25 days of Canuckmas

Coconuts

Always liked Raymond, he pretty much still looks the same

All the speed in the world but his hands just couldn't always catch up with his feet, if they could he'd have been a much more impactful player, which isn't to minimize the solid seasons he had as a Canuck

• Vintage 1

What can I say about 22...

TIGER WILLIAMS...  Canucks legend, NHL legend.  The NHL's all time career record holder in penalty minutes and by a wide margin.  More career goals than Henrik Sedin.  35 goal season and an All Star Game as a Canuck.  Big part of the 1982 Stanley Cup run.  Invented riding the stick on the biggest stage to celebrate a goal and inspired Cliff Ronning to do the same.  Belongs in the Ring of Honor...ten years ago at least.  Pat Quinn was talking about retiring his jersey in Vancouver altogether.  Big personality.  Continued to contribute to the hockey scene after his retirement from the NHL by playing pro inline hockey for the Vancouver Voodoo if anyone remembers that team and that league.  Absolute legend.

DANIEL SEDIN...  I don't know anything you guys dont.

ROBERT DIRK...  The fourth part of the famous Ronning / Courtnall / Momesso for Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher trade.  Solid tough reliable depth defenseman.  Pat Quinn made a weird trade during the 1993-94 season and traded Dirk away for a third rounder or something...odd choice for a team that was going to go on a playoff run but I guess he was sort of expendable.  Maybe not so much though when Dana Murzyn went out early in the playoffs.

DAVE LOWRY...  Not a name known that well now but a very respectable 1000 game career and a very reliable bottom six guy.  He and Rich Sutter were the unsung heroes of the 80s Canucks.  Got Selke Trophy votes one year.  Was part of that underdog run by the Florida Panthers to the 1996 Cup final.

JOCELYN GUEVREMONT...  I've talked a bit about him recently.  While he was a Canuck most people don't know he was part of the 1972 Canada vs. Russia team with Dryden, Esposito, Tretiak, etc.  Selected ahead of some great players for that roster.  Also one of the very first 50 point rookie defensemen in NHL history.  Possibly the second.  He would have broken Bobby Orr's record there if his own teammate Dale Tallon hadn't done it (as a Canuck) one year earlier.

PETER ZEZEL...  Just briefly a Canuck at the end but an excellent player for Philadelphia.  One of the 30 goal / 70 point guys that got them by committee to the 1987 final the same way the Canucks got there in 1982 with no megastars but a platoon of 60 and 70 point guys.  The Canucks ran into the Islanders dynasty...Zezel ran into the Oilers dynasty.  Only played 66 games as a Canuck but he had been such a good player in his career that I was glad he wore the Canucks jersey, same as some other guys that have or probably will come up in this thread like Tom Fergus, Blair MacDonald, Andrew McBain, Peter McNab, Murray Bannerman, Brent Ashton, Bill Derlago, Esa Tikkanen, Mike Ridley, Tom Kurvers, Randy Gregg, Pit Martin, Gary Leeman, Jimmy Carson, Mel Bridgman, etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 3

I wasn't aware Nazzy had worn 22

On the twenty-second day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me 

Garth Rizzuto 1971
Gregg Boddy 1972-1976
Jocelyn Guevremont 1972
Andy Spruce 1977
Bob Manno 1978-1980
Tiger Williams 1981-1984
Dave Lowry 1986-1988
Greg Adams 1989
Dan Hodgson 1989
Craig Coxe 1990-1991
Robert Dirk 1991-1994
Jeff Brown 1994-1996
Markus Näslund 1996
Larry Courville 1997-1998
Peter Zezel 1998-1999
Daniel Sedin 2001-2018

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

23 and me...

PAUL REINHART...  If people weren't watching the Canucks around 1989 or so they probably wouldn't appreciate what an impact this guy had.  Maybe more impact on the team than anyone has ever had in two years.  He shared duties with Linden etc. as the face of the franchise for those two seasons.  Along with Dave Babych, he was the most talented defenseman this team had ever seen until Quinn Hughes.  Babych had entered his veteran leadership stage to some degree (like Trevor Linden, an injury turned him also from a 70 point player to a 40 point player) but Reinhart was still a scoring star on the blueline as a Canuck, just fighting through pain day in and day out like Mike Bossy until finally calling it quits after 1990...after a season as almost a point a game defenseman.  Came in 7th for the Norris one year.  12th in his first season as a Canuck.

