[Article] Canucks: Team shuts down popular website fan forums, fans lament the loss

RWJC

So if we are no longer CDC

Are we now FC ?   (ForumCanucks)

Maybe that former acronym is now poison but it would be a bit of a lark to the canucks.com management if we took it with us.  😁

I did an url search and canucksdotcom.com is available.

there is even available canucksdotcom.hockey

or even canucksdot.com 

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Maybe that former acronym is now poison but it would be a bit of a lark to the canucks.com management if we took it with us.  😁

or even canucksdot.com 

If I recall ForumCanucks is temporary. Stealth said it'll "likely" become CanucksFanForum at some point. Not sure if that's still the plan.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

or even canucksdot.com 

Canucksdot.com ahahha

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

A reason they stated for the closure was that CDC was racist? I responded in CDC:

Racism?! 

Kariya, Park, Malhotra,  Brash, Gino, now Woo and Hirose. Carter, Weekes, Bailey, Etam, Chatfield, Archibald. And if Lafayette made that shot!?!? Or if Bains scores a cup winner in the playoffs, he'll rule the Scott Road festivals. All have been commented on according to their merit not their colour, from what I've seen anyway. Dorrie was a possible target, but again all comments were above board and not about her gender. 

(Alf is the only one who stands out, but we can all generally agree that he needs very much help.)

They need to walk this back. We are not a racist team. We haven't railroaded anyone out of town because of race. Ask Bear.

(I literally have no clue where they could derive racism from our discussions.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

A reason they stated for the closure was that CDC was racist? I responded in CDC:

Racism?! 

Kariya, Park, Malhotra,  Brash, Gino, now Woo and Hirose. Carter, Weekes, Bailey, Etam, Chatfield, Archibald. And if Lafayette made that shot!?!? Or if Bains scores a cup winner in the playoffs, he'll rule the Scott Road festivals. All have been commented on according to their merit not their colour, from what I've seen anyway. Dorrie was a possible target, but again all comments were above board and not about her gender. 

(Alf is the only one who stands out, but we can all generally agree that he needs very much help.)

They need to walk this back. We are not a racist team. We haven't railroaded anyone out of town because of race. Ask Bear.

(I literally have no clue where they could derive racism from our discussions.)

wait, what? who the hell said that?

43 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

wait, what? who the hell said that?

In Vega's assessment and consultations with head offices. His most recent post about CDC closure.

Quote Vegas:

"Generally, this is action of shutting down the forum is coming from Marketing as they only see about 500 fans actively posting every month. I've addressed that in a follow up email to them which I'll post shortly."

"Some of the concerns that they have within the organization is the amount of negative messaging and even some stuff that they consider racist. This has been creating negative feedback and issues within the season ticket base as well as their advertiser community.I told him that there was always going to be some of that, but that the moderators within this board do an excellent job overall of policing that as do some of the other fans at calling out people who are pushing over a line."

(I'm really scratching my head over that racism one though)

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

In Vega's assessment and consultations with head offices. His most recent post about CDC closure.

Quote Vegas:

"Generally, this is action of shutting down the forum is coming from Marketing as they only see about 500 fans actively posting every month. I've addressed that in a follow up email to them which I'll post shortly. 

Some of the concerns that they have within the organization is the amount of negative messaging and even some stuff that they consider racist. This has been creating negative feedback and issues within the season ticket base as well as their advertiser community.I told him that there was always going to be some of that, but that the moderators within this board do an excellent job overall of policing that as do some of the other fans at calling out people who are pushing over a line."

I see that they left out that the forum often dealt with these types quickly, and the mods never let that stuff go. Its really an insult to our awesome mod group. 

So if I understand this then, they are shutting down CDC, to drive us to their twitter and insta feeds? like that cesspool is free of racism and other -isms? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm saying this ... and this only ... and stand by this 100%.

"The problem is when a person is just chronically negative, at times toxically negative, negative all the time, and can never acknowledge the positives, it overshadows and devalues their criticism (even if it's warranted and justified).

There's a big difference between being critical and being negative."

You either get it or you don't. We all make choices. You do you.

As far as CDC shutting down, I feel the same as everyone else does. Not blaming anyone other than the Canucks for completely missing the mark with fans and how much CDC meant to people beyond the team and game itself.

100% agree with this! It’s an issue with the media, a portion of the fan base and just in general (inc social media). I don’t know what’s happened / changed over the years, but a large portion of people / society just seem to be wired this way these days sadly! I agree that there is def a difference. 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

100% agree with this! It’s an issue with the media, a portion of the fan base and just in general (inc social media). I don’t know what’s happened / changed over the years, but a large portion of people / society just seem to be wired this way these days sadly! I agree that there is def a difference. 

I'm still wondering if it was the small faction of CDC users that kept harping on "Sell the team!" That was the straw that broke the camels back. That if that really got under Aqua's skin.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kilgore said:

or even canucksdot.com 

FCDC, got it.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So if I understand this then, they are shutting down CDC, to drive us to their twitter and insta feeds? like that cesspool is free of racism and other -isms? 

The nice thing about Twitter and Insta is you can simply ignore all the comments and and generate bot-driven growth reports to give to your advertisers.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm still wondering if it was the small faction of CDC users that kept harping on "Sell the team!" That was the straw that broke the camels back. That if that really got under Aqua's skin.

That and all the hockey scandals recently, especially Chicago getting a pass. Bettman and his covert things everywhere, draft stuff, and Canada being shut out for so long, how is that possible? Refereeing controversies, including game calls and then league suspensions. We were forced to stand up for ourselves because our media rarely did/does.

To win it all we will have our backs against the wall, again.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah, you never know! People get tired of things after a while, especially when negative and / or toxic. Not saying that’s the case, but I think we all have our limits with that type of stuff. 

• Cheers 1

Not sure why the owner wouldn't get some heat from this fanbase for how he's been running the team over the past decade. Of course, the fans will come into the official forum to express their opinions, both good and bad. 

If he wanted all platitudes, then win. People get divided and take sides about the GMs and whatnot. The direction is being guided by up top and in many cases, moves were likely made by the real GM at the top.

Edited by Dank

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

@Ribs has there been any discussion of linking things like Vanbase or other merch providers to this site? I'd purchase new stuff via a link like that to support this site. 

Haven't even considered that yet tbh

• Cheers 4