[GDT] New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks | Dec 5th @ Rogers Arena - 7pm PT/10pm ET| [The Hughes Brothers Edition]

John.Tallhouse

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am really looking forward to this. I cannot remember 3 brothers ever playing in the NHL other than the Sutters. 

The Statsny Brothers (Marian, Peter, and Anton) played together in the NHL for the Nordiques (and were great).

Didn't Gordie Howe get to play with both sons in Hartford (I think) in the WHA?  (I guess Dad is not a brother though.)  (Unless you're in Arkansas.) 

New Jersey plays like Edmonton.  

They want to make the game a track meet, back and forth chances, and overwhelm you with speed. We can't afford to do that, particularly with our group. They aren't as mobile or quick as NJ. 

Don't let their record fool you, NJ is a dangerous team that had to survive stretches without Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier. We have to force NJ to play on our terms, a grueling, punishing, grinding style. Big test here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integra250 said:

Jared Staal actually played 2 NHL games which means at one point 4 brothers played in the NHL at the same time.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

I'm pretty sure there was a point in the 80s when half the players in the league had "sutter" on their back. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I remember Peter as one of my favorite players. He was so good but I also thought Anton and Marion were severely under-rated. Whatever happened to Marion that he quit 4 years earlier then the other two... he was 6 years older but still only 33. It's a mystery. Oh no wait I see now. He got traded to the Leafs. I would quit too. 😄 Both Anton and Peter defected from Slovakia in 1980 and Marion joined them in 1981. They were the third set of brothers to play on the same professional sports team after the Bentley's with the Blackhawks, and the Plager's with the Blues. Yan and Paul are both Peter's sons. 

Oh man, was hockey ever great back then. I loved the 80's for hockey. Absolutely loved watching them as a line.

If there wasn't a Gretzky or Mario, Stastny and Hawerchuk would be considered generational talents instead of just great hockey players (from the 80's).   Bossy of course is.   They had to face the still mighty Habs.   And like the little brother that grows up bigger then his older brothers, creating a pretty great rivalry, one of the best ever.  

Folks talk about Salming (RIP) becoming the first great Euro player, and some of Mogilny's story, the Stastny's defection from the USSR is a level up when it comes to subterfuge, risk of jail and worse, and the risks of harm against their family back home.    So far, they've set the bar pretty high for 3 brothers.     Looks like the Hughes brothers will surpass it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1