[PGT] Canucks at Flames - F*** CBC Edition

Roger Neilsons Towel

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

3rd in the Pacific faces one of Vegas or LA in the 1st round. Tough matchup but you gotta beat the best to be the best. 

We are either going to face Vegas, LA, Dallas or COL.   Won't be easy any way you slice it.   The best they can try and do, is get home ice. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   EDM is 7-3 last ten games ... won the last four.   Winning all 6 of a possible 6 points against them can't be swept into, they "aren't a playoff team".   Their past four years says otherwise.   Like saying Vegas was "done for" because they spent half the season with their best players the year before they won a cup.    EDM is not an "easy" win, because they are lower in the standings.    

Do agree we have struggled since Soucy went down.   Our D depth got a big boost.    Literally and figuratively. 

As for LA   Nobody had us ahead of them to start the year.   They did exactly what JB should have tried harder to do but couldn't accomplish.   This is their rebuild/re-tool "bump".   Did they do enough for it to last post Doughty and Kopitar?   Don't think so, but they aren't a team to ignore either.   

McBaby, despite his crying, is still good enough to will his team to some regular season wins.  But that goaltending/defense ain't going to get you anywhere in the post-season.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

McBaby, despite his crying, is still good enough to will his team to some regular season wins.  But that goaltending/defense ain't going to get you anywhere in the post-season.

So far second rounds only.   I personally don't see them as a contender unless they can acquire top ten goaltending.   Which they don't have.     They are a more truculent nasty version of TO really.   That's about it. 

They have some solid pieces upfront, and their D isn't as bad as it was.   Hyman, RNH, Kane.    So far, they haven't had to try and win without their top crown jewels.   

Haven't liked EDM since 1990.   Although did feel for them, they've also suffered.   And that had a lot more to do with their players than anything else.    Pronger and Ryan Smyth was a brief romance but it was brief.   Have zero interest in them winning a cup, other than if they are the last Canadian team standing.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Despite wins or losses, I thought they showed really well against Florida, Colorado st Louis, Dallas, NYR, and NYI. 

Only real stinkers against playoff teams were the vegas game and Toronto game. 

I'm looking forward to a better rested and healthier team after Christmas with more practice time under their belts to regain their sharpness. All that travel has really eliminated practice time as they have gotten away from their 'staples" as RT puts it. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that we looked really sharp at the beginning of the year after a good training camp and lots of practice time. Even RT commented that the team seems to need practice time to stay sharp. Hopefully this home stand allows that. 

As stated above, not having Suter and Soucy available against the AVs and LVGKs made it tough on us. Both teams have a lot of size, and use it to control the slot/in front of the net. In addition, they just dominated us in the FO circle. Though still lacking a Top6 with great size in the fwd group, having Soucy and Zadorov will greatly improve our chances against those big skilled clubs, in addition to Suters FO %.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We had the toughest schedule in the league right out of the gate. We basically started with a 5 game eastern swing, and then consistently had back to backs, 3 in 4s, while other teams we were playing were rested and hadn't played a single back to back yet. We only got lucky that in the eastern canada swing, we were playing teams on back ends of back to backs as well. 

A lot of teams are about to have terrible schedules, because these kinds of things balance themselves out. We will then be fresh, and accumulate important points there. The fact we even stayed .500 in this tough stretch is something I'm proud of. In prior years, that would be the point of no return. 

Very well put HTB....

Definitely agree 100% on that.

I think, the fact we can in to start the league in top condition this season game us a leg up on a lot of our rivals... and rightfully so.

During the season all team has ups and down, and the teams with the least up/downs goes through to playoffs. Same as with injuries...

It is a massive advantage to get going straight from the start, and yes the team should be proud of, how well they started this season. 

We all know only too well, what chasing the entire season looks like...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Very well put HTB....

I think, the fact we can in to start the league in top condition this season game us a leg up on a lot of our rivals... and rightfully so.

During the season all team has ups and down, and the teams with the least up/downs goes through to playoffs. Same as with injuries...

