25 days of Canuckmas

Coconuts

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

For me, it's this guy.   That owns the number, but sure older fans might choose Boudrias, and younger fans would choose Morrison.    It's all Radar for me.   My pals and I, felt he looked like the guy from MASH, and equally important to the team.    Water-bug.   And great player.  

IMG_3464.webp

Yeah other than Bure I still think Ronning is the most exciting Canuck of all time.  Anyone who wasn't around for it wouldn't get how he set the city on fire in those early 90s playoff series right after he arrived but before the 1994 run.

He was the best player on either team in that 1991 series against LA, including Gretzky.  It seems like if they weren't around for it then, people don't even know nowadays that the "Life Line" (Linden / Ronning / Courtnall) was actually a thing.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah other than Bure I still think Ronning is the most exciting Canuck of all time.  Anyone who wasn't around for it wouldn't get how he set the city on fire in those early 90s playoff series right after he arrived but before the 1994 run.

He was the best player on either team in that 1991 series against LA, including Gretzky.  It seems like if they weren't around for it then, people don't even know nowadays that the "Life Line" (Linden / Ronning / Courtnall) was actually a thing.

Ronning was an exciting player.    Would be awfully hard to end up with another player, who wore number 7 as well as he did.   IF we kept him, and he finished his career with us, so many things would be different.    A gaping hole, that was supposed to be filled with 99...and ended up with 11.    He played the majority of his career in the clutch and grab era (which started in the early 90's).   If he didn't miss half a season, and there wasn't a lockout, or just played post lockout ... 925- 1250 points wouldn't be out of the question.   Sometimes Garland does things, that reminds me of Ronning.    Dipsy doodling around defenders.    Ronning played center though.   Imagine at 5'8", going up against Otto?  

Can see why Linden was moved.   But it can't be invalidated either ... Ronning was one of the best players, we've ever had.   And his number would be up there next to Linden's, if he stayed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ronning was an exciting player.    Would be awfully hard to end up with another player, who wore number 7 as well as he did.   IF we kept him, and he finished his career with us, so many things would be different.    A gaping hole, that was supposed to be filled with 99...and ended up with 11.    He played the majority of his career in the clutch and grab era (which started in the early 90's).   If he didn't miss half a season, and there wasn't a lockout, or just played post lockout ... 925- 1250 points wouldn't be out of the question.   Sometimes Garland does things, that reminds me of Ronning.    Dipsy doodling around defenders.    Ronning played center though.   Imagine at 5'8", going up against Otto?  

Can see why Linden was moved.   But it can't be invalidated either ... Ronning was one of the best players, we've ever had.   And his number would be up there next to Linden's, if he stayed. 

Yeah Ronning didn't even really get a shot as an everyday NHL regular until he was 25 or something.  Also lost a season being the Wayne Gretzky of the Italian league.  Right after being pretty much a point a game for the Blues.  He missed that year as well as the 1990s lockout...as well as having his career end because of the 2005 lockout where old guys mostly weren't given another shot after the year off and Ronning among them.  No question at all he would have had 1000 points under more typical circumstances and that's at the low end.

Things are getting to the point now where it's just going to be the normal course of business for anyone with a decent career to lose half a season twice due to labor disputes.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah Ronning didn't even really get a shot as an everyday NHL regular until he was 25 or something.  Also lost a season being the Wayne Gretzky of the Italian league.  Right after being pretty much a point a game for the Blues.  He missed that year as well as the 1990s lockout...as well as having his career end because of the 2005 lockout where old guys mostly weren't given another shot after the year off and Ronning among them.  No question at all he would have had 1000 points under more typical circumstances and that's at the low end.

Things are getting to the point now where it's just going to be the normal course of business for anyone with a decent career to lose half a season twice due to labor disputes.

Ronning, like a lot of guys on those teams, found another level come playoff time.   It took the Sedins half their careers to get there.   Glad there are some old dogs that can keep it real.    Ronning was one of the best players we've ever had.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

The list of #8s isn't out yet but I guess it's worth mentioning that Peter McNab is another one of those guys like Pit Martin with a hell of a career that just doesn't get talked about too much 40 years later.  Did most of his body of work in Boston but had well over 800 points in almost a thousand games.  Seven straight 70 point seasons with four of them 80+.  Ten 20 goal seasons, one of them with the Canucks.  Some of those seasons with 40 goals.  An absolute monster for Boston in the 1978 playoffs.  He and Brad Park were the class of the Bruins in leading the team to the Stanley Cup Final...and third on the team in scoring was former Canuck Bobby Schmautz.

Like Pit Martin and a few of the other guys I mentioned earlier, for a long time Peter McNab was one of the best players to ever wear a Canucks jersey.

1984-o-pee-chee-326-peter-mcnab-gem-mt-1

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1