25 days of Canuckmas

Coconuts

On 12/26/2023 at 7:49 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Since you said you were keeping it going to the end of the month...

GEORGE GARDNER...  I think I said a bit about him earlier under a different jersey number.

PETRI SKRIKO...  Canucks legend.  There was a time in the 80s where it didn't seem possible Canucks fans could one day not know who this guy is.  Year in and year out while he was a Canuck he either led the team in points or was close to it.  Had a hat trick streak as a Canuck that made the Jeff Cowan run look ordinary.  I believe he was named the top forward of the entire tournament at the 1982 World Juniors.  He and Tanti were the young new faces of the franchise in the mid 80s the way Pettersson and Hughes are now.  If he had played a couple more seasons it would be disrespect to not have him in the Ring of Honour.

JIM AGNEW...  Just an honest hard working grinder.  I had friends who made fun of him because the guy couldn't get a point to save his life but the guy made the big leagues and that's more than almost everyone ever does.

TIM HUNTER, STEPHANE MORIN, TIGER WILLIAMS...  Talked about them earlier under different jersey numbers.  They must have worn these for one game.

MARTIN RUCINSKY...  I forget he was a Canuck. Same as I remember Mike Ridley as a Ranger even though he was only there for the first fairly short portion of his career, I remember Rucinsky as a Quebec Nordique rather than a Canadien where he spent the bulk of his career.  Talented player.  Over 240 goals, 600 points, almost a thousand games.  Just a Canuck briefly but a fine NHLer to have worn the jersey.

GERRY MEEHAN...  Just a brief stopover in Vancouver in the 70s but a largely forgotten 30 goal and 60 point player who scored pretty consistently throughout his career.

LARS MOLIN...  A short NHL career, just three seasons, but he arrived and turned it up when it mattered the most.  46 points as a rookie in the 1981-82 season and then 11 points in 17 games on the run to the 1982 Cup final.  Then after 1984 he just went back to Sweden from whence he came and was a point a game (one season almost two points per game) until his mid 30s.

I have this vague memory of Molin getting injured with a broken leg but it didn't heal properly so they had to break it again.  Ouch.  Next time b*tch about how soft a given player is, I try to think of what Molin had to go thru.

• Vintage 2

#31...

JOHN GARRETT...  The broadcasting career was just a bonus.  He was one of my favorite Canucks of all time.  And for the first 20+ years of the team's existence, he and the legendary Charlie Hodge were the only Canucks goalies in history to have a career record of over .500, and that's when there were no shootout / OTL points that didn't count as losses.  A MUCH better goalie than he gets credit for.  He was one of the best goalies in WHA history, and was a 1st Team All Star in that league.  He was the Quebec Nordiques backup in 1982 when the Canucks went to the final.  Quebec starter Dan Bouchard got injured and Garrett stepped in and got the team some essential wins in getting them to round three.  The Nordiques lost to the dynasty Islanders in the semifinal...but except for the Islanders, it might have been Brodeur vs. Garrett in the 1982 final.

TROY GAMBLE...  Temporarily unseated Kirk McLean as the starter in the early 90s.  Had a great rookie year and I remember that even though McLean had been a Vezina finalist about two years earlier, the public largely turned on him and wanted him traded so the team could run with Gamble.  Gamble got a concussion and never regained his form and barely even played in the NHL after that.  Meanwhile McLean went on to win two division titles, be a Vezina finalist again, and be a Conn Smythe Trophy candidate in the 1994 run.  Gamble was really promising though.  He did outplay McLean in that one season.

STEVE WEEKS...  Late in the 1988 season, King Richard's last in the NHL, the Canucks traded him to Hartford for Steve Weeks.  Brodeur was at the end of the line, though he did go out with one last hurrah in Hartford that year with a final display of playoff heroics, winning the Whalers a game against Patrick Roy's Canadiens.  Meanwhile the younger Weeks really was a great acquisition.  His 1988-89 season is still arguably the best season any Canucks backup has ever had.  He had a sub-3.00 GAA that year in an era where that was a great achievement, and as the backup he still got votes for the post-season All Star team from the pros.  People also forget he came off the bench and won the Canucks one of their games in the 1989 playoff series against Calgary.

