PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

Just now, AnthonyG said:

I suggested we move him last year as well. His skating is what concerned me. Hes explosive out of the corners, but his stride is kinda choppy, he loves  cutting back and forth and using his leg strength while battling to gain the inside lane, but the problem is he relies on that too much to create separation.

Canucks could have gotten a 1st for Kuzmenko, now the team is lucky if he gets a 3rd

Blueger has been weird he looked like a puck magnet in the preseason.  He killed everything that came near him. 
Since the injury he has not been very good. 
‘Getting Suter back and moving him to 4th line C probably for the best as far as role. He just doesn’t provide offence for higher than a bottom line+PK role. 

For all the players we brought in to help with the PK we are again awful. Middle of the road PK and we are ahead of LA. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Jersey was smart, they locked him in long-term before he blew up, Jack has the best value contract in the league right now 

They got him signed Nov. 30, 2021, which was the season he wound up putting up 56 points in 49 games 

They bet on him blowing up and he blew up offensively in a spectacular way the following season 

Jack will probably have the best deal in the NHL until he's up for a new one 

That's more about Jersey taking a calculated gamble and Jack going for the money than Jack being willing to take less 

Yeah, meanwhile Petterson is going to command either 12 Million for 8 years or 10 million for 4 years.

I like Pettersson but how can you be a competitive team when you have Jack Hughes making 8 x 8 ?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, iinatcc said:

Yeah, meanwhile Petterson is going to command either 12 Million for 8 years or 10 million for 4 years.

I like Pettersson but how can you be a competitive team when you have Jack Hughes making 8 x 8 ?

Blame Benning for not going longer term 

Jersey gambled and won, any team who tries to use Jack Hughes making 8M as a comparable will be laughed at by whichever agent they're talking to 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Blueger has been weird he looked like a puck magnet in the preseason.  He killed everything that came near him. 
‘Getting Suter back and moving him to 4th line C probably for the best as far as role. He just doesn’t provide offence for higher than a bottom line+PK role. 

For all the players we brought in to help with the PK we are again awful. Middle of the road PK and we are ahead of LA. 

Aren't we still using Miller/Petterson on the PK1 ? 

3 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Fair enough. In my opinion, we have several of the pieces that we need on our team already, but mentally they're struggling, so it's impacting the entire team's chemistry. 

That being said, we def need some more parts. I think Meyers has played better than last year, but he's still awkward and too slow mentally under pressure. He cracks under pressure too easily, so he needs to go.  Soucy was helping us, so his injury is an issue. Losing him started destabilizing our D group. I'm not sure if Zadorov is going to help us, so far not impressed at all. Juulson doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm not sure about Blueger? How is he helping us?

Thanks for responding. I agree with most of your statement. Blueger is a boon defensively and he does create offensive with a solid forecheck despite his lack of points. I think he is a good, if not excellent, 4th line C.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Blame Benning for not going longer term 

Jersey gambled and won, any team who tries to use Jack Hughes making 8M as a comparable will be laughed at by whichever agent they're talking to 

Welp, Sens gave Stutzle a similar deal 

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Welp, Sens gave Stutzle a similar deal 

Aight, lemme rephrase that, any team trying to use Hughes as a comparable when trying to extend an already established point producer is going to be laughed at 

Players like Hughes and Stutzle are why you see more teams paying based on potential, hoping to see players blow up in similar fashions 

Doesn't really work in the case of player like Pettersson 

Stutzle signed his deal on Sep. 7, 2022, the season before he'd put up 58 points in 79 games 

Ottawa gambled on his potential and it paid off, Stutzle went on to put up 90 points in 78 games 

Stutzle looks great at 8.3 because he blew up, but if he'd stuck to closer to the 60ish points he put up the season prior it suddenly doesn't look as great 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Thanks for responding. I agree with most of your statement. Blueger is a boon defensively and he does create offensive with a solid forecheck despite his lack of points. I think he is a good, if not excellent, 4th line C.

