25 days of Canuckmas

Coconuts

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

61pQ4N+UOGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Kearns is another overlooked Ring of Honour candidate.  10 seasons as a Canuck, his entire career.  Like the original Stan Smyl in that regard.  60 points from the blueline one season (got some votes for the post-season All Star team).  Retired with most of the defenseman records I think.  51, 60 and 47 point seaasons in a row.  Part of that legendary but now forgotten 1974-75 team that won the Canucks' only division title in their first twenty years and their first playoff win against the mighty Canadiens.

Kind of crazy to think that in 1971-72 the Canucks had all three of Kearns, Tallon and Guevremont, all very young, and traded two of them away and didn't really have the blueline as a team strength for the years ahead when it could and should have been a real foundation for the team as they drafted and added Snepsts etc.  Dale Tallon for Gary Smith AND King Korab was a good trade though.  Suitcase Smith had the best performance by anyone in team history for more than the first decade of the team's existence.

Anyway, not much more that could have been asked of Kearns to be in the ROH other than a captaincy or 23 more games to get to the nice round 700 club that seems to be the difference maker.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

On the sixth day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me 

Marc Reaume 1971
Dennis Kearns 1972-1981
Andy Schliebener 1982-1985
Bruce Holloway 1985
Dave Richter 1987-1988
Robert Nordmark 1989-1991
Adrien Plavsic 1992-1995
Adrian Aucoin 1995-2001
Alexei Tezikov 2002
Sami Salo 2003-2012
Yannick Weber 2014-2016
Brock Boeser 2017-2024

• Cheers 1

Bit of a leaner day, but Salo was/is probably my favourite of the bunch 

The teams he played on always seemed calmer when he was on the ice, and in the lineup, I could be wrong but I believe our record was better when he played too

Big cannon from the point, stalwart two-way D, tough as nails in the non-fighting sense, great vet to have

Haven't really felt like we were ever able to replace what he brought as an individual D since

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Canucks place defenceman Carson Soucy on LTIR

soucy-1040x572.jpg

Dallas Stars' Ty Dellandrea (10) grabs Vancouver Canucks' Carson Soucy (7) as he skates with the puck during the first period of an NHL hockey game in Vancouver, on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023. (Ethan Cairns/CP)

Sportsnet-Staff-1.pngSportsnet Staff | @SportsnetNovember 24, 2023, 2:39 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Carson Soucy has been placed on long-term injured reserve, the club announced Friday.

The move comes after the Canucks announced last week that Soucy would be out six to eight weeks with a lower-body injury.

The 29-year-old sustained the injury Nov. 12 against the Montreal Canadiens after blocking a shot.

Soucy has five points (two goals, three assists) in 12 games.

Vancouver also announced forward Pius Suter has retroactively been placed on the injured reserve while day-to-day with an undisclosed injury.

Suter, 27, has also been out of action since the Canucks faced the Canadiens in Montreal. 

In 15 games this season, Suter has recorded four goals and no assists.

In corresponding moves, the team called up forward Nils Aman and defenceman Cole McWard from the AHL's Abbotsford Canucks.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/hymans-hat-trick-mcdavids-three-assists-leads-oilers-past-hurricanes/

• Cheers 1

On the seventh day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

André Boudrias 1971-1976
Dave Fortier 1977
Pit Martin 1978-1979
Sid Veysey 1978
Gary Lupul 1980-1986
Gerry Minor 1980
Tony Currie 1982
Barry Pederson 1987-1990
Dan Quinn 1990-1991
Cliff Ronning 1991-1996
David Roberts 1997-1998
Jamie Huscroft 1998-1999
Robb Gordon 1999
Brendan Morrison 2000-2008
David Booth 2012-2014
Linden Vey 2015-2016
Nic Petan 2022
William Lockwood 2023
Carson Soucy 2024

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

On the seventh day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

André Boudrias 1971-1976
Pit Martin 1978-1979

A couple thoughts on these two legends.  Along with Richard Brodeur, Gino Odjick and Tiger Williams, I think Boudrias is one of the four names that absolutely should have already been up in the Ring of Honor for many years by now.  Boudrias was the second Canucks captain in history, part of the original 1970-71 Canucks team, and held the record for assists in a season for decades until Henrik Sedin passed it pretty far into his own career.  He also won the WHA's Stanley Cup (the AVCO Cup) in 1977 with the same Quebec Nordiques team that was backstopped by King Richard (beating Bobby Hull's Jets in the final if I remember right).

