[GDT] New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks | Dec 5th @ Rogers Arena - 7pm PT/10pm ET| [The Hughes Brothers Edition]

John.Tallhouse

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

How long is Garland’s stick?

I haven't measured it personally, but if you watch him, say, after the whistle is blown and he relaxes and just sort of holds his stick parallel to the ice (you know, like how a human would passively hold a hockey stick), his bottom (right) hand is almost where the blade meets the shaft. really low on the stick. 

Just now, Devron said:

I don’t know about this one. Devils always have our number. But I’ve basically been surprised by the Canucks all year. Let’s go! 

Yup. Devils gave brat us 14/15 games. Time for that to turn around. 7-4 for us. Devils’ Hughes total 3 points. Our Hughes gets 5. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You havent met the ladies that I have. 

I mostly feel bad for them that the men in their lives seem to think that sex is supposed to have a loser. 

Edited by tas
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

obviously stick length scales with height. I've already mentioned that garland's stick is short even relative to his height, and pettersson uses a stick longer than average for a forward his height. 

garland has to use an exceptionally tiny stick to help his stick handling and it hurts every single other area of his game. if he was that great a stick handler, he wouldn't need the extra help. 

It definitely helps him with his puck handling (especially his very tight turns) but I think he has enough skill to still be able to handle the puck with a slightly longer stick. I suspect the main factor behind his choice of stick length is his regular size disadvantage in battles for the puck. When digging for pucks, a shorter, stiffer stick would help mitigate a strength disadvantage against a larger opponent with a more flexible stick.

I agree that the short stick is a detriment to other parts of his game. For example, he has an absolute muffin of a shot in part because he can’t utilize the flex/whip in his short stick. I imagine he has done his own analysis and determined that he is a more effective player when he can win pucks regularly rather than snipe the occasional goal.

Edited by YourHuckleberry
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

It definitely helps him with his puck handling (especially his very tight turns) but I think he has enough skill to still be able to handle the puck with a slightly longer stick. I suspect the main factor behind his choice of stick length is his regular size disadvantage in battles for the puck. When digging for pucks, a shorter, stiffer stick would help mitigate a strength disadvantage against a larger opponent with a more flexible stick.

I agree that the short stick is a detriment to other parts of his game. For example, he has an absolute muffin of a shot in part because he can’t utilize the flex/whip in his short stick. I imagine he has done his own analysis and determined that he is a more effective player when he can win pucks regularly rather than snipe the occasional goal.

thoughtful response, and perhaps you're right. but if that's the conclusion he's drawn, let's just say the results leave me wanting. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, tas said:

I haven't measured it personally, but if you watch him, say, after the whistle is blown and he relaxes and just sort of holds his stick parallel to the ice (you know, like how a human would passively hold a hockey stick), his bottom (right) hand is almost where the blade meets the shaft. really low on the stick. 

IMG_3123.jpeg

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, YourHuckleberry said:

Pedal inspired by Garland’s shot…

as you so aptly put it…

(muff)

C75709E6-6FE9-41EE-877B-D3C34CA5A10B.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wont be the last.

ah, i see today's key word is 'composure'. I understand it to mean, as toc mentions, "performance under pressure", but when I went to the dictionary out of curiosity to check out the literal definition, all it said was

chris-tanev-2017-39.jpg.84f32f690af6851a7544ef6e49cc51fc.jpg