PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

That was not good. There is no excuse losing a 1st period like that if our team is as good as they all (we all) think they are. I hope Tocchet rips some new ones tonight. A whole lot of players need to be a lot more accountable.  Coaching needs to be a whole lot more accountable. We have all this talent and they are not showing up. Hronek, Zadorov, Cole, Myers (arghh) and even Hughes need to be better. Demko had a shitty night, but his defense did him no favours. What a disappointing game.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Miller said it right. We sucked and there's no excuse for it. Tocchet  said we blew it allowing four goals in the first. 

We have to find different approaches for different teams. 

Yes let’s continue to hear how you sucked but not change anything. Where have we heard this before.

• Cheers 1

Just now, MJDDawg said:

Demmer didn’t look like himself from the opening shot. 

Petey looks like he’d rather be playing in Florida or L.A.  Anywhere warm where he doesn’t have to speak to reporters and is not recognized on the street.

That's EXACTLY the impression I get. He exudes aloofness, and a somewhat impetuous attitude at times.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Demmer didn’t look like himself from the opening shot. 

Petey looks like he’d rather be playing in Florida or L.A.  Anywhere warm where he doesn’t have to speak to reporters and is not recognized on the street.

Yeah why I said since the summer I don't really care if Petey re-signs or not. Give the feeling he rather be anywhere but the spotlight. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it of with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

Give JT the top line, leading with heart, passion, and legit power forward BDE.

Not a crazy idea. If we reach next summer and Petey won't re-sign for a reasonable cap hit and term I would favor the trade.

Hard to tell if Petey likes being here or not. He is definitely tired of losing and he also obviously does not like answering questions from the media. But if the team has a good season -- makes the playoffs and maybe wins a round, I think Petey would be a lot happier.  

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I was at the game tonight. The 3rd period comeback was great to see and then the Devils' winning goal with half a minute left was a huge letdown. 

Here are some of the key points from my point of view.

1. The Devils scored 4 goals on their first 8 shots, seemingly putting the game out of reach early. I wouldn't "blame" Demko for any of the goals, but he did not look sharp tonight. Most nights he stops one or two or maybe three of the 6 that went in. And his rebound control was shakey. The D in front of him was not good but his expected goals number was about 3.5 and his actual goals number was 6 so he had about 2.5 more goals allowed than expected. This is an unusually poor number for that stat--the worst of the season for Demmer.  

2. If Demmer is his usual self, I think the Canucks win this game. The Canucks won the expected goals battle. 

3. The D in front of Demmer was not good enough. The Myers -- Zadorov pair struggled and that was largely due to Myers. A Myers giveaway led to the second goal (although Zadorov was out of position) and Myers had poor underlying stats overall.  Juulsen was okay and is getting the most out of his talent level. The problem is that his talent level is not very high and he played only 10 minutes tonight. Hronek has looked very good with Hughes this year. But part of that is due to Hughes. With other partners Hronek looks no better that "pretty good". Cole's inability to clear the puck or exit the zone hurt the team and was a key reason the Canucks could not get the game to OT. We need a bounceback from the D as a group next game. 

4. Hoglander was excellent by the eye test, scored a nice goal, and was +2. And he had the best underlying stats on the team. Shots were 10-1 for the Canucks with him on the ice and he scored a nice goal. 

5. The forwards as a group were pretty good, except for Kuzmenko. The line of Miller, Boeser and Kuzy struggled, while the line of Miller, Boeser and Hogs dominated.  Boeser continues to play well and it was nice to see him extend his league lead in goals scored.  

Seriously your breakdowns are the best. Do you work in hockey or as a coach in another sport?

Can you get a side hustle at the Athletic? I prefer you to Drance.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Not a crazy idea. If we reach next summer and Petey won't re-sign for a reasonable cap hit and term I would favor the trade.

Hard to tell if Petey likes being here or not. He is definitely tired of losing and he also obviously does not like answering questions from the media. But if the team has a good season -- makes the playoffs and maybe wins a round, I think Petey would be a lot happier.  

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If the Canucks were a sub-500 team, I would say entertain the bids from multiple teams and anyone who gives the equivalent of 3-4 1st round picks in prospects and picks, gets him.

However, the 2023 Canucks seem to be a playoff team and the front office appears to be competent, so I say give them a chance to put together a Stanley Cup roster.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of a trade.

Great points, and thanks for replying at 1am. Maybe he’s just irritated by contract talks, and he signs here tomorrow, 😂.

He DID say in his interview that he likes big cities like Stockholm and Vancouver, so….

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Seriously your breakdowns are the best. Do you work in hockey or as a coach in another sport?

Can you get a side hustle at the Athletic? I prefer you to Drance.

It is nice to see at least one person here in a great mood.  Happy birthday man

• Cheers 1

Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

one of the worst Defensive performances of the year and then after working so hard to tie the game up ....they fracking stop playing!!! WTAF.....they are fracking pretenders at this stage and until they get their D structure to be more consistent..they are going no where....and FFS bench that chaos Giraffe once and for all.....SHYTE! ...sigh...rant over

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Cole's inability to clear the puck or exit the zone hurt the team and was a key reason the Canucks could not get the game to OT

This is wrong.

Dakota Joshua cost that goal.

Cole was passing it up to Joshua on the boards to clear. But Joshua isn't able to do so being pressured from behind.

