[PGT] Canucks at Flames - F*** CBC Edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure it's based on what you expect from each player.   So.  If you made a graph from best to worst - it would look so different.   So much silly analytics these days, some caught on, some have not.   My suggestions is stick to the basic stats, and go from there.   And every single advanced stat, needs to be reflected based on quality of competition.   One of the best baselines is TOI.   That shows you, how much a coach trusts that player.   Separating EV, PK and PP also matters.    If a third line is playing against a top line ... and winning possession and is not a minus then great!    Excellent.   

Coaches used to ask anyone up against Mario and Gretzky just to try and tie him.   IF they could tie him, that was a huge win. 

thanks for that, the idea of being compared to themselves changes how you look at it for sure

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure it's based on what you expect from each player.   So.  If you made a graph from best to worst - it would look so different.   So much silly analytics these days, some caught on, some have not.   My suggestions is stick to the basic stats, and go from there.   And every single advanced stat, needs to be reflected based on quality of competition.   One of the best baselines is TOI.   That shows you, how much a coach trusts that player.   Separating EV, PK and PP also matters.    If a third line is playing against a top line ... and winning possession and is not a minus then great!    Excellent.   

Coaches used to ask anyone up against Mario and Gretzky just to try and tie him.   IF they could tie him, that was a huge win. 

For a change I thought the team bailed Demko out last night instead of the standard reverse scenario. That said a pretty solid effort. Zad looked pretty good and fans should be excited about what he will bring. Obvious that the vision of what this club will be resides in a capable brain trust. IMHO what has to happen is less TOI for Hughes and Hronek. Sure game situational but in April these two will drive this team. Rest them when you can. I'll save my standard ++ for Juulson in his thread.  

• Vintage 3
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I doubt he gets any less than around $ 4m per as a free agent. Anything less in thd form of an extension with the Canucks would be a " home town discount ".

I think people are forgetting he's 34 in February. This right now is peak Myers. We can replace him with far less.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

For a change I thought the team bailed Demko out last night instead of the standard reverse scenario. That said a pretty solid effort. Zad looked pretty good and fans should be excited about what he will bring. Obvious that the vision of what this club will be resides in a capable brain trust. IMHO what has to happen is less TOI for Hughes and Hronek. Sure game situational but in April these two will drive this team. Rest them when you can. I'll save my standard ++ for Juulson in his thread.  

Tocchet said he’s got control the ice time of our top guys, especially Hughes and Hronek. We saw that in this win. H and H were in the 22 minute area. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

No disrespect, but I am not a Drance lover. Dance either states the obvious or is wrong half the time. To be honest he kind of annoys me. But each to their own. I always ask the question, well, if everything is so bad, then how did they win? It wasn't Demko, which is usually how they steel games so exactly how? It is a 60 minute game and it is the micro mistakes that kill you.....Calgary is playing above 500 hockey since their slow start, yet we won...I ask how if All is so bad.

Drance doesn't see things within the confines of a 60 min game on its own though 

He normally sees how a game or series of games could translate to an 82 game schedule or even beyond. 

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Was listening to Drance and Dodd on Sportsnet 650.The problem isn't teams win ugly games. It's that the Canucks haven't played well for awhile now. The only good game Canucks had since the last Edmonton win was the Montreal game.

I thought they were pretty good against Seattle? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet said he’s got control the ice time of our top guys, especially Hughes and Hronek. We saw that in this win. H and H were in the 22 minute area. 

Yeah in a normal game I'd say we should be setting the limit for those two around 24/25? Don't want them creeping on 30 every damn game! 22 seems perfect. Hope Myers / Zadorov can eat close to 20 mins(17) , once Soucy comes back him and Cole can eat up 20. It's the most balanced D pairs we've had since 2010. 

Sucks Myers was in the net, I think that goal hit his stick no before it went in? Was all tangled up with Demko. Was gonna go in anyways... Jumbled up play there but still Myers has gotta stay out of his goalies way more. If he can simplify it again we're in good shape! But he's gotta go next year lol

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah in a normal game I'd say we should be setting the limit for those two around 24/25? Don't want them creeping on 30 every damn game! 22 seems perfect. Hope Myers / Zadorov can eat close to 20 mins(17) , once Soucy comes back him and Cole can eat up 20. It's the most balanced D pairs we've had since 2010. 

Sucks Myers was in the net, I think that goal hit his stick no before it went in? Was all tangled up with Demko. Was gonna go in anyways... Jumbled up play there but still Myers has gotta stay out of his goalies way more. If he can simplify it again we're in good shape! But he's gotta go next year lol

Myers didn't do anything wrong on that play.  In fact, he almost made a great play on a lucky bounce off the back boards.  

