PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

I have a feeling that Demko is injured

he’s been playing very average as of late on a consistent basis…

our best players must be burnt out and we definitely miss Soucy and Suter…

The question is what’s up with the lack of production from

Mr Bali - the Kuzinator 

and Petey… 

we need to trade Petey he’s too fragile 

Put Myers in the minors… 

addition by subtraction…

On the other hand we’ve had a much better start than last year thanks to a competent general manager grabbing decent players and such 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Jesus one loss and people are talking about trading Pettersson lol get a god damn grip. No wonder no one takes us seriously. 

It's a bit extreme to suggest a trade, but you haven't been watching Canucks if you think it's one loss that has fans upset with Pettersson.  Our team hasn't looked good enough for some time now.  I'm very thankful for those early points banked up.

5 minutes ago, Believeinblue said:

You gotta call an ace an ace. Team’s playing like hit garbage. No desperation no attention to detail. But some will continue to make excuses for this trash. It’s not just one game teams been losing consistently to bad and good teams in recent memory. 

There are definitely some issues to be addressed, with or without Soucy.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Believeinblue said:

You gotta call an ace an ace. Team’s playing like hit garbage. No desperation no attention to detail. But some will continue to make excuses for this trash. It’s not just one game teams been losing consistently to bad and good teams in recent memory. 

A spade a spade.   Hot garbage.  

Grammar/spelling police (lol sorry!).   It's disappointing, to come out and tie the game like that, and blow a tire just before OT.   On to the next one.   This home stand is their chance.   They better realize that and make the best of it too.   

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

I'm with you, EP doesn't always play to the level I want but there aren't many Sydney Crosby's in the league.  

Petey currently has more points than any center in the league except for JT Miller.  He has been a point per game player since he got here. 

It often seems this group is always trying to play gm and prefers trades and drafting to actually being a hockey fan.  

Our team had a shitty period and then mounted a comeback and then fell short.  Now, according to this site, Demko's playing injured and we should trade one of the top 5 centers imho in the league.

Teams done enough to deserve our patience.    That's management, and the coaching staff too.    Christmas is usually a pretty good indicator, on where teams stand.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I don't understand what the issue is. RT is clearly frustrated and saying guys aren't playing the system. 

3 in the corner, no one in the middle of the ice etc. 

I wish the reporter would ask the players post-game what the cause is. Do they not know where they are supposed to be?  Do they not trust the system and so they're doing their own thing?

Just curious if it's skill or will. 

The way NJ transitioned the puck and created odd man rushes was what we were doing at the start of the year. 

Yesterday was a brutal game to watch because the players weren't there mentally

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

I'm with you, EP doesn't always play to the level I want but there aren't many Sydney Crosby's in the league.  

Petey currently has more points than any center in the league except for JT Miller.  He has been a point per game player since he got here. 

It often seems this group is always trying to play gm and prefers trades and drafting to actually being a hockey fan.  

Our team had a shitty period and then mounted a comeback and then fell short.  Now, according to this site, Demko's playing injured and we should trade one of the top 5 centers imho in the league.

You do realize the bulk of those points came during the first 15 games, right?  Pettersson has fallen into a slump ever since.  He doesn't look effective on 5v5 and powerplays right now.  Part of that falls on his wingers performing poorly (hence why Lafferty was brought up), but that doesn't explain why he looks bad on the PP.

That doesn't mean we should trade Pettersson.  But you can't frame his current point total like he's maintained a steady level of production throughout.  He has not.

26 minutes ago, Zodiak said:

Scratch this game. Forget it happened and get ready for minny. 

You can't just keep scratching games.  We've been giving up quite a few goals in our losses lately.  This loss wasn't a one-off situation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Jesus one loss and people are talking about trading Pettersson lol get a god damn grip. No wonder no one takes us seriously. 

I'm not advocating that we should trade Petey but we should stop and ask ourselves what is he actually worth?

Things may change in the future but up until now he hasn't been the guy that drags his team into the fight and elevates the team's play. Petey has shown that when the team is playing well he is also playing well and putting up a lot of points. However when the team is not playing well, he falls under the radar and hasn't been the guy that gets his team going.

Is Petey really worth 2-3m more than Miller currently? Or are we paying for potential as he is still relatively young?

I would advocate a bridge deal. Petey bet on himself this year but I've come to realize that he still has a ways to go before he commands top 5 money. I think it's debatable whether he's even the 1C here currently

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The 1st period is what broke us; in that we had to chase another game. It does seem that Demmer is not quite himself the past few games. We've been a 500 team as of late and if not for our successful start, we'd be in a worse position to be sure.

