Tyson Barrie

I've actually changed my mind a little bit on Barrie. If we're going to keep Hronek on PP1 Barrie could be a useful addition to run PP2. Something like Garland for Barrie at 50% retained would clear 2.7M in cap space and give us a better option than Myers for PP2.

When Soucy comes back we could rotate Barrie and Myers in and out of the lineup depending on whether we need more scoring or more physicality.

Of course, moving Garland risks ruining the effectiveness of the 3rd line and we would be relying on Ian Cole to play babysitter for Barrie at even-strength. So it wouldn't be without risk.

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I've actually changed my mind a little bit on Barrie. If we're going to keep Hronek on PP1 Barrie could be a useful addition to run PP2. Something like Garland for Barrie at 50% retained would clear 2.7M in cap space and give us a better option than Myers for PP2.

When Soucy comes back we could rotate Barrie and Myers in and out of the lineup depending on whether we need more scoring or more physicality.

Of course, moving Garland risks ruining the effectiveness of the 3rd line and we would be relying on Ian Cole to play babysitter for Barrie at even-strength. So it wouldn't be without risk.

Not a Barrie fan but I would do this if we could then flip Barrie after retaining a further 50 percent. Not sure that's allowed? Nothing against Garland, just would like top see some bigger wingers that can bang bodies on the Canucks. 

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Not a Barrie fan but I would do this if we could then flip Barrie after retaining a further 50 percent. Not sure that's allowed? Nothing against Garland, just would like top see some bigger wingers that can bang bodies on the Canucks. 

Yep, we can retain 50% again if we flip him. A few teams did this last trade deadline where the third party team received a low draft pick to retain cap.

• Cheers 1

If Nasville takes Garland off our hands and gives us Yakov Trenin as part of the deal, then I would take Barrie.  Trenin would replace Garland in our bottom 6 and Barrie can be our 8th Dman.  Could use him if either Hughes or Hronek get injured and he can run the power play...

Kuzmenko   Pettersson   Mikheyev

Hoglander   Miller            Boeser

Trenin          Suter            Lafferty

Joshua        Blueger        Karlsson

Aman

Hughes      Hronek

Zadorov     Cole

Soucy        Myers

Friedman   Barrie

Our bottom 6 looks alot better and much bigger...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Nasville takes Garland off our hands and gives us Yakov Trenin as part of the deal, then I would take Barrie.  Trenin would replace Garland in our bottom 6 and Barrie can be our 8th Dman.  Could use him if either Hughes or Hronek get injured and he can run the power play...

Aman

Hughes      Hronek

Zadorov     Cole

Soucy        Myers

Friedman   Barrie

If Nashville is willing to take on Garland straight up for Barrie I would take that and run to the bank with it.

Freeing up $5 million of cap space the next 2 seasons would be extremely valuable. We just saw how we land a #4/5 legit D for pennies on the dollar because we had cap space.

Also Barrie would be just fine here as a #7 with ability to slot in for Injuries. 

It would suck losing Garland from 3RW but, I feel it's bottom 6 wing will probably be the easiest roster spot to find a replacement for

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Aman

Hughes      Hronek

Zadorov     Cole

Soucy        Myers

Friedman   Barrie

Definitely, we have lots of size on the back end now. I think a bit of back up finesse is needed and Barrie can provide that in a sheltered role.

Trenin is the prize here. Great age and would fit with our group.

I also think Garland would thrive in Nashville and finally get a chance to be in the top 6 again.

edit: the bigger question, is Trenin a Millstein client!? Lol

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Definitely, we have lots of size on the back end now. I think a bit of back up finesse is needed and Barrie can provide that in a sheltered role.

Trenin is the prize here. Great age and would fit with our group.

I also think Garland would thrive in Nashville and finally get a chance to be in the top 6 again.

edit: the bigger question, is Trenin a Millstein client!? Lol

No, unfortunately...  😊

14 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Fuck it, 

To Van: Barrie 50% retained + Fabbro (both looking to be traded)

To Nsh: Garland + Myers

Bury Barrie.

Or something like that.

That... makes our team worse in my opinion. lol

Not to mention burying Barrie would only amount to 1mil cap relief if I'm not mistaken?

Edited by The Lock

On 12/4/2023 at 3:05 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Rather have Bear for free

On 12/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Bear over Barrie

Steve Carell Bear GIF

On 12/4/2023 at 8:13 PM, SilentSam said:

No.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:23 PM, lionized27 said:

Agree.

The Canucks need defense not defensive liabilities. 

'Nuff said!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Fuck it, 

To Van: Barrie 50% retained + Fabbro (both looking to be traded)

To Nsh: Garland + Myers

Bury Barrie.

Or something like that.

I would make this trade, but I am not sure that Nashville does. Garland for another 2 years at 5 million, could be a positive though if he plays well there and puts up points.

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Fabbro

Zadorov - Cole

- Barrie

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

That... makes our team worse in my opinion. lol

Not to mention burying Barrie would only amount to 1mil cap relief if I'm not mistaken?

This is more of a cap move, with the benefit of adding a young RHD at a low cap hit, who's set to be an RFA.

Yes, Barrie in the minors would save $1.15m, but at 50% retained, his effective cap hit would only be $1.1m. Even if we didn't get retention on the contract, and kept him up in the NHL, we would still have $4.3m in cap left to make a trade for a top 6 winger, or a 3C.

So yeah, maybe our roster up front looks thin after the trade, but it creates the cap space to improve. Like how we got Zadorov because we were the only team that could make the cap work.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:24 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Aman

Hughes      Hronek

Zadorov     Cole

Soucy        Myers

Friedman   Barrie

Problem is if he is traded hes going to a " better " fit than his current one in Nashville. That means not a depth or in and out of the lineup role. Falling in the Preds depth chart is why he's available via his agent to seek a better role. He will be worse off in Vancouver.

We already traded for a defenseman in Zadorov that wants more ice then he was getting and will probably see less with the Canucks.