Puck makes it's way to the point, Joshua is following his man back towards the net, gives him a little tap with the stick and then let's the guy go!!

Then Joshua is out there standing in fucking no man's land covering nobody holding his dick!

His man comes around the back of the net and pots in the rebound.

Everyone is covering their man except for him.

Sure, we can say the "failed clear" is what did it. But Cole is trusting Joshua to do his job here. And not once but twice did Joshua fail to do so.

Joshua. Not Cole.

Either way, I don't expect to see Joshua out in the final minute of a close game again any time soon. No doubt Tocchet is kicking himself for that one.

Edited by Juice
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Juice said:

This is wrong.  Dakota Joshua cost that goal.  Cole was passing it up to Joshua on the boards to clear. But Joshua isn't able to do so being pressured from behind.  Puck makes it's way to the point, Joshua is following his man back towards the net, gives him a little tap with the stick and then let's the guy go!!  Then Joshua is out there standing in fucking no man's land covering nobody holding his dick!  His man comes around the back of the net and pots in the rebound.  Everyone is covering their man except for him.  Sure, we can say the "failed clear" is what did it. But Cole is trusting Joshua to do his job here. And not once but twice did Joshua fail to do so.  Joshua. Not Cole.  Either way, I don't expect to see Joshua out in the final minute of a close game again any time soon. No doubt Tocchet is kicking himself for that one.

I felt like I was reading a text message there.

Nobody performed well in the final three minutes.  Nobody.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Great points, and thanks for replying at 1am. Maybe he’s just irritated by contract talks, and he signs here tomorrow, 😂.

He DID say in his interview that he likes big cities like Stockholm and Vancouver, so….

Happy birthday!  Positive isn't a bad thing.  I tend to land in the middle. He wai i i see it Things are never as bad as some people see them out to be abd they're never as rosy as others see them.  

With regards to Pettersson I think it's akin to being caught between a rock and a hard spot.  You'll never get equivalent value in  trade, at best you might get a couple great pieces, but will you get an elite piece in return? Probably  not.  

I guess it comes down to Pettersson's desire to stay and the contract hes willing to accept.  Its not an enviable situation.  If you trade him and end up with nothing of vakue in the long run (think the Patrick Roy trade) you can damage your franchise for a long time.  Or you can do realy well and get some cornerstone pieces (like buffalo got out of the Eichel trade).  On the flip side if you sign him at all cost you can hamstring your franchise like Edmonton and Toronto have done.  Top heavy with no depth.

I won't speculate on if there's an issue or not.  It could just be that hes streaky.  He wouldn't be the first player to run hot and cold.  I think back to Alex Kovalev.  The guy could be the best player in the league for a stretch, then disappear. Whether or not that's the case here or not remains to be seen. 

Interesting and nerve wracking time 

• Huggy Bear 1

Knew we weren't going to win this game, NJD have our number. Terrible way to drop so quickly in the game and even more brutal way to lose the game but good to see some fight-back and tie the game. That was the only bright spot. Some forwards get some nice points but boy did our defence suck and Demko wasn't great either. NJD haven't been playing well lately and they came in and exposed us. Zadorov and Hronek looked pretty rubbish against top-end skilled, fast forwards which is a real shame.

Tocchet won't be happy with this performance, an 11 goal outing is never a coach's dream but especially the way we played in this one. Got to be more consistent and stronger defensively as a team, can't just play 5 good games defensively and then drop 3 or 4.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Huggy Bear said:

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it off with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

Give JT the top line, leading with heart, passion, and legit power forward BDE.

@-dlc- @Grandmaster @Elias Pettersson @JamesB @SilentSam @Darius @Salacious Crumb @Goal_thecup @Goalie29 @I.Am.Ironman @stawns @Gurn @AatuD2 @aGENT @ABNuck @Bounce000 @Ballisticsports @Canuckfanforlife82 @Caboose @D.B Cooper @EdgarM@Fantomex @Fanuck @garthsbutcher @Gassy Jack @Gawdzukes @Hairy Kneel @Hammertime @Harvey Specter @I.AM.THE.WALRUS @John.Tallhouse @J-23 @Jack Fig @PhillipBlunt @Phil_314 @LaBamba @Miss Korea @Mando27 @N4ZZY @Qwags @qwijjibo @Ralph. @Rip The Mesh @Ribs @R3aL @Sophomore Jinx @brilac @NucksFan @Canucks_fo_life @Sabrefan1 @The Duke @UnkNuk @VanCanFan @wai_lai416 @Warhippy @xMagnus @viking mama @canuck73_3@Zippy

@Rocket-68 @Sharpshooter@PeteyBoeser

@Bob Long @MeanSeanBean @Wilbur @higgyfan @RWJC @24K

@Dr. Crossbar @DownUndaCanuck @Down By the River

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

Also just realizing, in real time, what a great community this is. That wasn’t hard to rattle of ~60 names I remember and respect. I have a health issue that affects my memory, so it’s probably over 100!

These boards are special. Got me through my worst lows. 

Thanks!

PS

Who’s the guy from Victoria that loved when I mentioned him twice in a post on CDC? He’s awesome and loves the Macho Man king gif?  I will edit this and mention him3x.

Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

Yup

read my mind

trade Petey 

get a good CENTER who shows up and competes with attitude character speed size talent 

and a top 4 D 

Dump Myers ffs 🤦 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1