[PGT] Canucks at Flames - F*** CBC Edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Marky still has a soft spot for me. He had a tough year as he lost his Dad and of course his game turned brutal on him. There was never any doubt in my mind that it was Demko to keep. My upset with Marky was he walked for free. The he took Tanev! Ok maybe my soft spot is misplaced! IMHO Demko is the better mechanical tender. Marky relies on getting fired up to play a great game. Not sure how far that takes him in CUP play. 

I felt the same up until last night. Petey really deserves his respect...but maybe that's what we saw when he reacted to him. Knew how lethal he is and was taking him seriously. 

I just didn't like it much. He's turning into a full fledged dirty Flame.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I felt the same up until last night. Petey really deserves his respect...but maybe that's what we saw when he reacted to him. Knew how lethal he is and was taking him seriously. 

If I’m honest I kind of liked it. Pissed Petey off and a reminder that there are no friends in a game. Sparked a bit of fire in him which seemed to show in his goal celly.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

I just can't understand the doomers this season. We're vastly improved in roster, systems and results but the incessant whining does not stop. Some posters even praised and defended that 2021 coach and are now criticizing 2023 coach. 

Must be fun at parties..

Screenshot_20231203-132354.png

Screenshot_20231203-132419.png

Screenshot_20231203-132447.png

We’ve certainly lost the mojo from the beginning of the season, but going .500 the last 10-12 or so games and avoiding a real skid has actually been a major plus for me. Treading water is much preferable to sinking like we see in these previous starts.

The travel / condensed game schedule has been tough even if the opponents haven’t all been contender level.

Petey clearly working through something (and hopefully on the other side of it based on last night.)

Losing Suter hits harder than we realize, likely on the PK and especially with Bleuger not having a proper start to the season. 

And most importantly, IMO, Soucy going down exposed the obvious lack of depth on the back end. Something we recently rectified.

And that’s just it.. we weren’t going to barnstorm the league for 82 games. Injuries, fatigue and lack of practice time are taking some toll here but we’re keeping our heads above water - and actually avoiding a lot of extra wear and tear by avoiding OT results. 

I think we’ll get back into a groove sooner or later. Zadorov and Petey feeling it again should really help.

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

And they played 3 less games than us through October-November. 

Screenshot_20231203-141505.png

People often use the "all teams will" (experience the same)...when referencing the schedule and how fatigue factors in.

With scheduling and officiating too ("all teams experience it").

But the key point is the timing in it all. Matters.

Sure, refs may "even out" calls .... but momentum may have already shifted and it's too little too late at times. Same with the schedule....some teams ease in, get a lot of practice time in at home and get to pick up the pace as they go along. Others have to hit the ground running. 

It WILL even out....we'll get to rest more as others endure stretches that are a grind.  That's why it's too early to assess anyone...wait until it all levels out to see who's where. Some of the teams with games in hand might not fare so well if they hit the wall or have injuries come into play. The what if's also apply to them.

25 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It wont take Markstrom  anywhere in Cup play thats why the Canucks chose Demko 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Ben Dover said:

It wont take Markstrom  anywhere in Cup play thats why the Canucks chose Demko 

Yes, I agree.

Much more even keeled....calm, cool, collected even as the heat turns up. Doesn't usually get rattled...gets better.

3 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

But it is happening game in game out the Canucks are not showing the compete level of a sustainable playoff team

That would be assuming at 10 3 and 1 mark which is where they started to slide a bit. That it was some sort of cakewalk up to that point. I’m quit sure there was conserted  effort put into those games. Couple that with no injuries at the time and now we have AHL personnel replacing nhl personnel.  Wouldn’t That have something to do with it?  As well as the team as a whole showing some level of wear ?

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, chaoticmonkey said:

The PK has been going downhill since Motte left. Bring him back for the 4th line.

Love(d) Motter, but I don’t see a spot for him here.  He’s just a little too small with  Garland and Hogz here who bring that intensity but with more skill to the bottom 6. Maybe if one of them got a promotion to the top 6 it would work, but the top 6 needs more size too.

He’s a pk ace, so that could help, but Miller Petey, and a good faceoff guy with Joshua is solid.  Not sure what the pk issues are atm but i don’t think it’s a winger.

18 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Soucy bear is just fine for a 3rd pair

Maybe a bit expensive?

$3.25m + $2.20m  = $5.45m.

Soucy + Bear's 2022-23 season ($1.82m paid by the Canucks; he's now a UFA).

No injury updates on Bear on capfriendly, but if the 6 months estimated Jun 14 is still valid, he may be healthy soon.

He is somewhat accustomed to 10% raises I assume.. so $2.5m for Bear?

$5.75m for the 3rd pair?  Seems high to me; is it?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Maybe a bit expensive?

$3.25m + $2.20m  = $5.45m.

Soucy + Bear's 2022-23 season ($1.82m paid by the Canucks; he's now a UFA).

No injury updates on Bear on capfriendly, but if the 6 months estimated Jun 14 is still valid, he may be healthy soon.

He is somewhat accustomed to 10% raises I assume.. so $2.5m for Bear?

$5.75m for the 3rd pair?  Seems high to me; is it?

Don't think Bear will cost that much. He'll probably be around the 1-1.5m range

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Drance doesn't see things within the confines of a 60 min game on its own though 

He normally sees how a game or series of games could translate to an 82 game schedule or even beyond. 

It is not that I totally disagree, but if you look how far we have traveled in one year, it is impressive. 

• Cheers 1