Bruce Boudreau opens up about being fired by the Canucks - Nasty Knuckles Podcast

DeltaSwede

8 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I find it weird that people hate him because he said the Canucks needed better systems. He knew what type of coach RT is, he was also in Pittsburgh. He knew Tocc would implement those systems to give the Canucks long term success. The Drama queens need to give it a rest.

I mean, you do have an entire thread in white noise that seems a tad dramatic, no?

Let the people say what the people want. If anyone doesn't like it, i hear that there is an ignore function...

47 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol reading some of these post it feels like the fans are more salty than bruce is.. don't really care about whether or not bruce is the right coach for the team etc etc.. the way it was handled by the management was unacceptable it basically started back in april and dragged on and on and lasted more than half a year.. if JR and pa didn't think Bruce was the right coach for the team.. then just be honest and tell him that back at the exit interview back in april?? just like be up front.. tell him we don't think you are the right coach going forward.. but instead they wanted to play the PR card and didnt' want to look bad with the fans by letting bruce go after the job he have done and turned it into a PR nightmare. i have no issues with Bruce airing some of this out.. it's not like he created it.. the canucks did.. people expect others to suck it up after getting publicly humilated basically for 8 months lol.

Oh I'm pretty sure they let him know that. It was evidenced by saying it publicly time and time again that our systems (coaching) needed to be better. They also said they were unaware that he had a option for the second year. BB said it himself that he knew he'd get fired before the season started. BB was the one that exercised the option, not the Canucks.

I personally don't know what the big deal is. All the cards were on the table. BB was desperate for the $$ and the job and came back knowing he wasn't wanted. He had the option to be a good coach and failed miserably. I'm sure if the team was in a playoff spot he wouldn't have been fired. He was brutal at his job and was fired.

The Canucks looked after the Canucks and BB looked after BB. In the end no one got what they really desired. Bruce went for the cash.

Edited by Gawdzukes

55 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh I'm pretty sure they let him know that. It was evidenced by saying it publicly time and time again that our systems (coaching) needed to be better. They also said they were unaware that he had a option for the second year. BB said it himself that he knew he'd get fired before the season started. BB was the one that exercised the option, not the Canucks.

I personally don't know what the big deal is. All the cards were on the table. BB was desperate for the $$ and the job and came back knowing he wasn't wanted. He had the option to be a good coach and failed miserably. I'm sure if the team was in a playoff spot he wouldn't have been fired. He was brutal at his job and was fired.

The Canucks looked after the Canucks and BB looked after BB. In the end no one got what they really desired. Bruce went for the cash.

bb desperate for the money? where did you read that from? the guy made prolly 30mil in salary from coaching in his 15 years.. i doubt he's in it for the cash.. whether he's a good coach or not who knows.. but the guy must be doing something right to have one of the highest win % for a coach with 10+ seasons. Given the roster he have and with the off season aquisition.. the team made 0 upgrade or chances to the defence to make it better.. mikheyev kuzmenko etc.. they suppose to make the defence better? our defence personel was god awful so i don't blame it all on him.. and if you want to say the team looked so much better after RT took over last season.. well we played 70% of the schedule vs lottery bound team.. and the games we played against the playoff team we were badly outshot/outchanced.. and fast forward 1 season.. despite our record.. we are still giving up the exact same amount of high danger chances and the PK really is still bad..

love how you put this as bruce went for the cash without evidence so therefore he deserves to be publicly humilated.. how about BB thought he could continue building off previous season and maybe could have kept his job if the canucks were playoff bound or play for an opportunity elsewhere? after all the praises you guys are singing RT.. our old habits are all creeping back in.. no show to start games etc etc.. and starting to lose games pretty 1 sided against the good teams.

I know things didn't work out with Bruce here but I simply cannot buy this whole he wasn't a good coach bit, you don't get a career record of 617-342 in the world's best league by being a lousy coach. Only one coach who's coached 1k games or more has a better winning percentage and he's at the top of the heap all-time. 

One can point to the teams he had, but I don't see how you can separate the success those teams had from the coaching staff. Bruce had lots of regular season success in Washington, which led to him being able to coach a talented Ducks team. I thought he got a lot out of the Minnesota teams he had at the time. He's not the only coaching great to never win a cup, he won't be the last. 

Things can simultaneously be true, for example: over the course of his career Bruce was a good coach who had plenty of regular season success, things also didn't work out for him in Vancouver for several different reasons. We can be content with the team seemingly having taken steps forward without having to shit on Rick's predecessor. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I know things didn't work out with Bruce here but I simply cannot buy this whole he wasn't a good coach bit, you don't get a career record of 617-342 in the world's best league by being a lousy coach. Only one coach who's coached 1k games or more has a better winning percentage and he's at the top of the heap all-time. 

