PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

41 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Absolutely heart crushing loss. But the boys are right there. We basically have an absentee 1st line I hope they get un jammed quickly 

as WITH contributions from those 3 we are laughing all the way to the cup. Its astounding the difference with this team from this year to 

last. I continue to be shocked by how good Miller is.

Hughes is now legendary status for me.

Yeah we have to get our Petey line going

Once that happens look out…

That’s why we were so good at the beginning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Player for player , i think our core is slightly better than almost any team. Hronek is basically Hughs lite. So we have Hughs Hronek, Petterson and Miller. And Demko. 

But a team on paper and the results are 2 different things 

Canucks curse at work…

The mystique of this f’ed franchise 

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We probably should have added a pick and a prospect and gotten Tanev from the Flames as well.  Give them Garland in return...

I don’t know if they even wanted tanev who knows they seemed to really want Z Foote knew him well too

and if there was a trade for garland on the table he’s to imagine they wouldn’t have done it

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Considering what he's accomplished, absolutely 

Forgot to mention that Makar was point per game in the playoffs in both 19-20 and 20-21 with 15 points in 15 games and then 10 points in 10 games 

Avs benefitted from timing though, Makar was signed under a flat cap and right before he took his roughly point per game play to another level 

Avs ultimately benefitted from burning a year off his ELC, if they'd waited he may very well have been up for an extension after winning the Norris, Conn Smythe, and Stanley Cup  

Sometimes teams get lucky with timing 

Question is, if it is luck or the smrts? 

Did the Avs "get lucky" with Makar ? Maybe but they also engineered the Nathan MacKinnon contract with a 6.3 Million AAV.

Same goes for the Bolts where their contracts are under market value.

Maybe it's also partly the team in how they perform projections of players and negotiations that is as big of a factor as luck?

Or the Smrts ?

burning homer simpson GIF

Edited by iinatcc

14 hours ago, Tofu_Bud said:

Expecting your FWDs to forecheck hard isnt an unfair expectation imo.  Any Canuck  regardless of skillset can and should do that.  That’s how you want your team to play. 

The whole Tocchett narrative stifling Kuz because of defensive expectations is silly imo.  He’s been very explicit about understanding the strengths of his players.  That said, being a floater doesnt let you of the hook for basic team play expectations.  

Boeser has been one of the best stories so far about embracing RT’s philosophy.

Certainty hasn't ruined his offensive play.    RT has been patient with Kuzmenko.    We should be too.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Question is, if it is luck or the smrts? 

Did the Avs "get lucky" with Makar ? Maybe but they also engineered the Nathan MacKinnon contract with a 6.3 Million AAV.

Same goes for the Bolts where their contracts are under market value.

Maybe it's also partly the team in how they perform projections of players and negotiations that is as big of a factor as luck?

Or the Smrts ?

burning homer simpson GIF

McKinnon was paid for what he'd accomplished up until then.   As for the Bolts,  Stamkos signed for virtually exactly the same deal that was reportedly offered from SJ and TO...take home pay over 8 years, within a few bucks of massive money (12plus) reportedly offered.    They didn't leave money on the table.   Miller, same deal in TB, would start with a six.   

Edited by IBatch

18 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well if you're Chris Pronger 😊

(Flyers had all left side D when they reached the Finals one year; granted one of those six was Pronger in his prime).

My point is, would you rather have three Juulsen types in your top six or three legitimate NHL D playing on their off side?  Again, ideally you want three natural L & R side D.

Pronger in his prime was a piece of work, just nasty the back in day types like Darian Hatcher etc.

The ideal world works for me but sometimes you just have to do the best you can, with what you have, when you're there.

GCG

p.s win tonight so this board doen't blow up.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

Pronger in his prime was a piece of work, just nasty the back in day types like Darian Hatcher etc.

The ideal world works for me but sometimes you just have to do the best you can, with what you have, when you're there.

GCG

p.s win tonight so this board doen't blow up.

Yup.  You summed it up better than I did.

• Cheers 1

On 12/6/2023 at 12:48 PM, Rusty Shackleford said:

The difference with Myers is consistentcy.  I've always rooted for the big guy but for us to get to the next level we need to move on from him.  

Here's Hansen saying it best.

He was wrong Myers did not get walked on the 6th goal, he wasn't on the ice at all.

Him and ZAD are facing top guys more than bottom now.

I like Hansen's comments but he never even mentioned Zadorov.

Versus the Devils the mistake was with forwards coming back a peeling off early. Miller had Haula coming back and left him before Myers got the puck, he peeled off and called for the puck. Zadorov thinking Miller had the net front went to give Myers a passing option.

You ever think that all this criticism of Kuzmenko and Myers is a lead up to trades, so the fans don't get upset?