Reinhart was amazing as a Calgary Flame.  People forget what a playoff beast he was.  17 points in 11 games in 1984, and pretty a much a point a game in two other long playoff runs for Calgary.  Also an impact player in the Canucks' legendary 1989 7th game OT series against those same Flames.  Got two of Vancouver's game winning goals out of the three games they won in the series.  Back when the Flames went to the Cup final in 1986, Calgary had Al MacInnis, Gary Suter and Paul Reinhart on the blueline.  I don't know if a team has ever had a better top three defensemen.  But as for the 1988 Flames...I'm pretty sure no team has ever had a better seven defensemen in NHL history.  MacInnis, Reinhart, Suter, Brad McCrimmon, Rob Ramage, Dana Murzyn and Ric Nattress.  And Brian Glynn as the 8th guy.

THOMAS GRADIN...  At one point held the Canucks records for both points in a season and career, before being passed by Stan Smyl and not by much.  Terrific player.  If he had been on the Oilers, he would have probably been Jari Kurri and in the HOF.  And Smyl would have been Glenn Anderson.

GERRY O'FLAHERTY...  Three straight 20 goal seasons for the Canucks in the early 70s.  Now most people unfortunately don't know who he is.

MURRAY HALL...  Also a 20 goal scorer for the Canucks in their first ever 1970-71 season, then went on to win two AVCO Cups in the WHA as an impact player on Gordie Howe's Houston Aeros (including a 30 goal season).

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

23 and me...

PAUL REINHART...  If people weren't watching the Canucks around 1989 or so they probably wouldn't appreciate what an impact this guy had.  Maybe more impact on the team than anyone has ever had in two years.  He shared duties with Linden etc. as the face of the franchise for those two seasons.  Along with Dave Babych, he was the most talented defenseman this team had ever seen until Quinn Hughes.  Babych had entered his veteran leadership stage to some degree (like Trevor Linden, an injury turned him also from a 70 point player to a 40 point player) but Reinhart was still a scoring star on the blueline as a Canuck, just fighting through pain day in and day out like Mike Bossy until finally calling it quits after 1990...after a season as almost a point a game defenseman.  Came in 7th for the Norris one year.  12th in his first season as a Canuck.

Reinhart was amazing as a Calgary Flame.  People forget what a playoff beast he was.  17 points in 11 games in 1984, and pretty a much a point a game in two other long playoff runs for Calgary.  Also an impact player in the Canucks' legendary 1989 7th game OT series against those same Flames.  Got two of Vancouver's game winning goals out of the three games they won in the series.  Back when the Flames went to the Cup final in 1986, Calgary had Al MacInnis, Gary Suter and Paul Reinhart on the blueline.  I don't know if a team has ever had a better top three defensemen.  But as for the 1988 Flames...I'm pretty sure no team has ever had a better seven defensemen in NHL history.  MacInnis, Reinhart, Suter, Brad McCrimmon, Rob Ramage, Dana Murzyn and Ric Nattress.  And Brian Glynn as the 8th guy.

THOMAS GRADIN...  At one point held the Canucks records for both points in a season and career, before being passed by Stan Smyl and not by much.  Terrific player.  If he had been on the Oilers, he would have probably been Jari Kurri and in the HOF.  And Smyl would have been Glenn Anderson.

GERRY O'FLAHERTY...  Three straight 20 goal seasons for the Canucks in the early 70s.  Now most people unfortunately don't know who he is.

MURRAY HALL...  Also a 20 goal scorer for the Canucks in their first ever 1970-71 season, then went on to win two AVCO Cups in the WHA as an impact player on Gordie Howe's Houston Aeros (including a 30 goal season).

23 is a pretty special number.   A lot of troopers on that list.   