I'm confident that we'll get back to the win column. I'm venturing a guess that minor injury bugs are hampering performance for some. But the mental lapses is probably an indication of possible fatigue issues. 

We've a completely different team make up. I like the new changes from PA's multiple moves to acquire such; perhaps the negative aspects of each player's games are being exposed. Certainly Management took all aspects of players we signed/traded for and took the chance that their positives outweigh the negatives; complimenting our team needs.

Yea. The 3rd period comeback was the bomb and it was exciting to watch. However it sucked that we to even had to do that. On the positive side our offence showed they're a force to be reckoned with. However the team as of late can't seem to play a 60min Tochett game. 

I dunno. Don't get me wrong. I'm not ragging' on anyone in particular. All this talk of Petey trades and Tochett firing, (Are they in jest, or are the poster's serious!) is disturbing to me. I guess it's just the usual behavioural patterns of some after a Canucks loss. Truth be told, after a game like last night.....uhhhhh.....sure. It's warranted.

14 minutes ago, Sativika said:

The 1st period is what broke us; in that we had to chase another game. It does seem that Demmer is not quite himself the past few games. We've been a 500 team as of late and if not for our successful start, we'd be in a worse position to be sure.

I'm confident that we'll get back to the win column. I'm venturing a guess that minor injury bugs are hampering performance for some. But the mental lapses is probably an indication of possible fatigue issues. 

We've a completely different team make up. I like the new changes from PA's multiple moves to acquire such; perhaps the negative aspects of each player's games are being exposed. Certainly Management took all aspects of players we signed/traded for and took the chance that their positives outweigh the negatives; complimenting our team needs.

Yea. The 3rd period comeback was the bomb and it was exciting to watch. However it sucked that we to even had to do that. On the positive side our offence showed they're a force to be reckoned with. However the team as of late can't seem to play a 60min Tochett game. 

I dunno. Don't get me wrong. I'm not ragging' on anyone in particular. All this talk of Petey trades and Tochett firing, (Are they in jest, or are the poster's serious!) is disturbing to me. I guess it's just the usual behavioural patterns of some after a Canucks loss. Truth be told, after a game like last night.....uhhhhh.....sure. It's warranted.

I thought demmer was hung out to dry a lot. Especially in the 1st. I think this team got caught up in the "hughes bowl" and got away from their game. Chasing big hits while allowing odd man rushes isn't a recipe for success. 

Nbd on to the next one.

Last thought. 

I never thought soucey would have the impact that he has had on this team. We miss that guy dearly.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Who doesn't take us seriously?

I'll have a talk with them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, WillisD said:

Seems like the players have had "too much coaching" and are not playing to their natural strengths. Thinking too much 

Or... 

Not thinking at all 

Id rather players conform to the system and then play creatively within that structure than have players that either don't have the capability to learn the system or simply refuses to do it 

Funny how first 15 games, the players staff fans are all raving about the strong systems play while we watch the top 3 point getters wear canucks jerseys. 

Now we question the system while players aren't even playing it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 1-d said:

Not at all, Sir Blunt. I just got... a void, emptiness.

This team couldn't even defend for 2 minutes after coming all the way back to tie the game. All they had to do was keeping the puck out of their zone, icing or whatever.

It was a poor showing. No doubt. 

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Or... 

Not thinking at all 

Id rather players conform to the system and then play creatively within that structure than have players that either don't have the capability to learn the system or simply refuses to do it 

Funny how first 15 games, the players staff fans are all raving about the strong systems play while we watch the top 3 point getters wear canucks jerseys. 

Now we question the system while players aren't even playing it. 

Whatever the case may be I sure hope they pull out of this quick. Sad to see the club slipping after so much optimism 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

If Pettersson wants a trade then the organization might be in serious trouble.

The only hope is that another centre also requests a trade from his team. The chances of that happening are not great. Honestly if he wants out we are in trouble, unless we get lucky and trade him for a McTavish player, which has zero chance of happening.

I don’t see how 1st round picks help us in this case, unless we get a 2C and picks. 1st round picks might not be the worst thing though with Nylander, Stamkos and Reinhart potentially going to free agency.

Hopefully Pettersson just signs his extension soon and we find him some top line wingers who can win puck battles.

• Huggy Bear 1