It is a massive advantage to get going straight from the start, and yes the team should be proud of, how well they started this season. 

The crappy starting schedules have been a thing for the Canucks the last few years. The fact that they came into last season out of shape and not in sync just buried them early on. This was further compounded by playing a helter skelter system. RTs requirement to be in shape coming into camp can not be understated.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Very well put HTB....

It's refreshing to say the least, the team didn't have an easy travel schedule, or teams on "paper" to start their season.  

That's for sure on the coaching staff.   Looking and Brock when he came to camp (yes know folks were freaking out at our pre-season, but like fantasy pools, if you pick the winners and avoid the losers, your pools going to suck pretty hard), and EP actually adding some solid pounds to his frame ... Tochett and Co pushed the right buttons.    

This team was ranked 6th in our division by THN/SN going into the season.    NHL.com did at least give us the "dark horse" ranking for the West.   As in the team that could make it work, and guess what, Tochett was a huge part of that.    

Maybe the best start in club history created some false impressions.   Also pretty sure quite a few of us said at the time it's not sustainable.   We are NOT the 70's habs, the 80's Islanders or Oilers or the 90's Pens, Avs or Wings.    Maybe we can be something special.   Need a couple seasons of special first.   Not a quarter of a season. 

The goal is the playoffs.   Allvin is creating a better playoff team without hindering our chances of making the show, at least so far.   

Wouldn't be too hard on the team if we miss by a couple points either.   Why?  That is actually following the script.   

Edit:  Things aren't so bad.   Last year had huge expectations.   This year not many.   They've done very well.   Also won't get too excited until it's March and we have a big lead.  Like the one we have now. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

As stated above, not having Suter and Soucy available against the AVs and LVGKs made it tough on us. Both teams have a lot of size, and use it to control the slot/in front of the net. In addition, they just dominated us in the FO circle. Though still lacking a Top6 with great size in the fwd group, having Soucy and Zadorov will greatly improve our chances against those big skilled clubs, in addition to Suters FO %.

Agreed. 

Inserting Zadorov will pay immediate dividends and stop the bleeding. 

Juulsen and Friedman  are playing well but should be 7D at best. 

Fact of the matter is, losing a 5D (Soucy) and a 3C (Suter) should not have resulted in such a drop in play however, the Canucks (the way this team is constructed) was really relying on their committee of 4-5Ds /Soucy, Cole, Myers) to hold the fort while their 2 elite d men (Hughes and Hronek) drove the play. 

As soon as one of the links broke (Soucy), there wasn't enough depth to keep going and the d corps turned into a fire drill with Hughes and Hronek playing 28+ min a night, Myers and Cole leading their 7D and 8D partners in Friedman and Juulsen. Myers should not be a leader of anything. Even Cole started making mistakes with added responsibility, minutes and having to carry a partner. 

Adding Zadorov should get us back to our defence playing to pre Soucy injury levels (which is pretty darn good).

This allows us to hide / shelter one of Juulsen or Friedman on the bottom pairing. 

Once Soucy comes back, there really isn't a weak link on D unless another injury occurs) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's refreshing to say the least, the team didn't have an easy travel schedule, or teams on "paper" to start their season.  

That's for sure on the coaching staff.   Looking and Brock when he came to camp (yes know folks were freaking out at our pre-season, but like fantasy pools, if you pick the winners and avoid the losers, your pools going to suck pretty hard), and EP actually adding some solid pounds to his frame ... Tochett and Co pushed the right buttons.    

This team was ranked 6th in our division by THN/SN going into the season.    NHL.com did at least give us the "dark horse" ranking for the West.   As in the team that could make it work, and guess what, Tochett was a huge part of that.    

Maybe the best start in club history created some false impressions.   Also pretty sure quite a few of us said at the time it's not sustainable.   We are NOT the 70's habs, the 80's Islanders or Oilers or the 90's Pens, Avs or Wings.    Maybe we can be something special.   Need a couple seasons of special first.   Not a quarter of a season. 

