[GDT] New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks | Dec 5th @ Rogers Arena - 7pm PT/10pm ET| [The Hughes Brothers Edition]

John.Tallhouse

8 hours ago, stawns said:

He said it in an interview at the all star for millions of people to watch.  Did you rip van Winkle through last season?

It was discussed on Cdc for weeks

What did he say exactly? That he loves Bo and hates Miller???  🙄

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm pretty sure you know what we're talking about and are being willfuly obtuse about it. 

Nope.  I think many of us would love to hear what you think he said where millions witnessed him announce he's on team Bo and not team Miller.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I think people are just tired of an average team. We've been average since 2012.

Its even more frustrating when the guys showed they can play above average, but now they just aren't. 

While I understand the sentiment (I've been a Canucks fan for decades and have seen more mediocrity than many), the team can't all play winners. We went from having a team that missed the playoffs last year to a team that is at least trying to play the right way now. And while there is always room for improvement, I believe newer Management has done a pretty good job of acquiring a bunch of quality players - some of which need to learn the new systems. 

Ultimately, this team needs to get back to what was winning us games before. Which is aware defensive play, first and foremost - but we also need some players to return to expected form, such as Kuzmenko and Petey - who are both top players we rely on.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that despite this, I believe the Canucks have scored the most in this league. With a goalie like Demko and an improving D, I think we will be ok.

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nope.  I think many of us would love to hear what you think he said where millions witnessed him announce he's on team Bo and not team Miller.

of course you know, you were right there in the discussions.  But for shits and giggles let's re-visit.  As you well know, Bo and Petey were good friends and the trade was hard for them both. 

https://www.thefreepress.ca/sports/bo-horvat-elias-pettersson-ready-for-last-ride-together-at-nhl-all-star-game-5150703

Also at the all star game, both Petey and Miller expressed, very openly how they'd had their differences, were completel different people who saw things differently, but had a mutual respect and didn't need to be friends to be teammates etc etc

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jt-miller-on-elias-pettersson-were-not-a-lot-alike-but-have-become-friends-6859962

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/elias-pettersson-on-jt-miller-weve-had-our-differences-6493447

Do they hate each other?  Of course not.  Do they find ways to be good teammates to each other, of course.  It may or may not be an issue still, but it's been less than a year and I doubt they suddenly changed their personalities.  I doubt it's a major factor in why Petey is struggling, but when he gets the chance to choose where he plays, he probably wouldn't choose to play on a team where he doesn't feel like he has a lot of allies.

This management group went with Miller and Petey may very well be a casualty of that decision.

58 minutes ago, stawns said:

of course you know, you were right there in the discussions.  But for shits and giggles let's re-visit.  As you well know, Bo and Petey were good friends and the trade was hard for them both. 

https://www.thefreepress.ca/sports/bo-horvat-elias-pettersson-ready-for-last-ride-together-at-nhl-all-star-game-5150703

Also at the all star game, both Petey and Miller expressed, very openly how they'd had their differences, were completel different people who saw things differently, but had a mutual respect and didn't need to be friends to be teammates etc etc

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jt-miller-on-elias-pettersson-were-not-a-lot-alike-but-have-become-friends-6859962

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/elias-pettersson-on-jt-miller-weve-had-our-differences-6493447

Do they hate each other?  Of course not.  Do they find ways to be good teammates to each other, of course.  It may or may not be an issue still, but it's been less than a year and I doubt they suddenly changed their personalities.  I doubt it's a major factor in why Petey is struggling, but when he gets the chance to choose where he plays, he probably wouldn't choose to play on a team where he doesn't feel like he has a lot of allies.

This management group went with Miller and Petey may very well be a casualty of that decision.

First of all, I firmly believe if it was Miller that was traded and they landed in the all star game together, the 2 of them would naturally gravitate to each other.  End of the day, they're teammates.  So I wouldn't read too much into that Bo and Elias connection at the all star game.

Second, from a personal standpoint, I'm not a lot alike with a lot of my good friends.  We have different personalities, and different hobbies, but we've gone through a lot together, so we're very close that way.  So anyways, it's not unusual that teammates don't get along like peas in a pod.  The only issue is if players have personal hatred towards one another. 

