[GDT] New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks | Dec 5th @ Rogers Arena - 7pm PT/10pm ET| [The Hughes Brothers Edition]

John.Tallhouse

36 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Mood

IMG_0190.jpeg

What a bunch of goofy kids.   QHs looks like he's stoned.   Jack looks like he's trying to get all the attention and trying way too hard, I mean isn't he the guy who wasn't drafted yet?  And who the heck knows what Luke is thinking about.   Maybe a Pokémon card he just got. 

Edited by IBatch

18 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Lines for morning skate. Looks like PDG is the odd man out again. Looking forward to seeing Karlsson again.

PDG probably could use a rest. He worked hard in every game but was showing signs of slowing down. Not a knock on him, just a reality.

Will be interesting to see if management does tinker with the forward group.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I know Lafferty has played really good, but kinda a slap to the face to Garland not getting into the top 6.

Not good enough for top 6; overpaid for bottom 6; too small; can't shoot; doesn't score; $5m/yr for years.

Slap that face!  Better yet trade him for cap space.

JXp7I3I.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

They are relentlessly trying to make Nils Hoglander a mainstay, regular, full time Canuck. Always has been a ton of talent!

I love to see RT spending so much time with Nils. Maybe, just maybe, if Green was as committed to develop Virtanen, we would have a different outcome ?

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Not good enough for top 6; overpaid for bottom 6; too small; can't shoot; doesn't score; $5m/yr for years.

JXp7I3I.gif

yeah, garland is in a rough spot. he tries hard, brings energy once in awhile and has some offensive skills, but he can't hit, can't check, doesn't kill penalties, and gets 10 seconds of pp2 time at the end of powerplays. he's an offense only player that doesn't consistently contribute offense. he doesn't have a role. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I know Lafferty has played really good, but kinda a slap to the face to Garland not getting into the top 6.

13 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

If Garland wants to get into the top 6 he needs to earn it. He has not earned it so far. You don't get gifted a top 6 spot just because you are overpaid.

I agree that Garland has been playing well and his advanced stats are good, as they always are. Garland is an "analytics" favorite. But you need to convert those analytics into actual goals, which Garland does not do very well.  He does not have a great shot, does not have the size to play effectively in front of the net, and is not very selective in his shots. He is still a good third line player, but that is what he is right now.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Should be a very competitive match tonight as both teams are rested - the teams have been playing about 500 hockey in recent weeks so they are looking for some traction heading into the core stretch. Hopefully the Canucks do not have an early letdown after their gritty win on the weekend. I think the first 10 minutes are key for them and not to spot an early lead to NJ

Not as gritty as Calgary, NJ does possess superior speed and can fore check and pressure just a well.  Really looking forward to the  Hughes battle - since it is an Eastern opponent -   okay with a 4-3 win in OT as long it is a W

Just Win.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

If Garland wants to get into the top 6 he needs to earn it. He has not earned it so far. You don't get gifted a top 6 spot just because you are overpaid.

I agree that Garland has been playing well and his advanced stats are good, as they always are. Garland is an "analytics" favorite. But you need to convert those analytics into actual goals, which Garland does not do very well.  He does not have a great shot, does not have the size to play effectively in front of the net, and is not very selective in his shots. He is still a good third line player, but that is what he is right now.

His production based on his ice time actually isnt bad, Lafferty's is better though. Garland is likely moved in the offseason with the cap going up. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

what were the devils when they were putting themselves into position to draft #1 overall?

We were much worse.

They have a tougher division and we always go on a run at the end that makes the standings flatter us more.