I agree,the Blueger/Joshua/Garland line has been our most consistent reliable line in the past few games.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Aight, lemme rephrase that, any team trying to use Hughes as a comparable when trying to extend an already established point producer is going to be laughed at 

Players like Hughes and Stutzle are why you see more teams paying based on potential, hoping to see players blow up in similar fashions 

Stutzle signed his deal on Sep. 7, 2022, the season before he'd put up 58 points in 79 games 

Ottawa gambled on his potential and it paid off, Stutzle went on to put up 90 points in 78 games 

Stutzle looks great at 8.3 because he blew up, but if he'd stuck to closer to the 60ish points he put up the season prior it suddenly doesn't look as great 

OK how about Makar, the same "blow up" theory for him too? :classic_biggrin:

50 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sorry if a player is good enough to be a NHLer, he should be able to make that switch (particularly one of Tanev's calibre).  Would his performance be effected at least a bit?  Sure, Ideally, you want 3 LD & 3 RD.  But frankly, I'd rather have all LEFT side D if they were legitimate NHLers vs 3 rights & 3 lefts if half of them were of Juulsen's ability.

Oh I don't know about that, I played alot of D and was at least a fairly large fish in a very small pond.

Switching or playing LD was a real challange as a RD and the NHL is just so freaking fast I would not want to have LD just my opinion.

GCG

Just now, Frozen Water Walker said:

Oh I don't know about that, I played alot of D and was at least a fairly large fish in a very small pond.

Switching or playing LD was a real challange as a RD and the NHL is just so freaking fast I would not want to have LD just my opinion.

GCG

All LH D 

39 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

So he was much better in the first 15 games than the last 11.  He still has 9 points in those 11 games.  He is on pace for his best season ever and one of the best seasons ever by a Canuck, and half of this forum wants to trade him.  He has more points per game than Brayden Point, Matthews, Scheifele, Larkin, Crosby, Eichel, Aho, Barkov, Stamkos.  Every player has ebbs and flows in terms of their play and their points.  BTW I did not "frame his current point total like he's maintained a steady level of production throughout", I just said that he is a point per game player and is the 2nd highest scoring centre in the league.  Like many on here, you can't allow strictly positive statements, without adding your expertise and finding some negative.

I am a fan and I don't want EP to go anywhere.  Go Canucks Go!

It's okay and it's the truth to suggest he has had a better first half in this short season.  Read my post again - I'm not the one suggesting a trade.  He is simply going through a rough phase along with the rest of the team.  I fully expect Pettersson to score over 100 points, just like he did last year.  But I also think it's fair to question why he hasn't played to his best the last 10 or so games.

There are tons of people here suggesting Petey get traded.  Go after them, not me.  But the only reason they're suggesting a trade right now is because Petey hasn't looked great lately.

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

OK how about Makar, the same "blow up" theory for him too? :classic_biggrin:

It's not a theory, it's a pattern. 

And no, Makar earned it. He signed his current deal on Jul. 24, 2021 after putting up 50 points in 57 games in 19-20 and 44 points in 44 games in 20-21. Makar's been roughly point per game or better his entire NHL career. 

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

Sure, Cole didn't make any terrible mistakes last night. Him and Juulsen were fairly steady most of the game. 

I mainly took issue with the other two D pairings. 

Even Hronek is getting a bit of a bad wrap, imo. For example, the Jesper Bratt goal where he pinchs down and the 2-1 happened. Mostly just a bad bounce.

They had two guys there to retrieve. Lafferty gets his stick lifted and the puck slides through to Hronek which bounces hard off his skate... right to Jesper Bratt.

The game was riddled was bad bounces in the first two periods imo. A few big unforced errors as well though. For example, Myers and Zadorov.

Obv the Myers pass to Jack was a colossal wtf. He should have fired it back behind the net for Zadorov to pick up... but Zadorov missed his assignment ending up in the corner right next to him and leaving net front wide open. Myers brain froze up thinking about what to do next and voila.

I mean Myers could've stepped on it, protected it for another second or two, waited for JT who was well on his way  to help. Would've given Zadorov time to get repositioned in front or at least help fight to keep possession in the corner, but no. It is the nature of the giraffe to do giraffe things.

Myers might as well have turned and fired the puck directly at Demko himself at that point. Probably a better play tbh. Demmers could pad kick the fucking thing out of the zone at least. Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Well I think that profile fit Pettersson after the 2021 season. Perhaps it would have been better to extend Petey long term for 8.5 x 8 (or heck even 9 x 8 ? 