• Upvote 2

Pettersson may be coming around now; That probably means getting over a minor injury, one that wasn't going to get worse by playing.

Injury could mean the flu or practically anything. He's playing harder every game now though, and that means two scoring lines again.

Doubt we can truly have serious playoff aspirations without that. 

Not complaining but we still have to develop a true killer instinct that can literally pick up an extra win vs any team in the league, at any given time.

Last nights game was great but the truth is, it should not have even been close. The previous game vs the Knights, for lack of a better phrase, 

pissed me off. We played like we knew it would be a loss. I hate it when that happens. Ah well; Not as much as it use to..

Onwards / Upwards.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

One thing I don’t see people discussing is how hard calgary played- I mean they obviously didn’t want Zadorov to win his revenge game 

Thats probs top 3 best efforts from their season 

juulsen is very physical, slow a foot and not clever or quick enough with getting pucks out 

Myers played too much - hoping his minutes go down with big Z here 

Soucy and Suter make a difference but Zad and Cole were good - Cole is so so solid and dependable even at making hard plays 

Aman, Karlsson we’re solid 

boy- Toch sure had faith in Karlsson playing him on the 2nd PPnijit at times and had him out there with less than 3 min left taking d zone draws with Aman 

Petey had his best game in past month - he controlled things when on ice - howitzer of a slapper on PP off bar - if that  goes in it’s the talk of the town 

Miller played well defensively maybe a bit unlucky to not get more production from his line 

I love Lafferty with Petey and milky for now- esp against calgary 

tanev is still great defensively and you could tell was getting up for this game 

Edited by canucks curse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yup. When we are up H and H will get less minutes. If we are chasing then they will get more. Myers, Z, Cole, and Soucy (when back) will get the most minutes at the ends of games we are leading. 

35 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Pettersson may be coming around now; That probably means getting over a minor injury, one that wasn't going to get worse by playing.

Injury could mean the flu or practically anything. He's playing harder every game now though, and that means two scoring lines again.

Doubt we can truly have serious playoff aspirations without that. 

Not complaining but we still have to develop a true killer instinct that can literally pick up an extra win vs any team in the league, at any given time.

Last nights game was great but the truth is, it should not have even been close. The previous game vs the Knights, for lack of a better phrase, 

pissed me off. We played like we knew it would be a loss. I hate it when that happens. Ah well; Not as much as it use to..

Onwards / Upwards.....

Very well said, agree with all of it. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wow.

Canucks fans complaining after a win.

Who? Point them out! I complain more than the average fan, but even I'm not complaining about this win!

Well maybe about the shite reffing, but not the team.

An away game against a division rival that's on a bit of a hot streak. With a number of injured canucks, and drama surrounding a brand new Zadorov who has only practiced once with his new team? And we win?

Nothing to complain about here!

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Watched the game late last night.  They played about 20 mins of terrible hockey, 30 mins of good hockey and 10 mins of excellent hockey.

Petey's line finally had some jump and Petey, himself finally looked more engaged.  

Kuz has a strong game, but Miller and Boes weren't great, overall.  Again, both get a pass because they've been solid to this point.

The Blueger line was good again, and the swedish line was great as well.

The double H's were solid, Zmyers and Zad were also good.  Juuls had a bad giveaway and an untimely penalty (though hard to blame him for that one), but he also made some solid plays.

The special teams were weak and they really need to address this because they can't afford to give up PP goals if they're not scoring them.

Demko was Demko 

I do think they're very passive in their own end, but I think that's what Tocchet wants to see.  I'd like to see them more aggressive, but I'm not the coach.

All in all an ok game and they picked up a huge two points.

A good, accurate take. Sums it up nicely. There was good and bad but we got the two points. 

• Upvote 1

Last 2 wins were ugly grinding games. 
‘Nice to see that we can win these types of games too. 
‘Hopefully the team finds it’s way back to the sort of well coached team they were starting to look like before the tough November stretch especially with some added depth and size on the D. 
‘If they do sign Bear they will have 7 legit NHL D and Juulsen.  

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

They're 4 points behind us 7 pts behind VGK

They have 5 games in hand..

LA.     .725 p%

VGK   .720 p%

VAN   .660 p%

Maths

I understand math.. but your counting your chickens too early my friend. Only scenario where winning percentage gets you into the playoffs is if another pandemic happens.

Until then LA needs to win those games in hand, and they will need to do it with a tougher schedule than they've had.

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I understand math.. but your counting your chickens too early my friend. Only scenario where winning percentage gets you into the playoffs is if another pandemic happens.

Until then LA needs to win those games in hand, and they will need to do it with a tougher schedule than they've had.

Also we haven't played them yet. Those are all " 4 pt games" 

Hopefully we channel our inner Edmonton game and win our games in regulation 

• Cheers 1