[PGT] Canucks at Flames - F*** CBC Edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Pettersson may be coming around now; That probably means getting over a minor injury, one that wasn't going to get worse by playing.

Injury could mean the flu or practically anything. He's playing harder every game now though, and that means two scoring lines again.

Doubt we can truly have serious playoff aspirations without that. 

Not complaining but we still have to develop a true killer instinct that can literally pick up an extra win vs any team in the league, at any given time.

Last nights game was great but the truth is, it should not have even been close. The previous game vs the Knights, for lack of a better phrase, 

pissed me off. We played like we knew it would be a loss. I hate it when that happens. Ah well; Not as much as it use to..

Onwards / Upwards.....

I don't think there was an injury, if anything he might have been getting over a respiratory illness or something.  I know it's taken me well over a month to recover from being sick in late September.  Low energy, cardio issues etc would all make sense.  Personally, I think he's just having a confidence problem

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not complaining, it's more curiosity. Why have some teams played 5-6 games less than others/us? I mean, there's an even number of teams in the league...not sure this should be the case.

We've had to grind it out from the start when players were coming off summer and a little rusty. Hadn't had a whole lot of practice time and familiarity. Fatigue factor and risk of injury maybe a bit more prevalent because players aren't as "game ready" as they are further on in the schedule. Not as conditioned to the gruelling pace straight out of the gate. Over time, it adds up and injuries start to factor in.

Luckily, we did have a great start and built up a bit of a buffer. Can ease off a bit (a dangerous mentality that I hope the team doesn't adopt) as the schedule eases a it. But sometimes when you're in a groove it puts you off stride (not saying that's the case).

Other teams got to ease in but will now have to up their games. But they've built up to that and it's not just thrown into the deep end. Have more of an idea of what they're up against as the dust settles in the league and they've had a good look at other teams. 

We had "easy" games/wins according to some but I don't know that I agree. No one knew Edmonton was going to suck at the start...and they're certainly starting to turn things around and hit their stride. 

Just wonder why it is that the schedules vary so much. Teams with games in hand have a good idea of what they have to do and how much ground they need to make up. Not that it would likely change the perspective....win is the theme. But subconsciously they know they're fighting for spots and maybe this team was letting the foot off the gas a bit as others are fighting hard for every point. That's on a team for sure...can't get comfortable. But after having grinded it out so much, maybe a bit of an exhale is warranted and it's not that they don't care, it's just that they're depleted and a bit beat up. I think we saw some of that.

People are quick to assess this team as "this" or "that" but it all matters. Win games, even if they're not pretty. In the end, that's what matters. By the time playoffs hit, it's a fresh slate and survival of the fittest. People talk about this team not being able to contend in the playoffs but I don't buy that. You just need to find ways to win and they're learning that. 

My guess is that it's the League's way of returning the favour for playing overseas.  Though the Coyotes are now at 23 games played vs. LA's 20, and the Coyotes were the opposing team down under.  For reference, Minny is at 21 gp (I think they played in Sweden?), while the other 3 teams that played in Sweden are at least at 23 gp at this point. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not complaining, it's more curiosity. Why have some teams played 5-6 games less than others/us? I mean, there's an even number of teams in the league...not sure this should be the case.

We've had to grind it out from the start when players were coming off summer and a little rusty. Hadn't had a whole lot of practice time and familiarity. Fatigue factor and risk of injury maybe a bit more prevalent because players aren't as "game ready" as they are further on in the schedule. Not as conditioned to the gruelling pace straight out of the gate. Over time, it adds up and injuries start to factor in.

Luckily, we did have a great start and built up a bit of a buffer. Can ease off a bit (a dangerous mentality that I hope the team doesn't adopt) as the schedule eases a it. But sometimes when you're in a groove it puts you off stride (not saying that's the case).

Other teams got to ease in but will now have to up their games. But they've built up to that and it's not just thrown into the deep end. Have more of an idea of what they're up against as the dust settles in the league and they've had a good look at other teams. 

We had "easy" games/wins according to some but I don't know that I agree. No one knew Edmonton was going to suck at the start...and they're certainly starting to turn things around and hit their stride. 

Just wonder why it is that the schedules vary so much. Teams with games in hand have a good idea of what they have to do and how much ground they need to make up. Not that it would likely change the perspective....win is the theme. But subconsciously they know they're fighting for spots and maybe this team was letting the foot off the gas a bit as others are fighting hard for every point. That's on a team for sure...can't get comfortable. But after having grinded it out so much, maybe a bit of an exhale is warranted and it's not that they don't care, it's just that they're depleted and a bit beat up. I think we saw some of that.

People are quick to assess this team as "this" or "that" but it all matters. Win games, even if they're not pretty. In the end, that's what matters. By the time playoffs hit, it's a fresh slate and survival of the fittest. People talk about this team not being able to contend in the playoffs but I don't buy that. You just need to find ways to win and they're learning that. 

