the team was playing. It wasn't nearly as bad as the garbage I read on Twitter or what I see on Reddit.

Sounds like subterfuge to shift blame onto us for CDC shutting down. Like them saying CDC was negatively effecting season ticket holders. Which might be the dumbest thing I heard in a long while. CDC shutting down will probably work out better for us in the long run anyway. A lot of us have no problems donating to keep the new forum going. And being unofficial our topics can be whatever we want them to be. Of course, the mods here are incredible so it won't devolve into Reddit/Twitter hate filled garbage. But having the freedom to critique the team is huge. Freedom of speech has to mean something. Not to get super dramatic. But if they're trying to censor criticism, well yeah. Not ideal for a discussion board.

I'm saying this ... and this only ... and stand by this 100%.

"The problem is when a person is just chronically negative, at times toxically negative, negative all the time, and can never acknowledge the positives, it overshadows and devalues their criticism (even if it's warranted and justified).

There's a big difference between being critical and being negative."

You either get it or you don't. We all make choices. You do you.

As far as CDC shutting down, I feel the same as everyone else does. Not blaming anyone other than the Canucks for completely missing the mark with fans and how much CDC meant to people beyond the team and game itself.

• Cheers 1