Shout to Gelinas as well.   Honoured the number well, very fast player, and absolutely fearless going to the net, especially as he aged.   One year, during the dark days, it wasn't Bure or Mogilny that led the team in scoring.   There wasn't a lot to be happy about things.   Gelinas was also named in 99's book, as one of the guys, Gretzky was looking forward to playing with.  "A good young core, that had recently gone to the final" paraphrasing.  

Murray Baron gets lost in those days too.   A warrior, had some Garth in him.  

Eventually this lanky Swede showed up, who would stand guys up and could put it in the net ..   and now it's going to be mostly remembered for that.    For sure a lot of other guys before him deserve attention, good post Biestra! 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

23 is a pretty special number.   A lot of troopers on that list.   

Shout to Gelinas as well.   Honoured the number well, very fast player, and absolutely fearless going to the net, especially as he aged.   One year, during the dark days, it wasn't Bure or Mogilny that led the team in scoring.   There wasn't a lot to be happy about things.   Gelinas was also named in 99's book, as one of the guys, Gretzky was looking forward to playing with.  "A good young core, that had recently gone to the final" paraphrasing.  

Murray Baron gets lost in those days too.   A warrior, had some Garth in him.  

Eventually this lanky Swede showed up, who would stand guys up and could put it in the net ..   and now it's going to be mostly remembered for that.    For sure a lot of other guys before him deserve attention, good post Biestra! 

Yeah the thing I remember about Gelinas was that he signed a contract that made early Burrows look pricey... then got something like 60 points while making maybe $600K.  The Vancouver fans and I guess media actually pressured the Canucks to give him more money and if I remember right the Canucks actually tore up his contract and gave him a raise.  Good luck seeing something like that happen nowadays.

Gelinas...I remember him from Edmonton's "Kid Line" on the way to the 1990 Stanley Cup as well.  Guy was a winner almost everywhere he went.  Exactly the kind of guy I was talking about with the 1982 Canucks and 1985 / 87 Flyers where even if there aren't any megastars, a platoon of 60 and 70 point guys who know how to turn it up when it matters can take you all the way.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On the twenty-third day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Murray Hall 1971-1972

Gerry O'Flaherty 1973-1978

Thomas Gradin 1979-1986

Dan Hodgson 1987

Dan Woodley 1988

Paul Reinhart 1989-1990

Garry Valk 1991-1993

Neil Eisenhut 1994

Martin Gélinas 1994-1998

Bryan McCabe 1998

Murray Baron 1999-2003

Marc Bergevin 2004

Martin Grenier 2004

Sean Brown 2006

Alexander Edler 2007-2021

Oliver Ekman-Larsson 2022-2023

Travis Dermott 2022

Jack Studnicka 2023-2024

• Vintage 1

s-l1200.webp

d59ac4977952d6fcafe8dac52ff1b487.jpg

bruce-bullock-1975-134.jpg

bryan-mcsheffrey-1972-1122.jpg

image.png.61592ee953a75ac635a70eb8f048d45b.png

np0bvv2i5ve31.jpg?auto=webp&s=ae9b9fc8fa

s-l1200.webp

image.png.72e7cd1ac758e9c0e2b40f323c0c7e4c.png

DN0Y-B8WsAE_ryO.jpg

jack-capuano-1992-32.jpg

s-l1200.webp

s-l1200.jpg

s-l1200.webp

1993-94-Leaf-Hockey-031_815x.jpg?v=16029

Scott_Walker_Home_Jersey_Skating_1275x.j

I was watching this game with my dad from the Pacific Coliseum on their big screen after a Giants playoff game.  I remember that goal and the Jovo celebration from the penalty box - though all hopes were dashed when Martin Gelinas scored the goal in OT that would end the Canucks season.

And also unfortunately, he was also known to be a cheapshot artist.