The schedule is random.  Sure, 25 games to date is the most in the league and 19 is the least (Ottawa).  There are 5 teams with 25 games and a bunch with 24.  Also, there is only 1 with 19 and 1 with 20 (LA)

Every team has their rough spots in terms of number of games and difficult competition.  The Canucks can look forward to months with fewer games than some of the other teams.  At least they've had a pretty good record to date.  Note that Vegas, another team with 25 games has also dropped games to Anaheim and Chicago

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The schedule is random.  Sure, 25 games to date is the most in the league and 19 is the least (Ottawa).  There are 5 teams with 25 games and a bunch with 24.  Also, there is only 1 with 19 and 1 with 20 (LA)

Every team has their rough spots in terms of number of games and difficult competition.  The Canucks can look forward to months with fewer games than some of the other teams.  At least they've had a pretty good record to date.  Note that Vegas, another team with 25 games has also dropped games to Anaheim and Chicago

Also it's probably not easy to schedule 82 regular season games for 32 teams in a span of 5 1/2 months. 

It's a lot of collaboration with the Arena, TV affiliates, NHL teams, Airlines and Hotels 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think there was an injury, if anything he might have been getting over a respiratory illness or something.  I know it's taken me well over a month to recover from being sick in late September.  Low energy, cardio issues etc would all make sense.  Personally, I think he's just having a confidence problem

Certainly a distinct possibility. Confidence drop offs happen for a spell happen to them all. Sometimes out of nowhere and no reason.

20 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Certainly a distinct possibility. Confidence drop offs happen for a spell happen to them all. Sometimes out of nowhere and no reason.

They mentioned him battling something and I really believe there is/was something. My guess was groin but he also was seen taping his wrist. He takes a bit of a beating out there so there's no reason to think he didn't have something "bugging" him but not enough to keep him out of the lineup. He's missed games in the past and I feel like he likely gets to weigh in, at least to some degree, on if he plays or sits. Especially as he's entering negotiations...want to keep him happy (and healthy).

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Pears said:

Also, how many times did Singh manage to mistake another player for Hughes? I noticed that at least twice in the third alone.  

Right? How do you mistake him for Juls lol. Because they both have a jersey with a 4 on it? Singh is such a bozo. 

12 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

My assessment of this team would be taken serious if this team started to slip out of the playoffs and below .500  

Well people that is where this team is headed into January if they can't clean up their defensive zone structures. This team also takes bad penalties almost on a nightly bases. I know this fan base likes to blame the refs but it is on the players to not slash and trip their opponents. But it happens because this team is always a step behind 

2 statements that is very unlikely to happen... and as they say, 2 wrongs doesn't make a right.

How about you come back with your drivel, once this team goes below .500...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yes. Is that a real question?

Yes 

you said trade Myers after signing bear and I said that would leave only bear and hronek as legit rhd. Juulsen and friedman would be other rhd but they aren’t top 6 nhl defenders for a playoff team. Unless I am misunderstanding something here

Just now, Mordekai said:

Yes 

you said trade Myers after signing bear and I said that would leave only bear and hronek as legit rhd. Juulsen and friedman would be other rhd but they aren’t top 6 nhl defenders for a playoff team. Unless I am misunderstanding something here

Tocchet does prefer guys on their natural side, but Cole, Z, and Soucy have all played their off side. 

Good solid game and good win but we probably should have cleaned up some of their goals a bit better. They got lucky with the bounce off the boards but Demko was swimming pretty badly on one of them. Nevertheless get the big win but made it look harder than it probably should have been.

33 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

There would be less of a problem if you just said it once or twice…all you do is bitch about defence and structure and blame Toc over and over. Holy shit we get it. You’re stuck in a loop man.

It’s annoying as hell.

Sure defensively we need to tighten up

But it’s also just a fucking sports game and most people don’t let it ruin their lives…which I feel like you may be flying too close to the sun on this one. Chill out it’s a hockey game

Wins and loses happen. It’s your choice to be a fan or not but at the end of the day why let it ruin your day? You have no control over this issue at all…other than fuck off and not pay money into it…which i’d gladly love to see you do

Freshen up, chill out, take a breath, come back and discuss things like an adult and then people may take you more seriously 

Cheers all the best…or not your choice

Good on calling him/her/that/them/those/they out. It’s like they think we’ve had a winning team over the last decade and expect a perfect game night in and night out. I bet they have a jersey of every championship winning team in their close. I’m happy where this team is at and the direction they are headed. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet does prefer guys on their natural side, but Cole, Z, and Soucy have all played their off side. 

Exactly! So if god forbids anything happens to hronek or bear. I rather see Myers over juulsen or friedman as the second pair rhd.

anyway no way allvin trades Myers without two more rhd replacement not named friedman or juulsen since juulsen is painful to watch and shouldn’t be a top 6 for this team

• ThereItIs 1