Must be 44 by now.

bertuzzi_canucks.0.jpg&w=3840&q=75

vancouver-canucks-todd-bertuzzi-right-cr

maxresdefault.jpg

040319_bertuzzi.jpg

bertuzzi3.jpg

Give me MONEY!

todd-bertuzzi-canucks.jpg

44 to me has always been Dave Babych.  And not just me.  1st overall pick and 1400 NHL game defenseman Roman Hamrlik wore #44 for his entire career because when he was a kid he saw Dave Babych play for Canada at an international tournament...must have been a World Championships in the 80s.  Hamrlik was so wowed by Babych that he wore 44 himself for the rest of his playing days right to the end.  And Hamrlik was born in and was cheering for Czechoslovakia.

I remember an interview where Hamrlik was telling the story.  It was funny every time he said the name with his accent...  Dave Bah-beeech.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Clowning around: Fans in Canada are passionate about their game and their teams. It's no wonder one caller lost a little perspective and called the team for which he roots, the Vancouver Canucks, clowns. Injured defenseman Ed Jovanovski was at home when the remarks was aired. He was quick to phone the radio station.

"I just turned on the radio and heard this guy call my team a bunch of clowns," Jovanovski said. "This team is not a bunch of clowns. If this guy is a season ticket-holder, he can just go ahead and sell his season tickets. It's very unfair for guys to crucify (a team) when it's working hard."

(from https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/for-sharks-not-getting-fedorov-was-a-good-thing-2791483.php )

Too bad my photoshop skills suck.  Otherwise, right here would be an edited photo of a bunch of clowns with the west coast express, jovocop, and a few others' faces superimposed on the clowns.  🤡

• Vintage 2

Wowzer's. I forgot about this. Pretty cool. Sad about Ferland though. 

It's nostalgia vibe with Bo, Ferland and Jordy Benn reminds me of how bad things were; Covid, Green, Benning, just all around memories of mixed emotions.

Bummer. No Canucks games till Feb. 6 vs Canes. All Star weekend is no comparison.

• Vintage 2

On 1/17/2024 at 6:52 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

44 to me has always been Dave Babych.  And not just me.  1st overall pick and 1400 NHL game defenseman Roman Hamrlik wore #44 for his entire career because when he was a kid he saw Dave Babych play for Canada at an international tournament...must have been a World Championships in the 80s.  Hamrlik was so wowed by Babych that he wore 44 himself for the rest of his playing days right to the end.  And Hamrlik was born in and was cheering for Czechoslovakia.

I remember an interview where Hamrlik was telling the story.  It was funny every time he said the name with his accent...  Dave Bah-beeech.

Me too.   To the same degree, that when I see 16 on anyone else, it's Lindens number,  88 is Lindros number.    Bertuzzi wore it well too, like Babych, a big strong man.   Babych was my favourite defenseman soon after he arrived.   Even as a young lad, appreciated what he did  in WNP.    So was stoked to see one of my favourite sticker book players, circa 1981-1982, on the team a decade or so later.  He's still one of my all-time favourite Canucks. 

Babych was the second player to wear 44, but really the first to keep it, one other guy wore it just for a cup of coffee, then changed it... he inspired a lot of guys after that.   Pronger of course, also did it justice.   221 players now, have worn it at least once.   Babych and 44, is like Lindros and 88.  It's his number.    Not many players, have picked a number, and created that sort of legacy.     To this day, 44 reminds of Babych.   The same way Hedman and 77 reminds me of Ray Borque and Paul Coffey.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Me too.   To the same degree, that when I see 16 on anyone else, it's Lindens number,  88 is Lindros number.    Bertuzzi wore it well too, like Babych, a big strong man.   Babych was my favourite defenseman soon after he arrived.   Even as a young lad, appreciated what he did  in WNP.    So was stoked to see one of my favourite sticker book players, circa 1981-1982, on the team a decade or so later.  He's still one of my all-time favourite Canucks. 

Babych was the second player to wear 44, but really the first to keep it, one other guy wore it just for a cup of coffee, then changed it... he inspired a lot of guys after that.   Pronger of course, also did it justice.   221 players now, have worn it at least once.   Babych and 44, is like Lindros and 88.  It's his number.    Not many players, have picked a number, and created that sort of legacy.     To this day, 44 reminds of Babych.   The same way Hedman and 77 reminds me of Ray Borque and Paul Coffey. 

Yeah it was kind of weird and cool that Coffey and Bourque were neck and neck breaking all the career records and wearing the same uncommon number.

I think Coffey wore 78 when he was briefly a Bruin at the end.

44...  Also reminds of Pittsburgh's Rob Brown, one of the forgotten men to score >110 points in a season.  He was crushing it on those late 80s Penguins.  Then had a second career in the minors where he was >100 points a season or even flirting with two points per game year in and year out.  Made his way back to the NHL in the late 90s and was reasonably productive then too.  I think he does or did color commentary for the Oilers afterward.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 5:13 PM, Sativika said:

Wowzer's. I forgot about this. Pretty cool. Sad about Ferland though. 

It's nostalgia vibe with Bo, Ferland and Jordy Benn reminds me of how bad things were; Covid, Green, Benning, just all around memories of mixed emotions.

Bummer. No Canucks games till Feb. 6 vs Canes. All Star weekend is no comparison.

Man it was nice to see Gino take out one last opponent on the ice there.  Orland, Ronning, Babych...  This is one of the better promos that has been done.

The old guys stole the show.

• Jess unpinned this topic