Mustela_nivalis_-British_Wildlife_Centre

s-l1200.webp

jonas-andersson-of-the-vancouver-canucks

mancari.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=288&h

hi-res-2020a9d132f79fafb4706490fd91c88b_

vancouver-canucks-right-wing-adam-crackn

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-former-nhler-reid-boucher-sentenced-closed-court-sexual-assault-case/

Spoiler

Report: Former NHLer Reid Boucher sentenced in closed-court sexual assault case

boucher_reid.jpg

Vancouver Canucks' Reid Boucher lines up during a faceoff. (Darryl Dyck/CP)

Sportsnet-Staff-1.pngSportsnet Staff | @SportsnetFebruary 1, 2022, 3:33 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Editor's note: The following story deals with sexual assault, and may be upsetting for some readers. If you or someone you know is in need of support, those in Canada can find province-specific centres, crisis lines and services here. For readers in the United States, a list of resources and references for survivors and their loved ones can be found here.

Former NHL player Reid Boucher has been sentenced to four years of probation with one year of suspended jail time, if he successfully completes the probation, in his 2011 sexual assault case Monday, both the now-23-year-old woman at the centre of the case and his lawyer told the Detroit Free Press.

Multiple attempts made by Sportsnet to contact Boucher's attorney, Pamella Szydlak, were not immediately answered.

The sentence comes after Boucher pleaded guilty to third-degree criminal sexual conduct against a minor in a Washtenaw County Trial Court on Dec. 13. He was originally being charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

"I'm so glad that even if this wasn't the outcome that I was hoping for, that it worked out in the end, in some capacity," the survivor told the Free Press.

Despite the third-degree charge usually carrying a penalty of up to 15 years in prison, Boucher was sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act (HYTA), meaning the charge is reduced and he will not be required to register as a sex offender upon completion of his sentence, according to the Detroit Free Press, the first outlet to report on the news.

Under the initial first-degree charge, Boucher would have faced 25 years to life in prison.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Circuit Judge Patrick Conlin let Boucher enter a plea for the lesser charge due to "unusual" circumstances like Boucher's age at the time of the incident and how long ago it happened.

During the hearing on Monday, the Free Press said, Conlin clarified to the survivor that he did not call the case "unusual" because of how long it took her to come forward, as can often happen with sexual assault survivors, but instead that his comment was meant to refer to it being an older case.

The incidents occurred in 2011, when Boucher, then 17, assaulted a 12-year-old girl whose family hosted him as a billet family in Ann Arbor, Mich., when Boucher played for the USA Hockey development program.

"In March of 2011, we spoke to parents of both minors and there were no accusations made, but Boucher was proactively removed from the billet home," a USA Hockey spokesperson told The Athletic. "In March of 2021, we were notified by police of allegations of sexual misconduct and have fully cooperated with their investigation."

Should Boucher break the conditions of his sentence under the HYTA, he could still face a penalty of up to 15 years in prison and the ramification of registering as a sex offender.

After Boucher pleaded to the lesser third-degree charge, the survivor, now 23, said she has dealt with severe trauma, self-harm and substance abuse issues since being assaulted and is "disgusted" by the judge's reasoning, according to the Detroit Free Press.

“I feel like a lot of the progress I’ve made over the last 10 years – that’s been undone," she said.

The survivor also said she wrote a letter to the judge before the December hearing asking him not to make any concessions, she told the Detroit Free Press.

After Boucher's sentencing, the survivor said she was grateful for "some semblance of closure," according to the Detroit Free Press.

The Free Press also reports that Boucher was "prepared to go to trial but made the best choice for his family," according to his lawyer.

Beyond the 2011 incidents, The Athletic's Katie Strang reported on Jan. 21 that two women said Boucher had solicited photos of them when they were teenagers.

One of the occurrences reportedly happened in October 2014 when Boucher, then 21, attempted to solicit photos from a 15-year-old Canadian girl by messaging her through Facebook. The other occurred in January of the same year, when Boucher attempted to solicit photos of a 17-year-old woman in New Jersey, also via Facebook messages.

Boucher, 28, was drafted in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Draft by the New Jersey Devils. He played in parts of six NHL seasons with the Devils, Nashville Predators and Vancouver Canucks, and now plays for Yaroslavl Lokomotiv of the KHL.

Former Devils general manager and current New York Islanders general manager Lou Lamoriello told The Athletic that he was not aware of the incident before New Jersey drafted Boucher.

"Unequivocally, our organization did not know about this incident," Lamoriello said.