BOB MASON...  I always forget he was a Canuck at one point.  He was a starter in Washington and Chicago in the 1980s and had a really good season with the Capitals.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 3

I missed yesterday, my bad

On the thirtieth day if Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

George Gardner 1971-1972
Dunc Wilson 1972
Bruce Bullock 1973
Ed Dyck 1973
Dave McLelland 1973
Jacques Caron 1974
Ken Lockett 1975-1976
Cesare Maniago 1977-1978
Gary Bromley 1979-1981
Frank Caprice 1983-1988
Mike Fountain 1997
Garth Snow 1998-2000
Martin Brochu 2002
Tyler Moss 2003
Jason LaBarbera 2009
Andrew Raycroft 2010
Joacim Eriksson 2014
Ryan Miller 2015-2017
Louis Domingue 2020
Spencer Martin 2022-2023

• Vintage 1

Lastly, on the thirty-first day of Canuckmas, Canucks lore gave to me

Dunc Wilson 1971-1979
Bruce Bullock 1975
Rick Heinz 1982
John Garrett 1983-1985
Troy Gamble 1987
Steve Weeks 1988-1990
Steve McKichan 1991
Bob Mason 1991
Shawn Antoski 1992-1993
Corey Hirsch 1996-1999
Ľubomír Vaic 2000
Mika Noronen 2006
Dany Sabourin 2007
Drew MacIntyre 2008
Eddie Läck 2014-2015
Anders Nilsson 2018-2019
Arturs Silovs 2023

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Thanks to everyone who posted and contributed over the past month, @6of1_halfdozenofother and @Kevin Biestra in particular, it was a fun walk down memory lane this holiday season

Thanks for the thread ‘Nuts, enjoyed the heck out of it. Same from me to @Kevin Biestra, @6of1_halfdozenofother and everyone who brought back stories of guys remembered and forgotten.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Poor Dale Weise.  :hurhur:

Neil Belland 1985
Bruce Holloway 1985
Craig Coxe 1986
Robin Bartel 1987
Jim Agnew 1988
Ian Kidd 1989
Murray Craven 1993-1994
Dean Malkoc 1996
Chris Joseph 1997
Artūrs Irbe 1998
Corey Schwab 2000
Brad May 2003
Tyler Bouck 2004
Marc Chouinard 2007
Lawrence Nycholat 2009
Joel Perrault 2011
Dale Weise 2012-2014
Richard Bachman 2016-2019

:hurhur:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Murray Craven 1993-1994
Artūrs Irbe 1998

:hurhur:

Happy to talk about Craven.  One of my favorite Canucks ever to probably play less than 80 games with the team.  Had 70 points at least twice with the Flyers...was an excellent Flyer and those teams were constructed a lot like the 1982 Canucks that went to the final (the Flyers went to the final in 1985 and 1987 and lost to the dynasty Oilers whereas the Canucks lost to the dynasty Islanders).  Both teams, those Flyers and Canucks had no active 100 point players at the time, but had a committee of 60-90 point guys...  For the Canucks it was Smyl, Gradin, Hlinka, Boldirev, Tiger, Fraser, etc.  For the Flyers it was Propp, Kerr, Craven, Tocchet, Sinisalo, Zezel, Poulin, Mellanby.  If those kind of guys know how to turn it up when it matters most, you can make a run to the Cup.  I was pumped when the Canucks acquired Craven in the early 90s.  He was exactly the kind of guy you want for a playoff push and had gone to the final twice already and faced the best of all time (taking Gretzky's Oilers to seven games in 1987).  I mentioned earlier that Momesso and Craven were the two guys I remembered crying at the end of game seven.  For Craven it must have been indescribably frustrating.  He lost in the final twice to the dynasty Oilers, including game seven, and then got to the final again and lost in game seven against the dynasty Oilers just wearing Rangers jerseys.

Irbe...  Remember him mainly for a playoff series where he largely willed the lowly expansion Sharks to a series win over the powerhouse Red Wings.  He was a workhorse as well.  Played 70+ games in a season several times and led all goalies in that regard in multiple years I think.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1

35th day of Canuckmas!

Ed Dyck

Bruce Bullock

Curt Ridley

Richard Brodeur

Troy Gamble

Kay Whitmore

Kevin Weekes

Bob Essensa

Alex Auld

Dany Sabourin

Cory Schneider

Jacob Markström

Thatcher Demko

Edited by Chickenspear
  • ThereItIs 2

5 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

35th day of Canuckmas!