As for Pit Martin, not many fans know his name nowadays but he was a great hockey player and one of the best "here for a cup of coffee" Canucks of all time.  Over 1100 games in his career and over 800 points.  For decades he was one of the best NHLers to have ever worn a Canucks jersey.  He found a new gear when he was almost 30 and scored 90 points for the Hawks and also won the Masterton Trophy during his career (and received Hart Trophy votes one season).

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

A couple thoughts on these two legends.  Along with Richard Brodeur, Gino Odjick and Tiger Williams, I think Boudrias is one of the four names that absolutely should have already been up in the Ring of Honor for many years by now.  Boudrias was the second Canucks captain in history, part of the original 1970-71 Canucks team, and held the record for assists in a season for decades until Henrik Sedin passed it pretty far into his own career.  He also won the WHA's Stanley Cup (the AVCO Cup) in 1977 with the same Quebec Nordiques team that was backstopped by King Richard (beating Bobby Hull's Jets in the final if I remember right).

As for Pit Martin, not many fans know his name nowadays but he was a great hockey player and one of the best "here for a cup of coffee" Canucks of all time.  Over 1100 games in his career and over 800 points.  For decades he was one of the best NHLers to have ever worn a Canucks jersey.  He found a new gear when he was almost 30 and scored 90 points for the Hawks and also won the Masterton Trophy during his career (and received Hart Trophy votes one season).

You and a few others have repeatedly mentioned Boudrias over the years, but this is the first I've ever heard of Pit Martin. 800 points is nothing to sneeze at, neither is 1k+ games, I guess a lot of players who put up high totals, but not high enough to get into the HOF have their names lost to time. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You and a few others have repeatedly mentioned Boudrias over the years, but this is the first I've ever heard of Pit Martin. 800 points is nothing to sneeze at, neither is 1k+ games, I guess a lot of players who put up high totals, but not high enough to get into the HOF have their names lost to time. 

Maybe that's something the Canucks could put their energy into, instead of alienating the fanbase by pulling the plug (yet still not pulling the plug) on the old forum.  Something like a Canuck player history database/"museum", covering not only their time and achievements as Canucks, but also their other time in hockey (as kids and as alumni).

...though I get the sense that a number of "entries" would likely get shit flung onto it, recent ones being Juolevi and Virtanen, an older one being "Mark Who?". :classic_ninja:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe that's something the Canucks could put their energy into, instead of alienating the fanbase by pulling the plug (yet still not pulling the plug) on the old forum.  Something like a Canuck player history database/"museum", covering not only their time and achievements as Canucks, but also their other time in hockey (as kids and as alumni).

...though I get the sense that a number of "entries" would likely get shit flung onto it, recent ones being Juolevi and Virtanen, an older one being "Mark Who?". :classic_ninja:

I mean, once they finally figure out how to put CDC down they'll suddenly have a few dollars to put together for the bandwidth.. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah the Canucks have had some more guys like that over the years.  Terrific careers and a stopover in Vancouver but the kinds of careers that people don't really hear about decades later.  Mel Bridgman, Charlie Hodge, Ivan Boldirev.  Boldirev was a big part of the 1982 run but most Canucks fans have never heard his name now.  Another 800 point guy (closer to 900) and actually had his best season of all at age 35.  Charlie Hodge was one of our two starters in the first 1970-71 season and actually managed a winning record as a goalie that year (and for his Canucks career).  For decades it was only him and John Garrett with that achievement.  Hodge had two Vezina Trophies, two 2nd team All Stars, and was top 5 for the Hart Trophy twice, led the league in GAA one year, shutouts another year...now most people haven't heard the name.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah the Canucks have had some more guys like that over the years.  Terrific careers and a stopover in Vancouver but the kinds of careers that people don't really hear about decades later.  Mel Bridgman, Charlie Hodge, Ivan Boldirev.  Boldirev was a big part of the 1982 run but most Canucks fans have never heard his name now.  Another 800 point guy (closer to 900) and actually had his best season of all at age 35.  Charlie Hodge was one of our two starters in the first 1970-71 season and actually managed a winning record as a goalie that year (and for his Canucks career).  For decades it was only him and John Garrett with that achievement.  Hodge had two Vezina Trophies, two 2nd team All Stars, and was top 5 for the Hart Trophy twice, led the league in GAA one year, shutouts another year...now most people haven't heard the name.

The original rider hog GIF