504e5e9b6261eed600a2d9c47cba74075d0a3801

image.thumb.png.c91510c241e879aeab9ecb4d2a4e7878.png

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/edm-van-suter-scores-goal-against-oilers-6340646093112

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/van-tor-suter-scores-goal-against-maple-leafs-6340970110112

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/sjs-van-suter-scores-goal-against-mackenzie-blackwood-6343817106112

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

Memories of 24s...

f5f8f1f0-3e3e-11ec-bfee-29cb63bf1393

MICHEL PETIT...  Solid, tough defenseman with over 800 career games.  Another good Canucks draft pick (11th overall in 1982) who they moved on from pretty early like Murray Bannerman, Brent Ashton, Rick Vaive, Bill Derlago etc.  A really good long career on the blueline and some 200+ PIM seasons.  Kind of like the third Garth Butcher / Harold Snepsts.  Canucks moved on from him in 1987 or 1988 but he kept playing until 1998.  We got Willie Huber and Larry Melnyk for him...both decent players but we probably would have benefited more from a decade of Petit which would have included all those playoff runs of the early 90s.  Huber was at the absolute end of his run and retired at the end of the year we acquired him.

RANDY GREGG...  Unlike Mark Recchi he was an ACTUAL doctor while he was playing in the NHL.  Very respectable defenseman for the Oilers dynasty as well.  A pair of pretty decent achievements and I was glad he wore the Canucks jersey before his career ended.

TOM KURVERS...  Forgotten very solid offensive defenseman of his day, like Doug Crossman or Reed Larson.  He was part of a series of quick trades that basically turned Brian Bradley into Tom Kurvers into Craig Ludwig into Dave Babych (or something like that).  Kurvers was actually terrific in his short stay as a Canuck.  27 points in 32 games.  Had some 50 point seasons and then another one where he topped out at 66.  Damn fine player.

JIRI SLEGR...  Hope you're wearing a helmet if you're watching a game in the nosebleed seats while he's playing.

CURT FRASER...  Doesn't get talked about much nowadays but a terrific player for the Canucks.  Scored 28 goals and was also something of an enforcer in the 1982 season before being a substantial part of the run to the final.  We traded him for Tony Tanti.  Tanti became a star in Vancouver and Fraser kept up his good work in Chicago.  More 25+ goal seasons while playing a Stan Smyl style of hockey.

GARRY MONAHAN...  A good dependable 15 goal scorer for a few years in a Canuck jersey in the 1970s.

TONY CURRIE...  Contributed a bit to the 1982 playoff run.

LARRY MELNYK...  I always forget he was another Canuck who was part of the Oilers dynasty.  Was on their blueline for a couple of their early Cups.

ED DYCK...  Just a good old 70s backup goalie.  He didn't set the world on fire with his stats but I like these guys, especially goalies, who played in both the NHL and the WHA.  The Canucks had arguably the three greatest of all time in Brodeur, Garrett and Gary Smith, and then Gary Bromley as well and George Gardner.  Ed Dyck was just a likable old backup.  Oh yeah Gerry Cheevers played in the NHL and WHA with significant success in both.  Jacques Plante also played in the WHA but as more of a late Claude Lemieux style comeback.  But Brodeur and Smith were the only others to independently have big success in both leagues, and Garrett was one of the best WHA goalies of all time and had decent success in the NHL.  Then there were some good NHL goalies like Mike Liut and Pat Riggin who didn't have notable WHA success.  Michel Dion was successful in both leagues.  Mike Liut and Michel Dion (two of the guys to play in both leagues) were also two of the only goalies (along with Michel Larocque) to use my favorite of all time, the evil duck goalie mask.  At least that's what I called it.  And I just realized all three were either French or English Michaels.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

On the twenty-fourth day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Len Lunde 1971
Ed Dyck 1972
Bruce Bullock 1973
Bryan McSheffrey 1973
Dave Dunn 1974-1975
Garry Monahan 1975-1978
Curt Fraser 1979-1983
Tony Currie 1983-1984
Michel Petit 1985-1988
Larry Melnyk 1988-1990
Jack Capuano 1991
Don Gibson 1991
Tom Kurvers 1991
Randy Gregg 1992
Jiří Šlégr 1993-1995
Scott Walker 1995-1998
Matt Cooke 1999-2008
Darcy Hordichuk 2009-2010
Jonas Andersson 2011
Mark Mancari 2012
Raphael Diaz 2014
Adam Cracknell 2016
Reid Boucher 2017-2019
Jimmy Vesey 2021
Travis Dermott 2022-2023
Pius Suter 2024

Merry Christmas...  What can I think of about the #25s...