Richard Brodeur

Uh oh...don't get me started...

Should have been the first guy in the Ring of Honor except for the fittingness of having the first captain Orland Kurtenbach break the ice.  Instead the King isn't even up there at all.

I've never seen anyone more singlehandedly take a team to the Stanley Cup final in all my years of watching hockey.  The King took the Canucks on his back, a team that had no 90 point players and had never had a 90 point player in its existence, and got them past Marcel Dionne's Kings (130 point player), Kent Nilsson's Flames (130 point player) and Denis Savard's Blackhawks (130 point player) to then go and face the Islanders, a team with multiple 130 point players, additional 100 point forwards, and a 100 point defenceman.  The Canucks got swept by the dynasty Islanders, arguably the best team in NHL history, and even after the sweep Richard Brodeur still led the entire NHL playoffs in save percentage, including the Islanders' Billy Smith.

He retired as the Canucks' career goaltending record holder in pretty much everything.  Kirk McLean passed those numbers the way Linden passed Smyl, but while Smyl is in the rafters...you have to look around for any proper respect for The King.

He was also one of the best goalies in WHA history, a member of the WHA Hall of Fame, he won the Quebec Nordiques the AVCO Cup (the WHA's Stanley Cup) against Bobby Hull's Winnipeg Jets in the final, and also got the Nordiques to another AVCO Cup final.  He was largely known as having the fastest glove in the WHA.  He was also the first ever Memorial Cup MVP trophy winner and his goaltending records from that Memorial Cup in the early 70s stood for something like 35 years.

The Canucks traded him to the Hartford Whalers late in his final season when he was about to retire.  He didn't ride off into the sunset without one last bit of playoff heroics though, as hockey's greatest underdog stepped in and got the Whalers a win against Patrick Roy's powerhouse Montreal Canadiens.

Long live the King!

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Uh oh...don't get me started...

Should have been the first guy in the Ring of Honor except for the fittingness of having the first captain Orland Kurtenbach break the ice.  Instead the King isn't even up there at all.

I've never seen anyone more singlehandedly take a team to the Stanley Cup final in all my years of watching hockey.  The King took the Canucks on his back, a team that had no 90 point players and had never had a 90 point player in its existence, and got them past Marcel Dionne's Kings (130 point player), Kent Nilsson's Flames (130 point player) and Denis Savard's Blackhawks (130 point player) to then go and face the Islanders, a team with multiple 130 point players, additional 100 point forwards, and a 100 point defenceman.  The Canucks got swept by the dynasty Islanders, arguably the best team in NHL history, and even after the sweep Richard Brodeur still led the entire NHL playoffs in save percentage, including the Islanders' Billy Smith.

He retired as the Canucks' career goaltending record holder in pretty much everything.  Kirk McLean passed those numbers the way Linden passed Smyl, but while Smyl is in the rafters...you have to look around for any proper respect for The King.

He was also one of the best goalies in WHA history, a member of the WHA Hall of Fame, he won the Quebec Nordiques the AVCO Cup (the WHA's Stanley Cup) against Bobby Hull's Winnipeg Jets in the final, and also got the Nordiques to another AVCO Cup final.  He was largely known as having the fastest glove in the WHA.  He was also the first ever Memorial Cup MVP trophy winner and his goaltending records from that Memorial Cup in the early 70s stood for something like 35 years.

The Canucks traded him to the Hartford Whalers late in his final season when he was about to retire.  He didn't ride off into the sunset without one last bit of playoff heroics though, as hockey's greatest underdog stepped in and got the Whalers a win against Patrick Roy's powerhouse Montreal Canadiens.

Long live the King!

This moment when Clouts was with the Rangers, seconds after pounding the Isles goalie into submission.

Absolutely loved this guy!

IMG_9691.gif

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This moment when Clouts was with the Rangers, seconds after pounding the Isles goalie into submission.

Absolutely loved this guy!

IMG_9691.gif

He frustrated me in a few playoff series but there's no doubt the guy had heart.  Never could criticize him in that area.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

That is all. :towel:

We should do Gino on the 66th day.  If I remember right, maybe in his first ever game, he skated out for the warmup against the Mario's Penguins with a #66 Canucks jersey and there was a spaz or two about it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2