25 days of Canuckmas

Coconuts

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i've never met dan in smithers but i know his parents. we go to the same church.  i played ball against his dad.

became friends with jim and joe watson and their whole family. they used to bring players and coaches of the flyers, to smithers.

i summer before i got there, they brought bobby orr with them. my first summer there, they brought fred shero. he held a coaches clinic and afterwards,

we went and shared some dirty pops at the bar.

Thanks for sharing, Joe, always appreciate your stories

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

On the 2nd day of Canuckmas my memory gave to me.....

Dougie had a 52 pt season in 82. 

IMG_3120.jpeg

And a hat trick in the playoffs one year as a Canuck.  One of the most underrecognized / unfairly forgotten defensemen in Canucks history.  He was really good with the Kings as well.

• Cheers 4

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

On the second day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Jocelyn Guevremont 1972-1975

I guess I'll just say two things about Guevremont most Canucks fans don't know.  One is that he was on the 1972 Canada team in the Summit Series against Russia, selected over some terrific players for that roster.  The second is that he scored over 50 points as a rookie defenseman with the Canucks, I think in the Canucks' second season.  This would have become the NHL record for rookie defensemen and wasn't only because Dale Tallon had himself set a new record with the Canucks the previous year (breaking Bobby Orr's record, which Guevremont did also).

Hell of a player and, like Doug Halward above, a Canucks defenseman that should be more recognized than he is.  Some old school dudes did some legendary stuff that slips beneath the waves, especially those 70s guys.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Well I haven't seen the list of players but I know Dec. 3 is Doug Lidster day...

Another sorely underappreciated defenseman from Canucks history and one of the forgotten captains (was one of the "tri caps" with Trevor Linden and Dan Quinn).  His 63 point season stood as the Canuck record for decades.  A very strong candidate for the Ring of Honour if you ask me but nobody did...

Seeing him raise the Stanley Cup was the only redeeming quality about the outcome of Game 7 in 1994.  The Canucks had cast him off after a great career and he then went on to win two cups in New York and Dallas.  Here he is doing his Paul Coffey impression against the Canucks in the 1994 final...

We could have really used him doing that to Mike Richter instead.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Defenceman Brent Sopel, acquired at the trading deadline from the Los Angeles Kings for added depth, was ruled out of Game 1 on Wednesday against the Dallas Stars due to back spasms.

The Canucks instead will use another journeyman, the often under-rated Rory Fitzpatrick, who was second on the team in plus-minus ratings during the National Hockey League regular season. Fitzpatrick was plus-12 for goals scored at even strength when he was on the ice.

Fitzpatrick will be partnered with Lukas Krajicek until Sopel's back improves. Canucks coach Alain Vigneault made light of the situation following the morning skate, saying hurt his back Tuesday when bending over at home to pick up a cracker.

"We hope it won't be long," Vigneault said about Sopel's absence.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/canucks-lose-sopel-for-game-1/article1073677/

• Cheers 1

On the third day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Pat Quinn 1971-1972
Larry Bolonchuk 1973
Bob Dailey 1974-1977
Lars Lindgren 1979-1981
Garth Butcher 1982
Joe McDonnell 1982
Anders Eldebrink 1983
Michel Petit 1983-1984
Doug Lidster 1985-1993
Bret Hedican 1994-1999
Brent Sopel 1999-2004
Doug Bodger 2000
Keith Carney 2006
Kevin Bieksa 2007-2015
Brogan Rafferty 2019
Jack Rathbone 2021-2023

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

On the third day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Garth Butcher 1982

Well since you're actually including Garth Butcher's brief use of #3 as opposed to #5...I suppose it's worth mentioning that he wore that #3 making his debut in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final in 1982.  He had played something like 5 games in the regular season and the Canucks began the playoffs without arguably their top two defensemen (Lanz and McCarthy) and didn't have either for the entire playoffs.  People forget what a great achievement 1982 was given that the Canucks were already minus two defensemen who both might have been the #2 guy on the Islanders dynasty.  Imagine if the 1994 Canucks had done it without Lumme and Brown for the entire playoffs, or the 2011 Canucks without Bieksa and Edler...all playoffs from the first game to the last.

Anyway Butcher was so far down the depth chart as a rookie that he still didn't crack the playoff roster until it was time to throw everything at the wall for game 4.  Butcher by the way had been part of the legendary 1982 Canada World Juniors team.

So quite a year for young Garth.  Undefeated gold at the World Juniors and then cutting his teeth in a trial by fire in the Stanley Cup Final against Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier.

And who was named best forward of the tournament at the 1982 World Juniors?  A guy from Finland called Petri Skriko.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1

Dashing to the rink

Our team is gonna slay
O'er Cambie bridge we go
Laughing all the way
My cowbell will ring
We're gonna win tonight (tomorrow)
Other teams won't act so tough
Or Zadorov they will fight 

OH....

Jingle bells

Vegas Smells

Oilers laid an egg

Bandwagon has lost a wheel

But Miller's here to stay!

Hey

Jingle bells

Devils smell

Wild will lay an egg (against us)

Hurricanes will lose that game

As we leap over Vegas.

Please Santa? 

405397972_10160665954080549_265623573351

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Dashing to the rink

Our team is gonna slay
O'er Cambie bridge we go
Laughing all the way
My cowbell will ring
We're gonna win tonight (tomorrow)
Other teams won't act so tough
Or Zadorov they will fight 

OH....

Jingle bells

Vegas Smells

Oilers laid an egg

Bandwagon has lost a wheel

But Miller's here to stay!

Hey

Jingle bells

Devils smell

Wild will lay an egg (against us)

Hurricanes will lose that game

As we leap over Vegas.

Please Santa? 

405397972_10160665954080549_265623573351

So... uh... what position do these play, and why aren't they wearing Canucks sweater #4?  :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 1

On the fourth day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Barry Wilkins 1971-1975
Ab DeMarco 1975-1976
Mike Walton 1976-1978
Randy Holt 1979
John Hughes 1980
Rick Lanz 1981-1987
Jim Benning 1987-1990
Gerald Diduck 1991-1995
Mark Wotton 1995-1997
Grant Ledyard 1998