DOUG LIDSTER...  He must have worn this jersey for five minutes.  He was #3.

ORLAND KURTENBACH...  Everyone knows he was the first captain.  He was a role player and grinder for most of his career, then at around age 35 or whatever got his shot with some real icetime in Vancouver and never looked back.  Became a 50 point player and one wonders what he might have done with some opportunities with other teams when he was younger.  He was kind of like the original JT Miller...blossomed in Vancouver when given a chance.

NATHAN LAFAYETTE...  People hated him for hitting the goal post late in game 7 against the Rangers in 1994 but his goal post was closer to tying the game than anybody else achieved.  It was a better shot than if he had just missed the net.  Really elevated his game for those playoffs when it mattered.  9 points in 20 games from a guy who never even had 9 points in a full NHL season.  Respect.

STEPHANE MORIN...  We took him on briefly as a reclamation project about the same time as Jimmy Carson and Gary Leeman.  People won't remember Morin now but he was quite a good rookie with the Quebec Nordiques in the early 90s.  40 points in 48 games.  Then he just did the Jason King and immediately went off a cliff.  Don't know if he even had a 10 point season again but he was a big deal for about a year or so around 1991.

AL MacADAM...  This guy was awesome and I even forget he was a Canuck.  He won the Masterton Trophy in 1980 when he had a 93 point season.  In a classic move by the NHL writers, in the post season All Star Team votes, he was voted the 7th best LW in the NHL...and the 5th best RW.  He might have been a 2nd team All Star if they had just agreed on what position he played.  Over 800 games, 240 goals.  Another guy where it is a credit to the Canucks jersey that he wore it at one point.  He played his final season with us.  All 80 games, 34 points in a veteran leadership role like late career Bryan Trottier or Trevor Linden.

ANDREW CASSELS...  Another guy who might not be remembered that much these days but he was one of the NHL's respectable B tier setup centers during his day, and made a pretty good tandem feeding the pick to Geoff Sanderson in Hartford.  He was a shade below John Cullen or Craig Janney...topped out at about 85 points or so which was a fine accomplishment, especially on a team like Hartford where he wasn't feeding the puck to Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille.

KEVIN McCARTHY...  The Canucks captain in 1982.  He went down with an injury and (with Rick Lanz) missed the entire playoffs.  Stan Smyl was named interim captain for the playoffs and the rest is history.  McCarthy is one of the best defensemen we've ever had.  I think he had four straight seasons as a Canuck with 40+ and 50+ points.  Not having him (or Lanz) for the entire playoffs made a difference in the final at least.  I think we definitely win game one against the Islanders if they are in the lineup.  And I've said before that McCarthy would have been the second best defenseman behind Denis Potvin on the entire Islanders dynasty team...and we had to play against those Islanders without two guys who might have each been their second best defenseman.  McCarthy's peak as a player only lasted for about those four years I mentioned...but they coincided with the Islanders dynasty years.

SERGEI SHIROKOV...  Has there ever been more hype about a signing for a guy who played a total of eight games as a Canuck and in the NHL.  Reminded me of when the Canucks were going to make a huge splash with Fabian Brunnstrom.

RALPH STEWART...  A guy who started out briefly in Vancouver in their original 1970-71 and then later "returned home" to finish his career in Vancouver.  He didn't make a huge impact with the Canucks in either stint but in between them he was a 20 goal scorer for the Islanders.

DAVID BRUCE...  Kind of a minor reverse Orland Kurtenbach story.  He was a spare part for the Canucks in the 80s and then when the San Jose Sharks entered the league he got some icetime with them and had a 20 goal season.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2