[Rumour] Oil exploring a Broberg trade

So Broberg went two or three picks before Pods.  Hopefully Pods gets a shot to be a player soon.  Lots of good players went after them.  Caulfield, my pick that year was Newhook (granted I was taken with him as I watched him for two seasons with the Victoria Grizzlies when I lived there and the rink was walking distance from my house, but I digress).  

Young players ready to pop and be players is certainly one place we have not yet pulled guys from and we need to start to do that in order to find a couple players on cost effective deals.  Haven't seen Broberg play enoughto have an opinion on whether he is a bust or not been given a chance.  Holland seems to really have dropped the ball here with the agent though.  

Time will tell.  

23 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yeah, we need to trade for those guys cause we keep trading picks away. Lol. We should have had a Hronek in the system already. Not hoping someone is dumb enough to gift them to us. Our blueline right now has one dude that we drafted. Our top 6 has 3 legit top 6 talent in it and we only drafted 2 of them. For reference, in 2011 we had the Sedins and Burrows. We drafted the Sedins and picked up Burrows undrafted. I don't fully remember the 2nd line but I think it was MayRay, Kesler and Samuelsson. We drafted 2 of those guys.

The pieces we need to reach actual contender status right now are players most good teams draft themselves. You don't fill important gaps with trades. Cause those guys are usually super expensive. Unless you get lucky with Yzerman gifting us a top 4 RHD. We have been ass for 10 years and have Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko to show for it right now. That's because we kept trying to shortcut our way to contention by trading picks. I get not every pick is a guarantee to get you anything. That's usually why you stockpile a bunch of them. Again, if you want to win a raffle you usually don't buy one ticket. You buy a bunch.

I don't disagree.  But the point is that when for the last 10 years management has left the cupboard empty and you have stars heading into their prime, you simply cannot wait for drafting defensemen and hope that they hit their stride in 2 years.  Willander may provide some hope but realistically he won't perform at a cup contender level for a few years.  The time is now for EP, Miller, Demko and company.  So, you are stuck with using picks to get known commodities for now.

If we were entering the tail end of the cycle, I would 100% agree with you.  Strip the club down and load up on draft picks.