[GDT] New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks | Dec 5th @ Rogers Arena - 7pm PT/10pm ET| [The Hughes Brothers Edition]

John.Tallhouse

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

In my defense, that last goal came as I was hitting send, 🤣 

That fair. And I approve of your optimism. Just don't see it. 

Love to be proven wrong, but this team can't even start the game with energy and emotion. I can't see them just randomly finding it 2/3rds of the way into a bad game.

Just now, 1-d said:

In the midst of this team playing uninspiring .500 hockey over the past 10 games, #40 is practically doing nothing.

Whether it's physical or mental Petey is not 100% and when he's not the usual dominant self, this team goes nowhere.

We've been able to keep the 3rd spot in the division only because the other Pacific teams like SEA, CGY and EDM are still struggling. If one of them gets really hot down the stretch our playoffs hope may not be so safe as it looks now.

Luke I said before, the Oilers will likely pass the Canucks in the next few weeks for that third divisional spot.  Then it's a real dogfight for a playoff spot 

Just now, stawns said:

Tocchet says a lot of things, but he needs to be doing things a little more.  Lots of talk, but the team keeps playing the same way.

In game adjustments seems to be lacking.  

But he does push the right button on most days.  

15 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Hughes parents are stoic.  Can't cheer in hostile territory 

Thought that was very odd.

No one going to beat them up, not even the rioting thugs in Vancouver, would blame a parent for cheering their sons goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1-d said:

In the midst of this team playing uninspiring .500 hockey over the past 10 games, #40 is practically doing nothing.

Whether it's physical or mental Petey is not 100% and when he's not the usual dominant self, this team goes nowhere.

We've been able to keep the 3rd spot in the division only because the other Pacific teams like SEA, CGY and EDM are still struggling. If one of them gets really hot down the stretch our playoffs hope may not be so safe as it looks now.

Well then we can’t give him the money he wants if everytime he’s injured he just fades away. This team has to have at least one elite forward. These slumps happen almost every year and they are lengthly. 

Just now, kilgore said:

Thought that was very odd.

No one going to beat them up, not even the rioting thugs in Vancouver, would blame a parent for cheering their sons goal.

Pre game interview they were asked about it.  Dad said they will stay neutral.  

Just now, Iron Man said:

Hughes' parents showing no emotion for Luke's goal? Quinn must be their favourite. That's a positive, I guess?

I'm getting the Jersey feed - they say the Hughes can't play favorites - must show no emotion

11 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Team has zero character 

that’s the problem 

It's the Swee-Dish Stoic mindset that has been infused from Nazy to the Sedins to Horvat that has left this team passive & meek.    It will take awhile to rid the team of that disease.

9 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

This Devils team has as much or more offensive talent as the Canucks.

Not just Hischier or Hughes, they also have a really strong supporting cast of forwards, Toffoli, Palat, etc.

The Canucks probaby have more defensive talent...and probably better goaltending.

But the way the Canucks are playing, run and gun, loosey-goosey, and forget defensive zone coverage, is just letting the Devils use their strengths.

The game should have been played tight checking, focus on clogging up the neutral zone.

The Canucks have also reverted to their poor coverage in front of their own net... which we thought was under control.

Just not seeing the coaching or the team performance which is needed to beat a very good team.

Team is failing to make the jump needed to beat the really good teams.

We're not striking fear into the good teams yet, meanwhile the many teams behind us are more motivated to beat us. We've become a .500 team and been like that for awhile. Maybe the return of Soucy and Suter could help.