I highly, highly doubt Petey is slumping because of Miller.  He was completely on fire early this season and tapered off.  He's had slumps pretty much every single season he has been here, so this isn't an unusual situation which has a lot of us worried about handing over a monster contract.  So I think I'm not the only one that feels it may be in the best interests of this team and Petey to part ways (assuming Petey wants a huge pay cheque).

Just my thoughts.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Reznor said:

While I understand the sentiment (I've been a Canucks fan for decades and have seen more mediocrity than many), the team can't all play winners. We went from having a team that missed the playoffs last year to a team that is at least trying to play the right way now. And while there is always room for improvement, I believe newer Management has done a pretty good job of acquiring a bunch of quality players - some of which need to learn the new systems. 

Ultimately, this team needs to get back to what was winning us games before. Which is aware defensive play, first and foremost - but we also need some players to return to expected form, such as Kuzmenko and Petey - who are both top players we rely on.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that despite this, I believe the Canucks have scored the most in this league. With a goalie like Demko and an improving D, I think we will be ok.

Keep in mind, we don’t want to win too much and it will cost the team in round 1 of the playoffs and do not want that cursed President Trophy (look what happened to Boston last season and us back in 2012).

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

the fuk u talking about?? do you even read the previous quote or u just decides to randomly jump into a convo with 0 context? he wants to replace kuzmenko and mikheyev with hoglander and laffety?? 2 3rd/4th line players?? so if he thinks hoglander and laffety are top 6 while demoting kuzmenko and mikheyev to the 3rd/4th line? then that makes kuzmenko and mikheyev are 3/4th liner. we have maybe 1-2 top 6 proven top 6 wingers on this team?? prolly just boeser?? everyone else is non proven as a top 6? kuzmenko with 1 season =/= proven? mikheyev have been a career 3rd liner until he got to vancouver? his stats are ok so far this season.. but how effective is he against playoff teams? all 7 of his goals came against teams that missed the playoff.. and only 2 of his total points came against a playoff team this season.. so again not proven. 

misread that apologies. 

7 hours ago, sassbs said:

Your reply is cute.   They expected more but weren’t livid.  It’s like us expecting a 1st for Myers and getting upset that we got a 5th.   Majority of them were glad they got a couple of picks

No they were livid the response there was that they undersold. 

14 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Debatable was a pretty egregious error. Where as the last goal was Hronek and Cole not recognizing they were both in poor position. 

That give away to Hughes at the end was a nightmare, then Hughes not scoring and Myers not getting penalized...lucky as f.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Something is bothering or not right with Pettersson. His facial expression even on the bench is quite somber. Better the first 15 games or so but not now.

I thought he was destined to be the greatest Canuck ever, but now I think it will be good if we let him be someone else's concern. I thought the guy was going to be effective in the Gretzky mold, but things have gone flat or down since the concussions.

6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

He isnt injured. He is playing some serious disinterested hockey. Remember 2 years ago he started the season with i think 6 goals in his first 27 games until Beadreau came in and helped him.

A wrist injury, which is what most folks are guessing at... isn't enough for him to just dissappear. Plus you seeing how he is trying to hit guys out there? You don't try to make big hits when you're injured.

I'm telling you folks, there might be a small injury, but I see 80% mental issues rather than physical.

He is always falling down. Always looking to the refs for calls. Hardly celebrating when his teammates score. Petey has checked out. 

It's 1 or 2 scenarios. 

1. He doesn't like the offer the canucks have made him. Taking it personal. 

2. He has already decided he won't be signing here and has to play out the season. 

Fans need to realize while vancouver is a great place, not every player in the NHL dreams of playing here their whole career.

Yes, trading him now would be for the best. I wonder what we would get beyond the cap space? He's too frail to be a meaningful leader in a cup run, and that's all I care about at this point.

14 minutes ago, Coalio said:

Yes, trading him now would be for the best. I wonder what we would get beyond the cap space? He's too frail to be a meaningful leader in a cup run, and that's all I care about at this point.

Oh man, if we're talking a Petey trade??

He has zero trade protection so that opens up options.

Petey with 50% salary retention (about $3.65m cap hit) would be the most valuable trade target at the trade deadline I'm sure.

He would be a hell of an asset. His 2 way play and scoring would be very sought after as a rental