Edited by iinatcc

1 minute ago, Juice said:

Even Hronek is getting a bit of a bad wrap, imo. For example, the Jesper Bratt goal where he pinchs down and the 2-1 happened. Mostly just a bad bounce.

They had two guys there to retrieve. Lafferty gets his stick lifted and the puck slides through to Hronek which bounces hard off his skate... right to Jesper Bratt.

The game was riddled was bad bounces in the first two periods imo. A few big unforced errors as well though. For example, Myers and Zadorov.

Obv the Myers pass to Jack was a colossal wtf. He should have fired it back behind the net for Zadorov to pick up... but Zadorov missed his assignment ending up in the corner right next to him and leaving net front wide open. Myers brain froze up thinking about what to do next and voila.

I mean Myers could've stepped on it, protected it for another second or two, waited for JT who was well on his way  to help. Would've given Zadorov time to get repositioned in front or at least help fight to keep possession in the corner, but no. It is the nature of the giraffe to do giraffe things.

Myers might as well have turned and fired the puck directly at Demko himself at that point. Probably a better play tbh. Demmers could pad kick the fucking thing out of the zone at least. Lol

Demko cost us the game. He wasn’t good. DeSmith will get the net now. And it’s potentially his to keep. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

in fairness Suter at 3C and Blueger at 4 was the plan 

injuries are seriously hampering our ability to play. And again, in fairness, this is what JR said this team would be. “A playoff team if everything goes perfectly” (paraphrase) 

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well I think that profile fit Pettersson after the 2021 season. Perhaps it would have been better to extend Petey long term for 8.5 x 8 (or heck even 9 x 8 ? 

Probably, we can blame Benning era management for not getting more term out of Pettersson's camp at the time

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sorry if a player is good enough to be a NHLer, he should be able to make that switch (particularly one of Tanev's calibre).  Would his performance be effected at least a bit?  Sure, Ideally, you want 3 LD & 3 RD.  But frankly, I'd rather have all LEFT side D if they were legitimate NHLers vs 3 rights & 3 lefts if half of them were of Juulsen's ability.

Tell that to Tocchet and the rest of the NHL coaches. Shit, why not have some of the players change which hand they shoot while they're at it. Petey should switch to a right handed stick since we've been looking for more right shooting centers.

It's harder for defenceman to play the puck on the boards properly if their stick is facing the wrong way. They have to make the majority of the plays on their backhand. You don't want to handicap your own team and you don't want to force a mistake at crucial times in the game.

Some players like Quinn Hughes are good enough that they can do it. The majority of players, even NHL'ers, you don't want playing at less than optimal levels when guys like Jack Hughes are breathing down their necks. Having said that I don't have the biggest problem with it but Tanev isn't a player that has ever played there and I don't see management bringing in a guy to force him into playing a different position. Doesn't sound like a very safe plan and seems incredibly silly. We're desperate for RD, Myers is gone next year so we're going to sign a RD and play him on the left side. Ok then. :picard:

Sorry, that plan makes zero sense. 

Edited by Gawdzukes

31 minutes ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

GCG

Well if you're Chris Pronger 😊

(Flyers had all left side D when they reached the Finals one year; granted one of those six was Pronger in his prime).

My point is, would you rather have three Juulsen types in your top six or three legitimate NHL D playing on their off side?  Again, ideally you want three natural L & R side D.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Yup.  While shooting the puck more is important for Kuz.  And also while defensive plays with and without the puck are important as well. The main criticism I hear from RT is that Kuz doesn't forecheck hard enough. Probably grew up in Russia and coddled as the "sniper" and it was understood that he wasn't required to get his mitts dirty. That was someone else's job. I have some sympathy for him and the learning curve, if that's the only way he's understood his game. But on the other hand, its  not rocket science to muck it up in the corners.

Funny enough RT said “let’s start w that (forecheck).”  

Prior to this year, Boeser just didnt have the conditioning to be effective w/o the puck. I suspect something similar is going on w Kuz.

I do like Kuz on the PP.  I just dont know if he has the luxury of time though.  

Very curious what Allvin and Milsteins conversations are like right now. 

• Cheers 1