[GDT] New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks | Dec 5th @ Rogers Arena - 7pm PT/10pm ET| [The Hughes Brothers Edition]

John.Tallhouse

2 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Garland's strength is his stick handling, not his shot, and for that he requires a shorter stick.

Ever see Myers try to stick handle in a phone booth. It's not pretty.  

It's not pretty even in a 200' x 85' hockey rink. 

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Elias Pettersson is 4 inches taller with a corresponding larger arm span. At 6’2” he’s obviously going to be comfortable with a longer stick than Conor Garland’s. A difference in height and reach changes everything. 

Anyways, EP could out stick handle  most of the league when he’s on his game, Garland included.
Garland is good in the tight spots, along the boards and able to duck under and/or around many of the taller players. 

He sure worked his stick well on this goal…

obviously stick length scales with height. I've already mentioned that garland's stick is short even relative to his height, and pettersson uses a stick longer than average for a forward his height. 

garland has to use an exceptionally tiny stick to help his stick handling and it hurts every single other area of his game. if he was that great a stick handler, he wouldn't need the extra help. 

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

Pretty positive 'stat', maybe something for the guy that wants tocchet fired to ponder.  Odd man rushes against, canucks in the top 5 of limiting odd man rushes:

And this totally matches the eye test... I've really noticed the team giving up fewer odd-man rushes this year. Seems like last season they were giving up 5 or 6 every game, and 1 or 2 would always go in. Huge difference.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NHL Tyranny said:

I doubt any team will want to pick him up for the POs but one can hope. He might be a good second line replacement for a team that has an LTI or a contractual issue (Perry). Getting a second back along with no retention would be dreamland...

There will be No Retention.

Just Garland and his gnarly contract, straight up.

No retention, no prospects, no picks, et cetera, the only futures are Future Consideration.

(As in, "In the future, we will consider you a lousy GM for taking Garland off our hands, and giving us a ... 2nd round pick .. please.)

31 minutes ago, tas said:

obviously stick length scales with height. I've already mentioned that garland's stick is short even relative to his height, and pettersson uses a stick longer than average for a forward his height. 

garland has to use an exceptionally tiny stick to help his stick handling and it hurts every single other area of his game. if he was that great a stick handler, he wouldn't need the extra help. 

How long is Garland’s stick?

8 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I don't think so. Virtanen was a busteroo and was just extremely lazy and attitude problem. Only wanted to party

I wouldn't be so sure Tocchet wouldn't be able to have saved Jake.

He could teach him how to fight for example, and then Jake might realize how good of shape you need to be in to win fights.

He could get somebody like Tim "The Shark" Hunter to motivate him; the Shark used to show up at the newbs door at about 5 am and start them working out.

He could change the "Crew" that Virtanen was hanging with and get him some positive feedback from positive behaviour (growing up).

He could probably teach him self-confidence around women so he could learn to treat all people with respect (and keep Little Jake in his jock until he receives consent).

2 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Nothing is an easy win

If the reins were pulled back on certain gaffes that occur with a few repeat offenders, this could be a very tight game. 

We measure up to them,if not better . We can only hope for a W.

4 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I wouldn't be so sure Tocchet wouldn't be able to have saved Jake.

He could teach him how to fight for example, and then Jake might realize how good of shape you need to be in to win fights.

He could get somebody like Tim "The Shark" Hunter to motivate him; the Shark used to show up at the newbs door at about 5 am and start them working out.

He could change the "Crew" that Virtanen was hanging with and get him some positive feedback from positive behaviour (growing up).

He could probably teach him self-confidence around women so he could learn to treat all people with respect (and keep Little Jake in his jock until he receives consent).

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It is what it is now. Honestly, I thought when he was selected I knew it was a mistake. Is he even playing hockey now?

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

If the reins were pulled back on certain gaffes that occur with a few repeat offenders, this could be a very tight game. 

We measure up to them,if not better . We can only hope for a W.

Myers has been good. Just give it a rest. We're stuck with him until the end of the season

39 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

And this totally matches the eye test... I've really noticed the team giving up fewer odd-man rushes this year. Seems like last season they were giving up 5 or 6 every game, and 1 or 2 would always go in. Huge difference.

That was exactly my point I mentioned in the prior PGT- RT, Adam and Sergei fixed "transitional defense" (using a basketball term). And it makes huge difference

51 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I don't think so. Virtanen was a busteroo and was just extremely lazy and attitude problem. Only wanted to party

All it takes is to be lucky and meet a coach who a)believes in you; b)hard enough on you without breaking you; c) has a patience with you

I am speaking from my own experience when I was 14-15 years old.

Edited by Silent Man
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It is what it is now. Honestly, I thought when he was selected I knew it was a mistake. Is he even playing hockey now?

I thought he might be playing in Eastern Siberia or something, but that was a while ago.

Hope he's not still over there; I would not wish that on anyone, and I hope Jake's grown up.

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Think this may answer the jersey question...

"Love Greener, he gave me the opportunity I got and when I made mistakes just threw me right back out there".

Know that will rub a lot of the anti-Green crowd wrong.   Did the same with Brock.   And Miller and EP.   Look where they are now.    Maybe, just maybe it was a roster issue.   

Hope we win tonight. 

• Cheers 1