The goal is the playoffs.   Allvin is creating a better playoff team without hindering our chances of making the show, at least so far.   

Wouldn't be too hard on the team if we miss by a couple points either.   Why?  That is actually following the script.   

Edit:  Things aren't so bad.   Last year had huge expectations.   This year not many.   They've done very well.   Also won't get too excited until it's March and we have a big lead.  Like the one we have now. 

This is a team still developing into the team Tocchet wants...

Its not all about winning every single game, although it great as a fan, but moulding the team in to a team that is able to play come play offs time... 

Bruins looked like the certain champs last season... it doesn't work like that...

I'm just really happy, that we seem to be on the right road...

Can I just add here, that a lot of credit has to go to Patrick Allvin, for the job he has done, giving Tocchet and his ass. coaches the right tools to work with.

There is still a few wants (I guess), but he has definitely gotten players in that fills their defined roles, at far better value for money, while fitting the system they are trying to implement... Keep up the good work Allvin. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's been a while since I had to think about it 

Won't be an easy out.   If anything, maybe the best we can hope for, is Talbot stops doing his thing,  PLD goes down or something.    Then maybe EDM crawls back and we get them to start.    Home ice for sure will matter.   First overall in the division is a bit too much to hope for. 

Edit:  Well actually playoffs for us is still something to hope for.   Just have a head start.  Will be happy with that. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've been a big proponent of moving Garland but he's played really well this year I must admit, and has finally found an actual role. Cap is way to much for that role but I agree if we're moving him it should be to improve the team. If we get a decent offer you also have to think about the future though as well. Ultimately I still believe that money will be needed to improve the team in the future unless we move Boeser or something. We are currently a pretty good team but not without some areas that need improvement, like our top/middle 6.

Almost certain, as soon as Alvin finds the appropriate deal, one that will help this team, not just for the now but the long term future, he'll trade Garland.

Dudes been playing extremely well this year to date, so in reality, we can wait till the TD if we want. 

I don't think we necessarily have to go after another hulking fighter type that will screw us up in say the fourth round of the playoffs <sarcasm>,

We do, ideally, want three lines that can score; To some degree, Garland has been so so effective, as he should be with his paycheck. To small though

does draw penalties but NHL officials are zeroing in on that now. 

every line should have one player capable of big body checks and be a shit disturber😬 

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, stawns said:

While intend to agree, we've also seen Tocchet stay very static through this very inconsistent, sometimes very poor olsy by the team.  When it was clear that lines were not working and stagnating, he didn't do anything other than sit the occassional player.  

That said, that's most likely him trying to let them work things out on their own, but they sacrificed some easier points during this stretch while he did that.  I was very happy to see him mix things up, but his refusal to keep hogz down is baffling to me

If there’s one thing about Tocchet’s approach that I’m having confusion about, it’s Hoglander.

Nils has been a firecracker out there. Playing all out every shift. He might be exactly what Elias needs to get going. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is a team still developing into the team Tocchet wants...

Its not all about winning every single game, although it great as a fan, but moulding the team in to a team that is able to play come play offs time... 

Bruins looked like the certain champs last season... it doesn't work like that...

I'm just really happy, that we seem to be on the right road...

Can I just add here, that a lot of credit has to go to Patrick Allvin, for the job he has done, giving Tocchet and his ass. coaches the right tools to work with.

There is still a few wants (I guess), but he has definitely gotten players in that fills their defined roles, at far better value for money, while fitting the system they are trying to implement... Keep up the good work Allvin. 

Last time we needed a D, it came late and it was Dermott (around the same time of the season).   This time we got Zadarov.   For sure Allvin has done a great job.   Wow really.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

As long as they beat teams below then on a regular basis, I think they'll be ok.  Edmonton is the team we should be concerned about.  There's a lot of hockey left to play and they seem to have sorted their game out

Yup, Edmonton is coming like a sun of a gun. They're only 6 points back with a game in hand. They could be very tough if they get on a roll. Especially with the us vs world feeling they must have.