One can point to the teams he had, but I don't see how you can separate the success those teams had from the coaching staff. Bruce had lots of regular season success in Washington, which led to him being able to coach a talented Ducks team. I thought he got a lot out of the Minnesota teams he had at the time. He's not the only coaching great to never win a cup, he won't be the last. 

Things can simultaneously be true, for example: over the course of his career Bruce was a good coach who had plenty of regular season success, things also didn't work out for him in Vancouver for several different reasons. We can be content with the team seemingly having taken steps forward without having to shit on Rick's predecessor. 

I think he was the right coach for the circumstances that the team found themselves in - which was playing uninspired, playing only to wind down the clock, playing unsure of what the expectations were.  It was clear they had tuned out Green, and I think Benning's signings/trades really left the team with a "what the absolute fuck?" mentality.

Bruce (there it is!) was a breath of freshness for the stale dead air that hung over the team.  He allowed them to play for fun again.  He helped many of them re-acquaint themselves with the passion they thought they'd left behind or that they thought died under Green/Benning.  He was the right coach for the moment, and the results in the tail end of the season kind of proved that.  He also wasn't afraid to let the team try new things, like QH43 and EP40 on the PK.  This was important for rebuilding the confidence the players needed to have for themselves after the drudgery of the Green/Benning era.

That he didn't come up with a system for defensive play is a fact.  Had he put something together, had he brought on board an assistant who could construct something like that for him, we'd probably still be cheering him on right now.  However, he couldn't (or wouldn't), and that ultimately gave management the reason they needed to fire him.  I don't like how they handled it, but it's been shown that that was perhaps the right decision (though personally I would have probably left him in until closer to the end of the season, to improve our chances of drafting higher).

He's not a bad coach.  You don't get 600+ wins being shitty behind the bench.  But his shelf life for this particular team wasn't that long, given his inability to come up with systems play.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on.... JR are the godfather in this organisation just now. 
PA is the heir to the throne, but I have zero doubt that JR has his finger on most things that happens. PAs lining everything up, but he will have had discussions with JR about his plans... 

And this is how it should be between the President and the GM. In total agreement (in principle) about the way forward. 
JR knows more about managing and structure of an NHL team (good and bad) in his little finger, than all of CFF put together and then some. 
Tocchet obviously fits the bill and the way they both look at it, and wants their team to play, so whether we see much or not of JR likely doesn't matter. He is there as well....

IMG_0868.gif

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Outsiders said:

King,

Your constant bashing of Rutherford is a head scratcher. You seem to hate everyone the organization has brought in. Calling Rutherford a dirtbag and Tocchet a criminal at various times. I can't tell if your trolling but 45k posts shows you have some credibility to your account. I really hope you're okay mentally as this kind of negativity towards people that have done nothing to you isn't normal.

His post count is meaningless towards credibility, he said if Tocchet was  hired as coach he’d find a new team to follow etc ….. and wouldn’t post etc …. Yet here he is , a man’s only as good as his word and you’d think a guy as righteous as he tries to say he is would follow through on his statements….. still here no credibility …. Just hot air 

• Cheers 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Due to Rutherford's actions, we now have a GM who knows how and when to make roster changes, we have assistant GMs who know and are good at their jobs, we have a coaching staff that is efffective and commands respect in the hockey world, we have a team that is playing mostly well most of the time, we have the most promising group of young prospects we've maybe ever had, and there is more hope for success than there ever was under the Linden/Benning/Wiesbrod regime. And if Rutherford has such awful character issues, why is he so respected around the hockey world? Oh, and if he is replaced, who might you suggest that doesn't have the same character flaws?

Good start but same as with Bruce and Travis we are win one lose one win one lose one pattern. If we’re not smarten up we will start a losing streak. It’s not different than the past except for the hot start.

On 12/5/2023 at 2:58 PM, Outsiders said:

King,

Your constant bashing of Rutherford is a head scratcher. You seem to hate everyone the organization has brought in. Calling Rutherford a dirtbag and Tocchet a criminal at various times. I can't tell if your trolling but 45k posts shows you have some credibility to your account. I really hope you're okay mentally as this kind of negativity towards people that have done nothing to you isn't normal.

Well he is factually correct as Rick Tocchet is a criminal and Rutherford hired a member of the Chicago Predators.

Having said that people do change and sometimes deserve a second chance.