25 days of Canuckmas

Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

A pair of respectable Ring of Honour candidates wearing #9 in Don Lever and Tony Tanti.  Don Lever was the captain before Kevin McCarthy I think and for years he held the Canucks ironman record before Trevor Linden broke it in the 90s.

Tony Tanti was one of the more underappreciated scorers in league history and now after all of this time in Canucks history as well.  Only something like 24 players in NHL history have had more than five 40-goal seasons.  Tony had five 39+ goal seasons in a row.  All of the seasons consecutively is even more rare of course and Tanti just needed one more goal twice for it to have been official.  Years ago it never seemed like there would be a day where many or even most Canucks fans wouldn't know who Tony Tanti and Petri Skriko are but...such things come to pass.

Andrew McBain was quite a good player.  We got him late in his career but he had 77 points one year with the Jets.

Gary Leeman we picked up as a late career lottery ticket of a reclamation project.  Didn't do much in Vancouver but he was a 50 goal scorer with the Leafs.

I already talked about Ivan Boldirev earlier in the thread.  800+ points, substantial contributor to the 1982 run...now the vast majority of Canucks fans probably have no idea who he is.

Ryan Walter was a really good player with the Canadiens and the Capitals.  Broke 80 points one year, over 600 in his career, over a thousand games.  We had him in the "veteran leadership" denouement of his career.  He was part of a really big trade for Doug Jarvis and Rod Langway...way back when.

I'm 4 for 6 - that's a passing grade, right?  :classic_laugh:

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Just popping in to say JT'S the best #9 ever. I will fight you.

I think he will be if he gets 100 points this year.  As of now I still give it to Tanti for his body of work.  #9 is a jersey with a lot of good players attached to it in Vancouver though.  Lever, Boldirev, Walter, Tallon, McBain, Leeman, Keane...all very good players.  McBain and Leeman and Walter did their best work elsewhere but it's one of the numbers populated with the most high quality NHLers.

• Cheers 1

On the tenth day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Ray Cullen 1971
Fred Speck 1972
Don Lever 1973
Dennis Ververgaert 1974-1979
Rick Blight 1979
Drew Callander 1979
Bill Derlago 1980
Bobby Schmautz 1981
Anders Eldebrink 1982-1983
Moe Lemay 1982-1983
Tony Currie 1983
Jere Gillis 1984-1985
Jean-Marc Lanthier 1984-1985
Dave Morrison 1985
Brent Peterson 1986-1987
Brian Bradley 1988-1991
Ronnie Stern 1988
Geoff Courtnall 1991
Pavel Bure 1992-1998
Esa Tikkanen 1996-1997
Trevor Letowski 2002-2003
Brad May 2004
Ryan Johnson 2009-2010
Jeff Tambellini 2011

• Vintage 1

I guess a couple words on the TWO Canucks to ever wear #11, Wayne Maki and Chris Oddleifson...

Oddleifson wore it briefly the way Geoff Courtnall wore #10 before switching to and becoming known forevermore as #14.

Oddleifson is one of the solid but forgotten captains.  Should get some more respect in that regard with Don Lever and Andre Boudrias, etc.  Eight seasons as a Canuck.  51 points one year, 62 another.  Part of the 1974-75 team that won the first ever division title (the only regular season one in the first 20 years of existence) and also the first ever playoff win.

Wayne Maki...  Only played two full seasons as a Canuck but scored over 20 goals in each of them.  One of the original 1970-71 Canucks and had 63 points that year, just three behind Andre Boudrias for the team scoring title.  He was a guy like Orland Kurtenbach who had never really been given a shot with real icetime in the NHL before the Canucks...then the moment they got a chance took their game and scoring to a level nobody had predicted.  Had a hat trick in that first season in an 11-5 win over the California Golden Seals.  I guess most people know the story but he was diagnosed with brain cancer early in his third season with the Canucks, never played again and died a little over a year later.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I guess a couple words on the TWO Canucks to ever wear #11, Wayne Maki and Chris Oddleifson...

Oddleifson wore it briefly the way Geoff Courtnall wore #10 before switching to and becoming known forevermore as #14.

Oddleifson is one of the solid but forgotten captains.  Should get some more respect in that regard with Don Lever and Andre Boudrias, etc.  Eight seasons as a Canuck.  51 points one year, 62 another.  Part of the 1974-75 team that won the first ever division title (the only regular season one in the first 20 years of existence) and also the first ever playoff win.

Wayne Maki...  Only played two full seasons as a Canuck but scored over 20 goals in each of them.  One of the original 1970-71 Canucks and had 63 points that year, just three behind Andre Boudrias for the team scoring title.  He was a guy like Orland Kurtenbach who had never really been given a shot with real icetime in the NHL before the Canucks...then the moment they got a chance took their game and scoring to a level nobody had predicted.  Had a hat trick in that first season in an 11-5 win over the California Golden Seals.  I guess most people know the story but he was diagnosed with brain cancer early in his third season with the Canucks, never played again and died a little over a year later.

Well, You can't just have one!

sorry, I'll see myself out