Tyson Barrie

7 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

This is more of a cap move, with the benefit of adding a young RHD at a low cap hit, who's set to be an RFA.

Yes, Barrie in the minors would save $1.15m, but at 50% retained, his effective cap hit would only be $1.1m. Even if we didn't get retention on the contract, and kept him up in the NHL, we would still have $4.3m in cap left to make a trade for a top 6 winger, or a 3C.

So yeah, maybe our roster up front looks thin after the trade, but it creates the cap space to improve. Like how we got Zadorov because we were the only team that could make the cap work.

I just don't like the idea of getting cap space at the expense of our skill when we're currently looking like a playoff team for once. We need a reason to want that cap space at this point.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I just don't like the idea of getting cap space at the expense of our skill when we're currently looking like a playoff team for once. We need a reason to want that cap space at this point.

If Garland for Barrie was available I hope Allvin would do that. Then we get the cap wasted on Garden Gnome off the books end of this season. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Reason being that if someone like, say, Buchnevich becomes available we'd actually have the cap space to spend at the deadline instead of missing an opportunity on a good player because we couldn't clear it in time, and it wouldn't have to be a '$ in, $ out' trade, which would give us a leg up on the trade market. Also opens up another $4.95m for the offeason. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Garland for Barrie was available I hope Allvin would do that. Then we get the cap wasted on Garden Gnome off the books end of this season. 

You're still trading someone who can contribute and help the team in exchange for AHL trash.  That's not a good message to send to EP if you want to keep him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/6/2023 at 4:19 PM, Chickenspear said:

Reason being that if someone like, say, Buchnevich becomes available we'd actually have the cap space to spend at the deadline instead of missing an opportunity on a good player because we couldn't clear it in time, and it wouldn't have to be a '$ in, $ out' trade, which would give us a leg up on the trade market. Also opens up another $4.95m for the offeason. 

So I just realised something. You're asking Nashville to, not only take on the cap hits of Myers and Garland, but also take on 50% of Barrie's contract? So Nashville effectively takes on well over 10mil in cap space in the assumption that we're doing them a "favour". That's not us doing them a favour anymore. That's them doing US a favour. lol

Again, this makes our team worse and assumes that the GM of Nashville is an idiot. I just don't see Nashville even remotely wanting to do this. This would literally put Nashville up against the cap if they even have the cap space for all of this. This puts them in our current situation and all because Barrie wants out? If I were Nashville, I'd just keep Barrie at that point or look elsewhere.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

I want nothing to do with Barrie on this team. Total liability 5 on 5, and we don't need him for the PP.

Agreed. Just so many better options out there in my opinion that doesn't cost us as much in cap hit and actual defense.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Agreed. Just so many better options out there in my opinion that doesn't cost us as much in cap hit and actual defense.

You'd be better off calling up Woo from Abbotsford.  Barrie is worse than useless.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You'd be better off calling up Woo from Abbotsford.  Barrie is worse than useless.

I'd actually even prefer that since I want to see Woo be a successful prospect. That's much more exciting to me than seeing a declining dman who likely wouldn't even be in the lineup next year.

Pass on Barrie. 

Can't play defense to save his life, hard no

If Kuzmenko is in Tocchet's doghouse because he needs to play better defensively, where do you think Barrie lands? lol 

Wouldn't be the doghouse, it would be some other house.